Handbrake Adjustment on 94 model. - sierraman
Anyone know where the handbrake cable adjuster is on a 94 Clio 1.4?I am assuming behind the exhaust heat shield,but would like to know for sure before removing them.
Does nobody know?Surely someone has a Haynes for this car.I need to adjust the h/brake for a girl with no left arm,as it is she is struggling to operate the h/brake with her right .
Handbrake Adjustment on 94 model. - Civic8
Not sure but would it not be easier to adjust the rear brakes as usually this brings the handbrake adjustment up,assuming that's what is needed?? you didn't say
Handbrake Adjustment on 94 model. - Talking Hoarse
I think dk54 is right. First thing is to adjust rear brakes. Remove drums and twiddle the adjusters - mine never self adjust as I think they should. You will need your reading glasses as one side is left hand thread. You need new lock nuts for each wheel hub - from Renault dealer. I have never adjusted the cables on my "shed", but Haynes suggests that the adjusters are hidden by the Cat (which will be well and truly rusted into place unless you are lucky).
Handbrake Adjustment on 94 model. - AndyT
Strange, I thought I had posted something similar yesterday... must have previewed and forgot to post!

Anyway, on a couple of Clio diesels I've owned, the adjuster was above the exhaust heat shield at about where the rear footwell is. Haynes say to adjust so that both drum levers move from their stops between the 1st and 2nd click on the handbrake lever.

They also state the need to remove drums first, and free the self-adjusters, otherwise the pedal travel will get longer for the footbrake if wear is taken up by adjusting the handbrake first. Drum nut torque = 160Nm/118Lb/ft.
Thanks for that,have already done the brakes,replaced leaky cylinder,checked shoes(as good as the new ones I bought,as worn shoes was my first thought).Drums are just catching on the shoes so adjustment seems OK.Handbrake travel isn't excessive,but the owner would like it a bit lower to make it easier to operate with the right hand.