2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - barney100
Apparently 2 million drivers are uninsured. It is cheaper to pay the fine after being caught than the insurance premium for many. That's 1 in 15 cars you see every day without cover! what would you do to redress this?

Subject line tweaked to reflect discussion point - PU
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - mike hannon
It's been said many times before. In France vehicles carry a windscreen sticker to show they are insured. So uninsured motors are visible immediately and can be targeted.
This also applies to the controle technique (MOT equivalent).
Can't understand why something so simple has never been taken up in UK.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Kuang
Who'd be there to catch them?

Stickers are easily forged to pass a glancing inspection, and as insurance fraud doesn't directly cost the government money it's unlikely to be addressed anytime soon.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - jc2
It does cost them money;they take a hefty tax on each policy issued!!!
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Waino
Whilst, on the face of it, this figure is appalling, I always reserve a little cynicism unless I know how the statistics are derived. For example, we are constantly hearing about the massive number of 'untaxed vehicles' on the road - though I suspect that this figure contains a huge number of honest folks who have forgotten to tax/sorn their motorbike while it languishes in the garage over winter.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Westpig
this has been done to death before hasn't it

the current legislation works very well i.e. seizure of veh........but........there aren't enough traffic cops either available to do that..or tasked to do that

write to M.P. etc asking that this becomes a priority......if enough people did ...it would. The politicians wouldn't want to risk the vote backlash

until then it will never be enough of a priority, albeit some areas are doing well
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Aprilia
Maybe some of the Chief Constables could redeploy their guys onto traffic, rather than spending time making complaints to OFCOM about TV programmes?
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Bill Payer
I'll wager many (if not most) of the foreign registered cars that in reality live in the UK are uninsured, but who would know?
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - mike hannon
>I'll wager many (if not most) of the foreign registered cars that in reality live in the UK are uninsured, but who would know?<

Same goes for a large proportion of the UK-registered vehicles that live full-time in France. Gendarmes aren't interested in the fact that they don't have tax discs because there is no French equivalent any more and (presumably) assume they have UK insurance cover - which in many cases they don't.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Pugugly {P}
Aprilia,

I see the point you're making, but I think that particular enquiry was well within the public interest on a number of points. The reason for failure to Police the roads goes far deeper than that one issue. Recommend a read for you "Wasting Police Time" its a collection of blogs from an operational "Response" Officer - this will give you a good view of the current state of play in the English and Welsh Police Service. Its a depressing read....

//coppersblog.blogspot.com/

Above link will give you a taster.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Easier to deploy resources to send NIPS to 'major criminals' than spend time bothering with things that 'don't matter' like untaxed, uninsured, no MOT, foreign and not registered, no driving licence etc. One has to chase the largest amount of cash for the least employment of resources and Speed Cameras R it!
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - GregSwain
What can be done?

Immediate 12 points resulting in driving ban, as well as immediate seizing and crushing of car, whether it's a 15y/o Micra or a brand new Porsche.

Surely if going 5mph over a 30mph limit gives you 3 points and £60 fine, my suggestion would be in proportion with regard to the possible danger/cost to other drivers/pedestrians should an incident occur. Insurance isn't too expensive if you drive a sensible car and shop around so there's no excuse for not having it - I'm only 22y/o and pay £380 fully comp for my Almera.
Well,

What they do around here, is seize and impound the cars and all Officers (not only their ANPR teams) carry £200.00 fixed penalty/6 point tickets...
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - v0n
Third party insurance added by govt as fuel surcharge. It's very easy idea - the moment you top up it will make any vehicle, foreign or not, banger or new, roadworthy or not - insured against driving into another vehicle or person- regardless of whether it's driven by owner, thief, joyriding kids etc etc. You wouldn't be able to escape such insurance and it would be very fair - the more you drive and therefore the more statistical risk you pose to others the more fuel you use and the more you pay towards your cover.
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - carl_a
Third party insurance added by govt as fuel surcharge. It's very easy idea

Governemnt providing insurance how crazy, why don't we get them to provide the cars too.

The solution to the problem is remove the tax disc, add an additional tax to insurance premiums and to have RFID tags on an insurace disc and the car itself. Only allow those with insurance to fill up with fuel. As this will take time to implement have sting operations in every country at different locations every day, those without insurance have their car crushed and given several thousand hours community service.

