1996 420 SLDI Hissing Sound. - 420 Turbo Diesel
Hi all,I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on a fault I have got with my 1996 Rover 420 SLDI.This fault has suddenly appeared,when I am driving it and the turbo comes in (boosts) I get a loud hissing sound from under the bonnett.I have visually checked the turbo and intercooler hoses and nothing appears to be split.It gets louder at the turbo boosts more.Has anyone got any ideas what could be causing it? Many Thanks Andrew...
--
I do like my Diesels to be Turbocharged for that extra OOMPH!!!

{Duplicate postings in the classifieds & discussion forums deleted - DD}
Rover 1996 420 SLDI Hissing Sound. - Screwloose
Andrew

Sounds like a boost leak all right. If there's no sign [usually oil stains] of a turbo pipe leak; then check for a split/holed intercooler or a failed hoseclip that leaks under pressure.

Check also for any small hoses blown off the inlet manifold.
Rover 1996 420 SLDI Hissing Sound. - ssray
As you have a intercooler its probably one of the hoses to that, I had the same sort of thing on my non intercooled 420td and it was the rubber manifold(?) between the turbo and the inlet manifold, it comes loose and needs better hose clips on it.
Ray
Thankyou Screwloose and ssray for your very helpfull replies.It was indeed a split hose.The top intercooler hose had a chunk out of it,I have managed to successfully repair it by sleeving it..Many Thanks again,,,Andrew...
--
I do like my Diesels to be Turbocharged for that extra OOMPH!!!!
1996 420 SLDI Hissing Sound. - milkyjoe
just a thought, have you been using snake oil to clean out the injectors?(couldnt resit this)
Yes you are dead right,I have been using Hissing Sid Diesel Treatment,"Puts the Hiss" back in :)
Andrew...
--
I do like my Diesels to be Turbocharged for that extra OOMPH!!!!