Michelin Tyres - Deskpilot
I have owned the above car from new since April 2007, and due to a loud creaking sound on passing over any undulation, the rear springs were replaced by Honda as a "Known Fault". Apparently those fitted slipped around in the "cup" ends.

My moan is that the ride given by this car is abyssmal. Every surface pot hole, ridge or whatever, no matter the size, is felt to such an extent that it makes driving it a very annoying and unpleasant experience. In fact, it is so bad that I feel I will just have to replace it, regardless of the loss I will obviously make.

Having discussed this matter with my very helpful Service Manager, he too is at a loss at what to look at next. I thought it might be the shock absorbers at fault but he feels that if they were the problem, the car would wallow at such times, rather than knock.

My attention has therefore turned to the tyres fitted (As quoted above) which Honda gives pressures of 30psi for normal loading. In fact, I'm considering trying the pressures at 28psi all round to see if this makes any difference to the ride and drive, in general.

Has anyone any experience of this problem with the Honda CRV (Sport) Petrol Automatic in particular, or the Michelin tyres fitted, as quoted above, please.

Michelin Tyres - injection doc
I had a2006 2.2 crv apart from the fact that it drove like a boat & the passanger side glove box went all the way to the floor which was appalling & the constant wine from the pulleys area it was fine but is yours the new shape? I trust tey don't still fit packing pieces in the suspension for shipping? ( some will remember the TR7 days when many were left running around with packing wedges in the suspension).
Have you tried driving another one/ if its a sport it may well have stiffer suspension!, I think you will find tyre pressures will help.
Good luck Doc
Michelin Tyres - Bill Payer
Is it on 18" wheels? If so, perhaps swapping them for 17" would make a difference (and be cheaper than changing the car).

Have you tried another on different tyres?

Michelin car tyres are normally noted for beng softer riding - don't know if same applies to SUV tyres.
I run mine (on a car) 2lbs below the recommended setting, but I'd be wary of doing that on an SUV in case the sidewalls flexed too much and overheated the tyre.
Yes, this is the 2007 (New shape) Honda CRV III and is fitted with 17" Michelin "Latitude" tyres size 225/65/R17.
"Sport" in Honda "speak" only refers to the equipment levels and not its functionality.
(These comments are addressed to all you kind "responders").

There is certainly a difference in the ride between the demonstrator I drove on two occasions, covering some 15 miles each time over fairly rough country roads off the A370 (W-S-Mare), when I found the car to be very comfortable. Needless to say, I bought my car based on this experience.

Believe it or not, my son-in-law bought the diesel version at more or less the same time as me - in fact, we did a doubled up transaction with the dealer. He finds his is just fine and I am waiting to get my hands on it. However, as I've discussed with him, his is diesel against my petrol version and his engine may well be heavier.

Anyway, I have appointment with my Service Manager shortly with reference to the problem quoted and to excessive wind and passing traffic noise on the driver's side. The door looks slightly misaligned i.e. the top chrome trim of back and front doors is not level.

I do pick 'em, don't I???
Michelin Tyres - hondadriver
I have had the same ride problem with my 07 CRV. It is an EX model fitted with 18 inch wheels. I tried lowering the tyre pressures down as far as 26 lbs,but handling suffered, although the ride was better. I have now fitted 17 inch wheels with Bridgestone Duellers which has helped a lot. Unfortunately, it is still unacceptable compared with previous CRVS that I have had. I seem to be able to feel almost every ripple in the road surface. At night, I can not only see the road surface in the headlights, I can feel it at the same time! Have you had any success in solving your problem?
sq

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 10/01/2008 at 21:57

Michelin Tyres - NARU
Please don't quote the whole of the previous message!

Ta. Chopped it now.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 10/01/2008 at 21:58

My CRV III is fitted with 17" wheels and I am still living with the "bucking broncho" effect.

For whatever reason it seems to knock less when I am driving alone, but occupancy of the front passenger seat brings out the worst!.

I now drive with the tyres at about 28.5 psi, which seems to help somewhat but like yourself, the ride isn't a patch on my previous CRV's.

