Got myself a car for winter... - Blue {P}
Yep, following in Michael R's footsteps I have put a deposit on a Mondeo Ghia X V6 with the RSAP bodykit. The car's on a W plate with 67,000 miles on the clock and from the pictures looks to be in very good condition.

I wanted a real ST24 to begin with, but when I saw this one with all the Ghia X kit and the best of the ST24 looks and performance I buckled, hmm, heated leather.... I suspect it will be a bit more winter friendly than the MG :-)

Blue
Got myself a car for winter... - Pugugly {P}
Nice car - excellent engine noise - enjoy. A photo would be good. I hate heated leather.
I'll stick some up as soon as I pick it up, assuming it is as described of course! I hate buying 7 year old cars without seeing them first, but the seller had 100% feedback and is adamant that it's a very clean car.

I didn't buy it through Ebay in the normal (marginally safer way) way, I noticed that the auction ended reserve not met and contacted them directly to ask what they wanted for it, got it for £2,200 without tax but with almost 1 year's MOT. I'll MOT it before I take it off the road anyway as I don't want the MOT to expire whilst it's laid up off the road.

Blue
Got myself a car for winter... - Happy Blue!
"I hate heated leather..."

Why?

I love it. It just cossetts you like a warm bath, easing the stiffness out of my back in the morning.

Great cars the Mondeo V6. Very underrated and highly specced.
Great cars the Mondeo V6. Very underrated and highly specced.

Yeah my dad's been taking the mick out of the naff wooden dash, I had to ask him if he could suggest a better V6 hatchback that will take a fully grown German Shepherd for short runs and also has full leather for £2K!

Blue
Got myself a car for winter... - Pugugly {P}
"heated leather seats"

I think its me motorcycling genes (or jeans) doesn't feel natural.
Got myself a car for winter... - boxsterboy
"heated leather seats"
I think its me motorcycling genes (or jeans) doesn't feel natural.

But surely preferable to getting piles from cold leather seats on a frosty morning??
Got myself a car for winter... - MichaelR
Sounds like a great car - best of the Mk2 Mondeos really, the performance and looks of the ST24 and the kit of the Ghia X. Always wanted a V6 Ghia X RSAP myself. Still have the Ghia X 16v RSAP today :)
Got myself a car for winter... - Lud
What happened to the Cougar Blue? Someone else snap it up?
The more I looked at it the more I decided that the Mondeo would be a more sensible bet seeing as I'm buying it purely for manky winter use and I want spares to be readily available on the cheap. From what I can gather the parts are more of an issue on the Cougar, also, the Mondeo has a boot that's big enough to accomodate the family German Shepherd who absolutely loves going out in the car, I'd like to be able to take him places which I can't do at the moment. Oh, and the Mondeo is much more roomy for rear passengers, so all in all, I couldn't say no.

When you see the picture of the outside of this car I think you'll all agree that it has almost as much of a sporty edge as the Cougar.

Michael R - If I'd known you still had your's I'd have made you an offer for it, I really wanted a silver one seeing as it won't get washed too often when it gets really cold! Having said that the steel blue colour of mine is pretty easy on the eye.

Blue
Got myself a car for winter... - cheddar
Mine's got heated leather seats, I hardly ever use it, it gives the sensation you get when you sit on a seat that someone else has just got up from, like it is warmer than it should be, wife likes it on occasions though.

For £2k that sounds like a lot of car if if good order and gen mileage, also chain cam.
Mine's got heated leather seats I hardly ever use it it gives the sensation you
get when you sit on a seat that someone else has just got up from
like it is warmer than it should be wife likes it on occasions though.

Well that's the nicer way that I've heard the sensation described, someone else suggested it's a bit like you've had a "little accident" :-)

Blue
Got myself a car for winter... - dxp55
I had a Mk 11 V6 for a short while (HG problem) and found the cruise control one of the best I have used - was more economical (up to 40mpg) than my foot and being a lover of big barges I have developed a feather light touch on throttle
Have a read here - go to forums and scroll down to Duratech engines -- wish I had see this site first before I bought mine. www.fordmondeo.org/forum/index.php?
Hope you have got a good one.

Dave
Got myself a car for winter... - Slightlyfatdirector
Hi Blue,

I had a Ghia X Estate with the leather. Thought it would be nice for winter. The reality - sadly :( is that you get into the car on a frosty morning and (unless you are wearing a nice fleece) the frezing cold leather forces you to drive in a 'leaning-forward' position because the seat is so cold and the heating function takes a good few minutes to fully warm the seat.

In the summer the opposite is the case and you get in the car and burn your back and legs. Mine was in Panther Black with Black leather and was like an oven. Got the Ghia x with the leather as I had just had a new baby and thought baby sick would be easier to wipe off leather than cloth. In reality my daughter was never car sick.

Still, great car. Loved it. The only downside was that fake wood on the dash - never has fake wood looked more fake than there! Sold it with 138,000 miles (all but 10k done by me) for £1,900 and had a card from the owner 6 months later after I posted them some spare bits and bobs for it I found when moving house saying it was a much loved reliable family wagon.

Enjoy yours. Sounds like a bit of a bargain.
Got myself a car for winter... - Mapmaker
Careful, Michael. At that price he's virtually into Bangernomics. What a shed he's driving. ;)
Got myself a car for winter... - DP
A very nice car for very little money. Enjoy it!

If it weren't for the fact I'd be doing £150 a week in fuel in one of these, I'd have probably bought one myself by now. That Duratec V6 is the definition of "peachy".

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
In the summer the opposite is the case and you get in the car and
burn your back and legs.

Ah, but I have a masterplan, in the summer I take it off the road and put my MG TF back on the road, then I burn my legs on the MG's leather seats instead! Either way, a nice sealed car with no drafts and FWD must be a better winter option! :-)

I'm quite lucky that my house comes with a lot of off road parking so I can keep untaxed and un-insured vehicles during the summer (that'll be the Mondy then), and during the winter I'll be storing the TF in an alarmed garage so it will stay nice and warm and dry.

Incidentally, when i put the TF in the garage, is there any substance that is the equivalent of the Silica Gel satchets that come with furniture? I don't want it to get damp or mouldy, although the garage has no leaks there's bound to be moisture in the air.

Blue
Got myself a car for winter... - Mapmaker
>don't want it to get damp and mouldy

So open the garage windows so you get a through-draught, and open the car windows a bit so that the air doesn't have a chance to get mouldy.
The garage doesn't have any windows unfortunately, although I will be moving the car at least once a fortnight to keep the battery charged, warm the engine through and stop the brakes from seizing too much. Hopefully that will be ebough to stop it then!

Blue
Well I did buy her yesterday, but was so tired by the time I got back from a mate's birthday night out that I couldn't face coming on-line to post about it!

There's only one disappointment which is that the A/C doesn't blow cold, however, a friend of mine thinks he should be able to see this working for about £50 unless it's something more expensive like a busted compressor. Will see what happens when it goes back on the road.

Driving a FWD has certainly been interesting though, I'd forgotten what torque steer was, and I think my face will have been a picture when I got my first taste of under-steer on my way back home!

The rasp from the engine is intoxicating, she's got bags more pull than the MG in the straights, but the TF slaughters her for cornering ability, I was pretty horrified when I made a quick lane change in the Mondeo, it felt like steering an ocean liner in comparison to the TF!

Of course I am aware that comparing the two cars is a bit like comparing chalk and cheese! :-)

Blue