1995 1.8 - Replacing CV boot - trier
On my 1995 passat 8v 1.8 saloon the offside inner cv joint requires a new gaiter. haynes suggests dealer as special tools required to remove inner joint. Looking at it if the outer joint is first removed it seems possible to drag a gaiter over the length of the shaft, from inner to outer. There is a balance weight on the shaft which looks detachable. The original inner gaiter has no clips but appears to be held in place by the last plate on the inner joint. My question is has anyone tried replacing the inner gaiter this way and if so is it easy? thanks in advance for any helpful remarks.
s

Edited by Webmaster on 20/12/2008 at 19:15

Replacing CV boot on 1995 model. - trier
Just an addition to the passat gaiter; I should have said "drag a gaiter...from OUTER to INNER"
Replacing CV boot on 1995 model. - tujags
I know this is an old post but I have just done this job, the reason Haynes says take to dealer is because you have to remove & replace a circlip holding the joint on the shaft the joint has a belville washer behind it & needs to be pressed down to fit the circlip. It is possible if you can hold the shaft vertically firmly say in a soft jaw vice fit the belville, CV joint & position the circlip I found a socket that fitted over the shaft end positioned it on top of the circlip you then apply pressure on the 'assembly' I used a long bar as a lever & need to rig up something to act as a fulcrum pulled down on the socket to press the assembly down the shaft only has to move a couple of millimetres & the circlip will pop in to its groove bed it in with a hammer & punch to ensure it is seated in the groove all round. The boot I got from GSF about £11.00 it has a metal flange which fits over the end of the CVJ

Replacing CV boot on 1995 model. - tujags
Must be caatching I've just done the identical job on my daughter's 1995 Vento!
Replacing CV boot on 1995 model. - v8man
I have also completed said job on my wife's 1995 Passat 1.9Tdi.