A lot can be done about this problem, it's just there is no will by police or government to do anything.
Governemnt providing insurance how crazy why don't we get them to provide the cars too.

It's not crazy at all. Works very well in quite a few countries too. It usually also involves manufacturers officially pricing up parts and certain repairs or tasks for the nationalized insurer to avoid garages extorting money out of insurers using made up time frames and doubling amount of work on paper, one of the main reasons for crazy insurance prices in UK (vide typical "It will be £400 cash to fix it Guv or £1400 if insurance is involved" situation). Otherwise it has only advantages - it's the car that's insured, regardless of driver, any of your buddies can drive you home after few pints, anyone in household can use any of the cars etc etc. Even if it creates a paradox, like the one already quoted in this thread - "teenage boys driving 5 litre V6 cars" - it's all down to the choice - chavy kids from suburbia will not stop driving their beemers and tarted up coupes at night either way - would you rather they were insured or uninsured?
--------------------
Not just crazy but nuts too.

Firstly all this stuff about few pints and anyone can drive your car is already valid for most people with fully comp insurance. Why would someone like myself want to pay vast quantities for fuel in order for others to have insurance cheap, my insurance costs around £150 fully comp including loan car if required, it's low because I'm a low risk.

People that are high risks are for a reason, the current insurance market is very competative. If someone can't afford to insure a car they needs one in a low insurance group or wait until they have more money.

Unique fit radio's solved one problem, now sat navs get stolen. Cars were made difficult to steal so now the keys are stolen from homes, those are very difficult crimes to protect against but insurance is a very easy one to solve.

I know how to solve the sat nav theft problem, let the government provide them when you buy a tax disc !
Not just crazy but nuts too.

Oh, don't hold back carla, bring it on. :)
Firstly all this stuff about few pints and anyone can drive your car is already
valid for most people with fully comp insurance. Why would someone like myself want to
pay vast quantities for fuel in order for others to have insurance cheap my insurance
costs around £150 fully comp including loan car if required it's low because I'm a
low risk.

You don't pay £150 quid because you are low risk, but because you are presumed low risk based on available data. The current system is flawed. 75 year old, senile lady from Little Neverland, Forgottenshire, with foreign driving license exam passed last summer somewhere in the middle of Africa can drive while sitting on a pillow in a £50 worth of Bluebird, with butter for brakes and not even as much as power steering for modern feature - all that for £100, DOC and unlimited mileage included. In the same time 30 year old guy with full NCB in Kent will have to fork out at least 5 times as much to insure much safer car simply because badly interpreted statistics. The numbers might suggest the sum of claims among elderly in Little Neverland area is next to none, but the fact she lives in a tiny village of very little crime as the only car owner in radius of 50 miles doesn't make her neither good nor safe driver. Current insurance system has very little to do with factual risks to the third party and a lot to do with post codes, driver age (rather than experience), car age and price. And presumption that insurance discount is something one should obtain rather than earn.
People that are high risks are for a reason the current insurance market is very
competative. If someone can't afford to insure a car they needs one in a low
insurance group or wait until they have more money.

But they don't and won't wait. We live in a country where it's cheaper to buy 3 litre Omega than 1 litre Saxo and where it's cheaper for people to insure death trap like Cinquecento or old Panda than a cruising fortress with five NCAP stars. The chances of being stopped by Police are lower than winning National Lottery (I live in South East and was stopped once in the last 13 years). These are the odds people will take. More of them every year.

At the end of the day it all depends on outlook - on one hand a chance to completely avoid all the issues with uninsured foreign drivers, "car borrowers", joyriders and thieves, youngsters in fast bangers etc etc. On the other hand Mrs.Lucky, driving up until now 50,000 miles for £100 a year because of statistical puzzle involving postcode and age has to actually pay for the amount of time she spends on the road...
--------------------
>>The current system is flawed. 75 year old, senile lady from Little Neverland, Forgottenshire,
>>with foreign driving license exam passed last >>summer somewhere in the middle of Africa
>>can drive while sitting on a pillow in a £50 worth of Bluebird, with butter for brakes and not
>>even as much as power steering for modern feature - all that for £100,

She's elderly, only had a driving licence for a year and has no no-claims bonus. The insurance will be HUGE, not small. I think the insurance industry isn't as stupid as you think v0n.

