Sirtion 1.0l waiting list - daveyK_UK
over a 3 month wait if you want a 1.0 Sirion.

dealer said its because they are exempt from congestion zone, have air con as standard and v.good on the petrol.

wanted to buy mine back off me!

Sirtion 1.0l waiting list - bazza
Apparently these cars are selling like hot cakes. I went to look over one on Saturday and was most impressed with the finish and standard of build. It seems to be a well kept secret that these are basically Toyotas under a different badge, in fact the Sirion is sold as the Toyota Passo overseas. Interestingly, the Perodua Myvi is also the same car and apparently there is talk of the Sirion being re-badged and sold as a small Subaru in Europe.
Sirtion 1.0l waiting list - Altea Ego
Why are they now advertising £500 off the list price then?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Sirtion 1.0l waiting list - carl_a
Why are they now advertising £500 off the list price then?

They have done that for a while now, just reducing the cost to what it was originally before they increased it by £500 last year! They are learning from Citroen but not quite as bad.
Sirtion 1.0l waiting list - Xileno {P}
I would rather pay the congestion charge.
Sirtion 1.0l waiting list - jase1
Yes, because of course it's Japanese and therefore bland.
Sirtion 1.0l waiting list - Pugugly {P}
...and me.
Sirtion 1.0l waiting list - ukbeefy
I'd imagine its second car purchasing or getting something for the nanny etc to drive about. Certainly near me in inner south london alot of well to do households have a gwizz car for running about as well as a decent normal car eg BMW estate/4x4 for normal journeys. Think some of it is people thinking that by getting one they are "doing their bit" in a slightly illogical way.
Sirtion 1.0l waiting list - bazza
Some negative comments here.... I must be missing something. Seemed like a perfectly normal small car to me, nice build, good economy, decent manufacturer. A rival to Panda, Yaris, Aygo etc etc. Cheap to run and minimum hassle, whilst a bit of fun to run around in? Or am I wrong? Are there better buys in this class?
Sirtion 1.0l waiting list - retgwte
fab car, dont knock it till uve tried

Sirtion 1.0l waiting list - sony
The backside of that car couldn't be more bland and hideous if they tried.
Sirtion 1.0l waiting list - carl_a
bazza I think you spot on with your comments. What a great car the Sirion is, good MPG, roomy and well built, if the seat went back a little more I'd have bought one.Its a little bigger than the Panda with better MPG and CO2, cheaper than a Yaris and just as good, not much to go wrong really. The insurance groups for Daihatsu's are a little higher than some competitors and thats about the only downside.

Well done daveyK, at least there are some out there that don't drive around in boring mainstream brand-sheep cars!
Sirtion 1.0l waiting list - boxsterboy
over a 3 month wait if you want a 1.0 Sirion.
dealer said its because they are exempt from congestion zone have air con as standard
and v.good on the petrol.

They are not exempt until February 2008, as will countless other cars producing 120g CO2 or less, including my C4 HDI. I think I'll stick to my C4, thanks!!
Sirion 1.0l waiting list - Saltrampen
Maybe all the positive comments about the Sirion have increased sales.
Also I expect many potential Yaris owners have migrated to the Sirion since the yaris is now relatively expensive. Be interesting to know how second hand values have been affected. Must admit after reading these comments and other owner reviews, I'd look at it as a second car/runabout for the wife.
Sirion 1.0l waiting list - Flying Red
I tried a Sirion 1.3 last spring. It's a perfectly good car for short journeys. Quite nimble and sprightly. Since the reduction in VED for < 120g/km I can see why the 1.0 is so popular. I would have a C1/107 though - just a bit funkier looking, a 3 door option and the current special editions with AC undercut the Sirion by a few hundred quid.
Sirion 1.0l waiting list - Nickdm
Just simple demand and supply at work surely? A niche manufacturer importing limited numbers of a car which they don't expect to shift in huge numbers, then being pleasantly surprised?

The UK Daihatsu dealers would probably rather focus their efforts on selling bigger cars. To import more Sirions wouldn't they have to bring in fewer of their bigger cars, to make room on the boat?!
Sirion 1.0l waiting list - Collos25
They are not a patch on a Pug 1007 1.4 hdi not because I am running one at the moment but because my Auntie says so she has a new Sirion 1.0 and has used the pug and thinks its a much nicer practical vehicle and more economical as well.
Sirion 1.0l waiting list - Armitage Shanks {p}
Re 1007 HJ says

A car designed around a pair of electric sliding doors. List prices too high for the car's size. An almost total flop in the UK, being offered at £4,000 discounts by autumn 2006 and still not selling.

