Experiences of a Nissan Pathfinder auto 170 please - injection doc
I am considering a nissan Pathfinder Auto 2.5dci, does anyone have experience of the reliability of engine or gearbox or any particular pitfalls with them please as I would like to use one for towing. The New model X-trail would of been ideal but power is reduced for the auto model!
Regards Doc
Experiences of a Nissan Pathfinder auto 170 please - Dave N
The engine is too small, and the box doesn't seem like a good match. It revs and revs before changing up, and the slightest throttle has it kicking down and the rev counter spinning to the red line.

The one I drove was like a little 1.3 litre automatic car where you have to row it along all the time.
thank you dave, that actually ties up with a report in a road test which actually say's takes forever to change gear & as for lack of grunt I am having trouble trying to find something with a lot of tourque. My diesel jag produces 400nm@ 1900rpm
Experiences of a Nissan Pathfinder auto 170 please - MrWednesday
Hi Doc, I don't have any experience of the Pathfinder, however, with reference to your comment about your Jag, the Toyota Landcruiser D4D produces something like 400nm at about the same rev range. Of course it will be heavier than your Jag and less refined than both the Xtrail or Pathfinder, but it is a popular towing barge. (Might hold it's residuals a little better than the Pathfinder) Of course, the Discovery 3 produces a similar amount of power. You don't say if you are looking at new or pre-owned vehicles, so I guess you are looking at far eastern products due to possible concerns about long term reliability?

Experiences of a Nissan Pathfinder auto 170 please - Martin Devon
A friend of mine is a long established mechanic of the old school. He works freelance mainly and is in great demand as he can actually do things as well as plugging a laptop in!! He says............DON'T touch any new nissan now as they have lost the quality plot. Navara. Great engine but carp transmission with a clutch the size of a saucer apparently. I guess Toyota still rule the roost for longevity?

VBR......MD.
Thank you all for your input, that has made interesting reading & landcrusier was one I hadn't thought of. I have to say i think your comments are spot on.