"Senile", I hope that people won't talk about you in that way when you're 75, respect the old!

The current insurance system works quite well, and its a lot more complex than specific cars, postcodes and age, the price you pay to insurance companies not only depends on yourself but the risks of others that they have recently taken on. The reason mine is so low is because I get the broker commision refunded, I've never crashed and didn't claim for two bits of vandalism when I could have.

2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Clk Sec
I'm sure there are plenty out there who would still consider a £200 fixed penalty / 6 points a risk worth taking.

Clk Sec
Yeah but better than the old system of waiting up to six months to go to Court, with a good brief you could drag it but longer...losing the car is a bit of a pain for them.
>>>Yeah but better than the old system of waiting up to six months to go to Court

Quite right.

I assume that losing their car, though, is a temporary measure?

Clk Sec
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - milkyjoe
how do 2 million cars get through the net ? i assumed that if u want to tax your car you have to produce a valid mot and a certificate of insurance? so without documentation you would automatically get caught , hence no tax disc and your pulled automatically with the cameras?
>>>hence no tax disc and your pulled automatically with the cameras?

I imagine it would be easy enough to tax your car for a year just prior to the expiry of your insurance - or tax your car and cancel the insurance.

Clk Sec
Insurance flags up on PNC. I reckon that a good proportion of the 2m are drivers who are insured for their own cars but drive others either knowingly or not. They are impossible to capture automatically.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Hamsafar
Make it voluntary.
If you want insurance for your own losses then buy it.
I would have saved thousands this way, despite having a few crashes.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - martint123
>> Make it voluntary.

What happens if you mow down a bus queue?

>> If you want insurance for your own losses then buy it.

You mean like third party only insurance?

2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Hamsafar
If the people in the bus queue want special insurance such as life assurance or personal injury insurance, they should buy it.

People should insure their own interests. Maybe insurance should be based on the value of insured interests and the risks to them, rather than what you could possibly do to others.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - deepwith
I think v0n has it - third party insurance for all cars provided from cost of fuel and then you take out your own insurance for Fully Comp cover - which would be cheaper as 3rd party was already covered.
For many young lads they can buy a car for £200, the insurance will be in excess of a £1000 but the fine is only £200 for not having insurance IF actually caught..... do the maths.
Then there is the older chap who has been driving for 40 years without a licence - presumably any insurance, if he has it, will be invalid?
I think v0n has it - third party insurance for all cars provided from cost of fuel

While I can see the attraction of that, the current situation of *some* young lads driving cars without a care in the world about accident consequences would surely change into *all* young lads being in that position?
That's completely unworkable - different drivers present a different risk, so unless you want a situation where women get cheaper petrol, and young drivers have to take out a loan to fill their Saxo VTR up, the system would be completely unfair - all drivers would be equally penalised, even those with 10+ years NCD. Keep the current system, and spend some more resources enforcing it.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Old Navy
I learned to drive in Australia 40 odd years ago. All their cars have government third party insurance payed through road tax and displayed on an extremly sticky and distinctive couloured tax rectangle. Top up to Comp is your choice. Also on passing the driving test you must display "P" plates for one year and are restricted to 40 mph. Any traffic infringment = automatic 6 month ban and retest. But then they have the enforcment to back it up.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Old Navy
Edit - Any traffic infringment during first year = 6 month ban + retest.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - scrapmetal
If you put insurance on petrol price, whats to stop 18 year old lad going out and buying a powerful car that he cant handle?

Insurance prices also reflect the type of vehicle we are all trying to insure dont forget.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - cheddar
Insurance linked to number plate central database via ANPR / chip-in-plate.

Much better use of resources than 90% of cameras that are just 1/500th sec snapshots in time that dont catch the drunk uninsured, no mot, bald tyred, faulty brakes drivers that just happened to slow to 40 before the camera because he answered his phone (no, not hands free) though was doing 90 half a mile beforehand.
I learned to drive in Australia 40 odd years ago. All their cars have government
third party insurance payed through road tax

Yes but it really is the bare minimum level of cover, and everyone I know over there has extra insurance.
Also on passing the driving
test you must display "P" plates for one year and are restricted to 40 mph.