Maybe OK if bought at a huge discount - I have only seen them as main dealer courtesy cars
Sirion 1.0l waiting list - jase1
Hmmm... PSA build quality plus PSA electrics plus too much weight plus overcomplex design plus overpriced.

Sounds like a good recipe...
Sirion 1.0l waiting list - boxsterboy
In my experience PSA build quality is no worse than most other mass-market cars. VW, Ford, Renault, Vauxhall, etc.
Sirion 1.0l waiting list - GregSwain
...VW Ford Renault Vauxhall etc.

Especially Renault.

Who in their right mind would buy the hideous, over-engineered 1007 when the much nicer 107 is cheaper, more attractive, and comes with a Toyota 1.0 chain-cam engine. Combining the Toyota running gear with the less complicated design, it is almost guaranteed to be more reliable than the 1007. Even better, buy a Citroen C1 - same car, less money.

As for the Sirion - not impressed. Had one as a loan-car and it wasn't my cup of tea. Horrendously easy to stall, horrible driving position and hard, unsupportive seats. Performance wasn't bad for a 1.0 litre, but the engine was very noisy for a new car (lack of insulation rather than inherently noisy engine).
Sirion 1.0l waiting list - Aprilia
Wouldn't touch a 1007.

Don't know about the latest Sirion because I've never driven one.

Last year I drove a Perodua Kelisa (based on an old Diahatsu design) and expected it to be bad, but it was actually good fun. Its a bit slow, but the handling is good and you can throw it about without fear. In some ways it reminded me of the old Mini.
Sirion 1.0l waiting list - jase1
In my experience PSA build quality is no worse than most other mass-market cars

Hmmm, not my experience.

Dashboards that not only feel cheap (a-la Hyundai, where hard, shiny but essentially solid materials are used in the main) but actually ARE cheap (flimsy plastics, flexing everywhere -- especially some Citroens), cheap plasticky front-ends that feel as if they're going to snap in your hands, plastic filler cap cover, etc etc.

Granted, I'm referring to the older designs (Saxo/106, Xsara etc) since I haven't really had a good look at the newer ones, but what I've seen of the C3 isn't encouraging quite honestly.

I have to say though I've been less than impressed with a few new cars I've seen recently. Things like the last Primera, latest Astra and latest Seat Leon have all had hard, scratchy plastics of the kind that the Koreans would be criticised for.

That's just the dash though, and the general build remains high -- but some PSA cars are woeful in this regard.

This is one area where Renault actually do quite well -- giving a (fake?) air of quality about the vehicle.
SNIP

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33415

This is one area where Renault actually do quite well -- giving a (fake?) air
of quality about the vehicle.

Ex girlfriend's Clio (03 model) certainly wasn't made of decent materials, or put together very well. Plastics scratched easily, interior door trim had gaping holes where the frame-trim didn't meet the lower panel. Plastic was so brittle that a bodyshop smashed part of a door trim whilst putting it back onto the door. Whole interior had a cheap feel to it, including the seat material which developed brown water marks after contact with the slightest hint of moisture. The badge-snobs would've been out in force had it been a Hyundai/Kia.

I'd say (from experience), the French manufacturers are on a par with the Koreans for material quality, whereas the Koreans are light-years ahead for build quality. That said, I'd certainly buy a 107/C1, not least because of the Japanese influence, and the factory's location far away from France!

Andy Bairsto, I appreciate that the 1007 is practical, but any car with electric "patio doors" doesn't appeal. I like a handle that clunks when pulled and releases the door mechanically (how practical is the 1007 to open when the battery goes flat, or the door-motor dies?!).
Sirion 1.0l waiting list - qxman {p}
When looking for a car for my wife we considered a variety of different models. The Pugeots were very poor. We had a long test drive in a 1007 and didn't like it at all. Very sluggish and it felt very very cheap, as did the 107. Small Japanese cars seem to be far better built and finished and she settled on a Suzuki Swift, which is delightful to drive and feels solid.
If you want to talk about flimsy lightweight French cars, the Citroen BX must be mentioned. It felt lightweight, it was lightweight, but my GTi was fine over 100,000, and that light weight saved fuel, improved performance, etc. Only 1 'breakdown' - a broken clutch cable after 90,000 miles of mostly town use.

These days of course customers have been conditioned into expecting a more solid feel from their new cars, together with improved crash safety, extra toys, etc. This all adds weight, reduces performance, and heads in the opposite direction of where car design should be going if we want improved environmental performance.
We used to service some BX's in the 1980's and by golly they were flimsy. The suspension components were quite strong, but the upper body was made out of tinfoil and the trim was like balsa wood. Difficult to work on if you needed to remove any trim because it invariably snapped!
Sirion 1.0l waiting list - movilogo
I wasn't aware that Sirion is exempted from Congestion Charge!

