Helping smaller people reach the controls. - jus' cruising
Is there any way of adapting car seats for a small person who cannot reach the pedals at all? If not, are there any cars that are capable of being driven by someone under 5ft?

Subject line tweak - PU
Helping smaller people reach the controls. - BobbyG
My sister in law, at 4 ft 10 or so, drives a Peugeot 206 without any modifications.

Whether the airbag would have a chance to work is another story....
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Helping smaller people reach the controls. - jus' cruising
Thanks for these ideas. My work colleague (she is around4' 10") has been looking at family size cars and couldn't find a single one.
Helping smaller people reach the controls. - Rover25
Maybe its worth having a chat with Motability or a dealer that supplies Motability vehicles? They may have suggestions- I guess there must be other smaller people out there with a similar issue.
(I suggest this as I know a chap with a short left arm, but he is able to drive a manual gearbox Focus with only minor adaptation, its a sort of extension on the gear shift and it was a motability dealership that got him fixed up.)
Helping smaller people reach the controls. - rtj70
Some car models have adjustable pedals as an option, e.g. current model Ford Focus Ghia and Titanium. Why the lower Focus models (or more in general) do not I have no idea as its only £100.
Helping smaller people reach the controls. - Lud
Almost any car can be driven by one or at most two people of any size.

I recall a case, in America of course, in which two smallish but enterprising nippers stole a car with one steering and the other operating the pedals. Even more of a doddle with auto naturally...
Helping smaller people reach the controls. - AlastairW
A very short young lady at work drives a Yaris. She has a built up seat so that she can see out and pedal extentions so she can reach them as required. Can't ask where she got them though as she on maternity leave at present.
Helping smaller people reach the controls. - GregSwain
Had a university lecturer who was 4'11 and drove a Skoda Fabia without any problems.
Remember overall height is not the only factor... it's also lower limb length. You might think I'm a little strange for saying but bear with me.

I'm not that tall (5 foot eight/nine) and step-sons now taller. One difference is they have LONG necks and I have a short neck. One of them has legs as short if not shorter than me and they are taller. Only noticed tall people tend to have long necks since knowing these two ;-)

So you also need to take into account the actual person in the car. Bearing in mind reach adjust on steering wheels and either adaptable pedals or whatever but you want to sit away from that airbag.

Sure there must be cars that fist most people if seat/steering adjusted right. And if not "adapters" for pedals. Remember that Indiana film ;-) Temple of Doom wasn't it? Not dragging this thread down but there is either a standard family car (Focus or bigger?) or one that can be slightly adapted.

If a new car and a Focus big enough and in range then the adjustable pedals are an option. They are on Jags too and probably others.
What slightly bothers me reading original post is someone "under 5ft cannot reach pedals at all"...

If that's the case really, i.e. not even close then maybe they do unfortunately have short lower limbs and might need hand controls. Or am I reading something into this that's not there. Worst case would be hand controls. But did they past their practical test in something?
Helping smaller people reach the controls. - Robin Reliant
This link might be helpful -

www.ricability.org.uk/reports/report-mobility/carc...m
--
Helping smaller people reach the controls. - jc2
I remember seeing someone(6ft.+) who was driving his car and was peering thro' the steering wheel to drive-had very long legs and short body.
Helping smaller people reach the controls. - normd2
the other end of the scale is just as bad - #1 son is 6'7" with 35" inside leg; trying to find a car he can drive isn't easy. He can drive the rover 214 but the steering wheel adjust is on its highest setting for his knees, seat right back and the sun roof blind has to be retracted for his head. Funnily enough the Previa (also from the Land of the Rising Sun) fits him nicely with room to spare.
Helping smaller people reach the controls. - local yokel
My father told a story of a guy about 6'5" who drove an Austin 7, from the back seat.
Helping smaller people reach the controls. - Lud
My cousin's grandfather, a very short retired army major, drove Rover P4s in dark olive green. He looked through the space between the top of the wheel and the bottom of the windscreen, and drove dashingly, with generous swings of the wheel. He was a very nice old boy but even at the kamikaze age of 17 or 18 I used to get quite tense after a few miles. He obviously led a charmed life.
Helping smaller people reach the controls. - chairmanmatt
A colleague at work is 4ft 9 and has traded in her Vauxhall corsa for a new Mitsubishi Colt. She says it's perfect for her driving, no more cushions etc. I'm 6ft 7 and drive a Mazda MX5 (series 2). It's not too bad for long journeys, can be frustrating in town though, no-where to rest your right foot in static traffic.
Helping smaller people reach the controls. - FotheringtonThomas
Extension blocks for the pedals.
A proper upholstered seat cushion (with a resiliant base) - not just an ordinary cushion (if seat height adjustment not otherwise possible).
Helping smaller people reach the controls. - integrale
Get a Marcos? :-) They have a fixed wheel and seat but a movable pedal box.
Helping smaller people reach the controls. - expat
Japanese cars are made in a land of many short people. I would try some of them.