However, driving over there now you're often passed at silly speeds by P-platers driving their 5.0 litre V8-powered Holden Commodore for which they have no insurance other than the government minimum. The vast majority only take an automatic test too, because after a year or 2 (depending on state) they're allowed to drive manual having never sat a test in one. Far from a perfect system.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - movilogo
The hard truth is that nothing can be done! Otherwise, their number wouldn't have reached 2 million!

Funny though, my insurer (Admiral) will my flag my claim as "own fault claim" if I'm hit by some insured driver! Since they can't claim their expense back from 3rd party.

I feel insurace cos are bigger culprits.

2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - cheddar
The hard truth is that nothing can be done! Otherwise their number wouldn't have reached
2 million!

That the spirit, verges on appeasment, what if in 1940 instead of "we'll fight them on the beaches ..." Churchill says "the hard truth is that nothing can be done otherwise their wouldnt be 500,000 nazis in France and the low countries"

!
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - milkyjoe
cheddar, natzi is not a verboten word in this country so no need for the ****,s not with this shower any way who are running the country!!!

It was included in the swear filter on this site many moons ago for reasons I don't necessarily agree with......but its there so its still a word filtered out here. If you have an issue with it take it up with the Mods by e-mail. It wasn't Cheddar's choice that it appeared as it did. - PU
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - scrapmetal
I think anyone who uses the public highway should have at least 3rd party insurance.
Cyclists included.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - RaineMan
I am always surprised haw low the fines are for this offence! A few years ago I was fined for not taxing/declaring SORN on a tax except car whist sourcing spares to obtain the MOT so I could tax it. A magistrates' court report in the local paper showed the fines for not having insurance were on a par! Sometimes the law is a pink fluffy dice!
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Dwight Van Driver
Before you all jump out of your seats I am now in muse mode.....

Why is there such an uproar and concentration on effort into uninsured drivers?

Is road safety effected?. Very little if it is so for like a vehicle driven with defects the driver will be taking that more care not to get involved in anything. So is it big 'business' fueling the outcry so that that their coffers are full? I do appreciate that there is a need for Insurance to compensate those involved in accidents but comprehensively insuring oneself goes far in this respect.

If the same concentration of effort into driving standards would bring greater rewards?

Muse mode off.......awaits

dvd

2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Collos25
If the government ws really bothered there are upteen better ways to enforce the law but they get all the fine money and only a percentage of the insurance cost and keeps a lot of people busy who would otherwise be unemployed.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - DP
Link the registration number capture system installed at every petrol station to the DVLA insurance database, and only dispense petrol once the insurance status has been confirmed. Could also check MOT status and road tax while it's at it.

No privacy issue here - the petrol stations have captured my reg number every time I've refuelled my car for as long as I can remember, and most of the technology is already there.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Collos25
Civil liberty brigade will be after you.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - teabelly
Lots of uninsured drivers are also banned or unlicensed. These people are a menace and are usually much more likely to be involved in criminal behaviour and there likelihood of being involved in an accident is also much greater. They aren't bothered whether there in an accident because the car won't be registered to them anyway, they'll drive off.

Only allowing those with insurance to fill up with fuel would lead to fuel theft. It would also increase plate theft and cloning as criminals would not bother going legit when they can still easily get round the system. Tagged cars would have the tax disc stolen instead so again it wouldn't help. It would also stop legitimate owners from filling up as the insurance database is inaccurate. You can already run a diesel car on veg oil so it is not going to stop many criminals.

Phasing out cash payments at fuel stations might be another way of helping as you could then link number plates with bank accounts and cross check who was filling up. Hire cars and courtesy cars are areas where restricting filling up to the insured only would be silly. Most policies have driving other cars listed so it is just restricting legitimate use because this useless govt have lost the battle against criminals' use of the roads.
teabelly
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Cliff Pope
If it is really true that 1 in 15 cars is uninsured it wouldn't take much to start catching them in simple random police stops. Then instantly impound the car, turn the passengers and the contents out onto the street, haul the driver off for a night in the cells, and take the car away to be crushed.
If it is really true that 1 in 15 cars is uninsured it wouldn't take
much to start catching them in simple random police stops.