I must say then it is definitely a good buy. It's among the cars that is still built in Japan. Very reliable and not bad at all.

One question, the CO2 emission level, does it remain constant as the car grows older? What if it crosses the limit after few years?
Anything in band A and B will be exempt after October I believe band B being a maximum of 120 gco2 plenty of cars just miss it by 1 or 2 g like the small Colts and if it crosses the limit in the future tough its what is in the log book that counts,any increase should be noticed when it comes to test time.
Sirion 1.0l waiting list - Bill Payer
any increase should be noticed when it comes to test time.

I'm pretty sure that the originally rated CO2 (as shown on the V5) is what counts, not matter what the actual measurement is at any point in the future.
>> any increase should be noticed when it comes to test time.
>>
I'm pretty sure that the originally rated CO2 (as shown on the V5) is what
counts not matter what the actual measurement is at any point in the future.

Lambda test is part of the MoT. If the Lambda is within limits then the CO2 should be right (or close enough not to make much difference).
Sirion 1.0l waiting list - daveyK_UK
We are running as a pool car a 55 plate sirion 1.0 and a recently purchased 56 plate sirion 1.0 s

55 plate is now on 77k
56 plate only on 10k - only used if the 55 plate is out

not a problem with either yet.

both bottom of the range with standard non metallic red colour - but have cd, remote locking, 4 electric windows, air con, air bags, 5 doors, lots of cubby holes.
plenty of head room, high up great visability.
strong build quality.

All the staff love them - the receptionist has since purchased her own one.

77k - at an average of 85 miles an hour - used extensivly around manchester and up and down the m6. Used week days between 5am - 8pm.
Still on original clutch and brake pads.
Cracking car.
Would recommend (i use to work for Hyundai and rate them highly - these are just as reliable but alot more to them).

"at an average of 85 miles an hour"

You are jesting

You are jesting

I tend to agree with that! The Sirion I drove was scary once it hit 70, sounded a bit like a washing machine on spin cycle. Certainly wouldn't fancy doing big motorway miles in one! Fine around town though, despite having a clutch which makes stalling more likely than pulling away.
I wasn't aware that Sirion is exempted from Congestion Charge!

It's not. Not yet, but should be from Feb 2008.
So after all that have we concluded that there is a waiting list or perhaps there isn't.
Sirion 1.0l waiting list - bazza
No, no waiting list as far as I can see, in my part of the world. Out of curiosity, had a test drive earlier this week. Dealer reckons the 1.0 outselling the 1.3 significantly since the last budget tax change, only £35 a year road tax and 56 mpg average.

The car itself: interior very roomy, as much room as my Focus, trim much cheaper and more basic. Seats comfortable for short trips, nor sure about long journeys.Well put together though and a solid feel. Dashboard very basic but functional. Yaris switchgear I think.
Driving: 1.3 (Yaris engine) performance very good, much quicker than my Focus 1.6 petrol, pulls strongly to 80+ mph, at which speed road noise and refinement better than my car. Noisy engine when under load, quiet when cruising. Reminded me of my old Mini 1275GT, although more body roll. I couldn't get it to lose grip on a dry roundabout but a bit of tyre squeal.
The ride is well controlled, set up more for comfort than performance, handles rutted town roads very well indeed.

1.0 : 3 cylinder,Yaris engine again, very characterful, noisy under load (but pleasant) and goes well up to about 70mph, noticeably slower than the 1.3 at higher, motorway speeds. Around town, the difference is insignificant.

Overall, excellent town car and runabout, if one isn't too bothered about luxury trim and gadgets, though even the basic model gets air con and cd player. A cut price Yaris I guess.
Sirion 1.0l waiting list - ukbeefy
Wonder if the waiting list is at dealers within the M25 with buyers anticipating the congestion charge exemption and that other dealers are not passing their stock down south.
I think you may well find the the Diahatsu Sirion will also soon be sold as a new Subaru Justy. International Motors (IM) are the importers for both Subaru and Diahatsu. Now that Toyota (who own Diahatsu) have a chunk of Subaru shares you'll find that the Justy is the Sirion in disguise.
I think you may well find the the Diahatsu Sirion will also soon be sold
as a new Subaru Justy.

Will it be an AWD version, or just the same underpinnings with a different badge Aprilia? Surely if it's the latter, the Scooby badge will help residuals more than a Daihatsu badge.
2WD I gather. Apparently its to help Subaru attract younger customers to the brand - it'll be cheaper to run and definitely more insurance-friendly than their current line-up!
Sirion 1.0l waiting list - retgwte
i guess perodua will start importing a 1.0 myvi if there is such a high demand for the 1.0 versions due to tax etc, its basically the same car