'99 Can't disengage childlock. - corsair
I have a 1999V Volvo S80 but I believe that the same problem can affect V70s. The nearside rear passenger door handle has failed and unfortunately the childproof lock was engaged, meaning that I cannot open the car from the inside. The outside door handle simply does not engage with the lock in the usual way - it acts as if the locks were operative. This happened after the door had only partially closed and I closed it by pushing on the door itself. The doors were all unlocked at that time.

I have been told that the only solution is to remove the door skin to access the lock - this will mean a new door skin at £250 , as well as labour and presumably a respray!

Has any other Volvo owner had this unfortunate experience - surely there should be some clever technical fix without all this dismantling?

Slight amendment to subject header to remove shouting and indicate problem - PU
'99 Can't disengage childlock. - injection doc
I have come across this on several cars in the past & tackled it in various ways!, one is too remove seats & door card from inside to access lock assembly, sometimes door card has to be destroyed but normally can get s/hand or from manufacturer.check the price of door card 1st, if its £100 then worth destroying to get to door workings quickly to save big labour bill, sometimes I have accessed the bolts for the striker plate under the wheel arch & drilled out to get door open, but some vehicles striker plate bolts not accessable from under arch!.
On one vehicle once I managed to access the switch for the child lock with a coat hanger from inside the car going via the rubber seal & shed loads of patience & disengage lock & open door from outside.
Regards Doc
'99 Can't disengage childlock. - Cyd
With the front door open see if you can access the hinge bolts to undo them. If you can, swing the door out as far as you can at the front and use a hacksaw blade to cut the striker pin. Used to get Range Rover rear doors open this way. Or you might be able to access the child lock lever this way.
'99 Can't disengage childlock. - corsair
Thanks guys - very helpful. I use an independent Volvo garage and will put these points to the guy who looks after the car. I cannot believe that I am alone in this though - has anyone had this actual experience on an S80 or V70, and what was the outcome? Or do most people never use childlocks?!