That occured to me too - the Police would be sweeped swathes off them off the streets, surely?
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - moonshine

The insurance industry is always making noises about the number of un-insured drivers and promoting scare stories about un-insuired drivers probably being banned, dangerous, driving dangerous cars, killing cats, causing global warming, funding terrorism etc. Some of it is probably true in certain cases.

There are two questions here:

1 - How reliable is that 2 million figure? How was it calculated? What is the source?

2 - As mentioned by DVD, would it make an improvement to the safety on the roads if all were insured? What is the real risk?

I believe that the figure is way too high. I also believe it was calculated as follows:

25 million cars registered with DVLA. Only 23 million insurance policies issued, therefore 2 million un-insured cars...

If it really is 1 in 15 then surely ANPR should mean the crushers are running day and night?

Of course I'm making assumptions.....
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - hxj

It is drivers not cars, and many of these drivers are 'insured', but not for the journey that they are undertaking.

A colleague drove his nice BMW 3 series to a client and wrote it off on the way back. Insurance refused to pay out as whilst he was insured for Social Domestic and Pleasure the journey was 'on business' and he was not insured for that. A fair number of people reviewed their policies after that! Although several claim that they will lie instead.

My local Tesco's in Leicestershire claims that it has ANPR cameras linked to the police. Not sure that use is actually made of it.

Leicestershore Constabulary also seem to have regular purges on the roads, an ANPR van plus a couple of police motor bikes and a couple of cars, plus what looks like VOSA or HMRC in attendance.

Locals complain like mad about the 'heavy handed tactics', how do the police win?
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Marko
In the Manchester area VOSA and the Police are regularly setting up traps using number plate recognition equipment. Pulling the uninsured cars and crushing them.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - madf
"- The cost of uninsured driving.

Compensation to victims of uninsured and untraced drivers is paid by the Motor Insurers? Bureau. The Bureau is funded by a levy on all motor insurers (and ultimately out of premiums paid by the motoring public). The MIB levy for 2003 amounted to £290 million. However, it is estimated that the total cost of uninsured driving is around double this figure. This is because insurers fund some of these claims themselves, including injury or damage caused by drivers of stolen vehicles. The cost of uninsured driving to honest motorists is estimated to be up to an extra £30 on their motor insurance each year. "

We pay the levy as customers..

www.abi.org.uk/Display/File/Child/520/Insurercrime...c
madf
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - George Porge
Make the punishment fit the crime, extract at source (from income earned or benefits) the miniumum 3rd party insurance from anyone caught driving without insurance for the next 10 years whether they are a car owner or not.

A bit like the CSA do for non payment, treat them like the immature individuals they are.
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - boxsterboy
snipquote!
That occured to me too - the Police would be sweeped swathes off them off
the streets surely?

And no need for road pricing!!!
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - DP
It's this kind of thing that only an increase in traffic police numbers can even put a dent in.

ANPR and camera enforcement is easily defeated with false or cloned plates. The last traffic cop (not counting the rent-a-cop "traffic officers") I saw was speed trapping on the M40 during the first weekend in July, and I've driven nearly 4,000 miles since then. You stand virtually no chance of getting pulled over by police on the roads, and these crims are filling their boots!

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
APNR is also defeated by the shortcomings of the insurance database itself. I suspect those two million "uninsured" vehicles consist in large part of cars driven under Drive Any Car policies, fleet and trade covers, red plates, cars kept on driveways under Drive Other Cars clauses or maintained and road taxed for absent sons and daughters in universities and boarding schools.
--------------------
2 million uninsured drivers ! - What can be done? - Welliesorter
A couple of thoughts: I agree that the fines for this offence are pathetic when the cost savings are taken into account. However, the punishment needs to be considered carefully. Is someone who's already in the habit of driving illegally going to care too much about a ban that just gives an extra reason for it to be illegal?

Insurance premiums on fuel? Is it fair that owners of petrol lawn mowers, and makers of Molotv cocktails, should pay it?