From another site I see that a number of drivers of this same vehicle are complaining of a compelling drift to the left hand side of the road. Perhaps we should consider ourselves fortunate!
Michelin Tyres - hondadriver
I am now running my tyres at 25 lbs. The ride is a little bouncy, but I don't get as many complaints from the passenger seat. My wife had back surgery 15 years ago so is more sensitive than me. NEVER complained in 10 years of CRV ownership. Had hoped that changing to 17 inch wheels would do the trick. My car is also petrol auto. Worst sympton now is the sharp vertical shock,together with a thump. Particularly from the back. Almost feels like the suspension is coming up and hitting the bump stop. Letting the tyres down has cost about a mile per gallon. Always used Bridgestone Duellers. Will discuss with dealer soon . Have you tried the 19 inch wheels? You can feel a matchstick
SNIPQUOTE!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/01/2008 at 21:20

Michelin Tyres - Bill Black
Here in Norway everybody has two sets of tyres/wheels and changes over twice a year each summer/winter. Some time ago I had a fairly lengthy discussion on here about excessive road noise in my 07 CR-V EX petrol/auto with (summer) Dunlops on 18" wheels. At the moment I'm on (winter) 17" Continental Conti4x4IceContacts that give a quieter ride, but being softer also give heavier steering. I've adjusted air pressures up and down on both sets of tyres, but really found no appreciable effect (i.e. improvement) either way. I've never noticed the car pulling to the left either, which is another common complaint about the CR-V3.
In fact from the description of your experiences above, plus the other posts about the pulling, I'm really starting to wonder if Honda have a build quality problem in Swindon. I've experienced nothing like any of this in the year I've had the car, and the ride is certainly better than the RAV4 I tried, although admittedly harsher than the Freelander2 (at twice the price).
Apart from easily scuffed hard plastics in the cabin I'm really happy with mine, it's perfect for the snowy winter conditions here, and the part-time 4 wheel drive works a treat.
By the way, what is a CRV (Sport) ?
Cheers, Bill
I can't remember the context now in which I referred to the Honda CRV Sport edition but it does not apply to the CRV-3 model. It is purely the equipment level for the mid-range CRV-2 model which I owned previously, ie. not basic or ex - model.

My present vehicle is a CRV-3 (ES) automatic - again mid-range.

Michelin Tyres - Bill Payer
These posts are disappointing - I'd quite fancied a CRV and HJ's road test talks about the vehicle being quite soft and having excellent ride comfort.
Michelin Tyres - Bill Black
Well Bill, I must agree with you (and HJ's road test), as I tried to say in my posting, it's almost as if the other posters are discussing a different vehicle entirely. Maybe the Scandinavian versions get different specs. in key areas. I notice that the UK dealers in a lot of these postings, not just Honda's, seem to be fairly hopeless and helpless with their analyses and advice too. As I said, the comfort, ride and handling I experience in my mk.3 is well up to the level of its competitors and sometimes better. My advice would be to trawl similar forums (fora) for feedback on the alternatives; RAVs and Foresters etc. plus, of course a decent trial run, perhaps over the weekend. There's just got to be something seriously wrong with Deskpilot's CRV if he his seriously thinking of p/exing it already.
Cheers, Bill B.
Michelin Tyres - jump jockey
Don't be discouraged. I've recently taken delivery of a CR-V (Diesel) ES as a replacement for a Nissan X-Trail. There is no comparison, the CR-V is a far superior on-road vehicle. Interestingly mine came with Continental 4x4 Contact tyres and the road performance is impeccable. Does this mean that Honda are broadening the tyre fit options? The ES is well equipped and so far the economy is impressive and reassuring. I recommend that you take another look.
Michelin Tyres - Brentus
Yep i agree JJ. I too have just taken delivery of Diesal ES. Mine came with the conti tyres. Mind you i don't know what you mean contact. mine are on 17'' 65 profile just like HJ said give the best ride. No doubt about it.
Michelin Tyres - Pugugly
Mine are on the Contis (17 inch) good ride quality, compliant but taught enough to avoid roll on bends :-)
Michelin Tyres - Gallego
My 09 CR-V has Continentals but when they are due for replacement I'll opt for Vredesteins again as they are a far softer tyre proving a more comfortable ride. My previous car a Laguna had Michelins and they are a hard compound whereas when the Vredesteins were fitted it was like driving a new and different car.