(98-04) 1.6 - spark plug change - maltrap
My 1.6 golf engine type BFQ is due for it's first plug change, sounds easy except the plugs are buried beneath the inlet manifold i've always changed plugs myself but these look a bit complicated,any suggestions?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/12/2007 at 12:39

spark plug change - Screwloose

Brilliant piece of design...

You can - just - get them out; but you'll need a selection of good tools.
spark plug change - VR6
Can you not buy a special tool for the job? My VW VR6 engine is the same. It came with a plastic plug remover clipped to the bonnet stay. The plastic one is a bit useless and melts if you use it on a hot engine, but you can buy aftermarket metal ones.
spark plug change - camel
Hi Maltrap

Did you ever come right with learning how to ge to your spark plugs. I am trying to do exactly that at the moment and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to them behind what looks to be the fuel enjection inlet manifold.

Please help?
(98-04) 1.6 - spark plug change - Ian J
Hi have changed plugs on 1.4 dohc engine - quick look at Haynes manual suggests 1.6 similar.
First you have to remove plastic cover on top of engine ,in my case used alum key to remove bolts. You then need to remove tray holding ht cables and remove carefully ht leads. This will pull these off plugs.
You then need a long plug spanner socket to acees plus which are deeply recessed.
When fitting new plugs be careful not to crossthread - I use a bit of rubber pipe over plug to screw in intially. This will avoid cross threading since rubber pipe will slip if threds crossthreaded. Once initially threaded use plug socket to tighten to correct torque.
Kind Regards
the 1.6 is different the plugs are buried beneath a plastic inlet manifold which i think splits,i haven't got round to doing mine yet, the best advice i can offer is to get hold of a haynes manual.
(98-04) 1.6 - spark plug change - Screwloose

You can get them out; as I mentioned before, the secret is in all the different tools you'll need.

A basic plug-spanner will not suffice; you'll need at least a swivel-head 3/8th drive ratchet and a good medium-length plug socket - one with a hex on the outside so that you can get a spanner on it.
trust me screwloose to get the plugs out on a BFQ engine without shifting the inlet manifold you,d have to call yourself PAUL DANIELS.
(98-04) 1.6 - spark plug change - Screwloose

It's been done....
i've had another close look & it,s difficult to even see plugs 3&4 let alone get the leads off & plug spanner on, there,s an air pump bolted onto the plastic inlet manifold as well as the manifold to get out of the way!

Edited by maltrap on 31/12/2007 at 14:57

i've had another close look & it,s difficult to even see plugs 3&4 let alone get the leads off & plug spanner on, there,s an air pump bolted onto the plastic inlet manifold as well as the manifold to get out of the way!