90 2.0GLi 8 valve automatic starting problem - Matt
Hi all,

This morning, I was faced with the sound of the starter motor slowing down to a halt. The battery had finally died. Not a problem I thought, especially as it had happened on the drive. The battery was on its last legs anyway.

I managed to purchase the new battery the same morning. I dried all the spark plugs as the engine had been flooded on trying to start from the old battery. With the battery fitted, I tried to start the engine again.

This time, I noticed that the engine made no attempt to fire at all. It was turning over quickly but too smoothly, and sounded like there was no spark being made.

I checked for a spark from the plugs, and this turned out to be working.
After drying the plugs again, I attempted another start. This time it made the occasional attempt to fire, but was still no better.

I am at a loss as to what this could be as the car was starting perfectly prior to the battery failure. This has happened once before when the battery ran flat, but the car did eventually start after many attempts. Once the car does start, it is cured of this problem. It only happens after its tried to start on a dying battery, which appears to upset something.

Maybe I should just wait a day or two and try again. Seems too trivial to call out the breakdown and lose no claims bonus.

Thanks to anyone who might have the answer,

Matt.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 21/02/2008 at 20:20

Re: Cavalier starting problem - Mike Harvey
Matt, the old Vauxhall engines are a bit prone to this. They turn over as if there is no compression, something to do with the hydraulic lifters. We had loads of them at a Vauxhall dealer I worked for, and the only way to start them was leave them for a couple of hours, and crank as quickly as poss with a very good slave battery. I'm sure another backroomer will give you a cure though.
Mike
Re: Cavalier starting problem - David Davies
Matt
There are hundreds of different types of 'Cavalier'. Please give your example's year and engine type.
Re: Cavalier starting problem - Jud
As mentioned make sure the new battery is fully charged. And it wouldn't hurt to check the battery electrolite levels and top up with deionised water if required
Re: Cavalier starting problem - Matt
Many apologies everyone for not mentioning type of car. (Blame it on tiredness).

The car is a 1990 2.0GLi 8 valve automatic.

Thanks for your helpful comments already. I'll try what you suggest and let you know what happens soon.

There is a second car on the drive that can help with starting.

Regards,

Matt.
Re: Cavalier starting problem - j.cronin
Sometimes a lot of efforts to start can finish off an already dying coil.If your car uses an 8v. coil and a ballast resistor(and from memory I think GM does),continual 12v-the ballast resistor is cut out of the circuit when starting- can finish off the coil.Had a similar problem on a Fiesta-idle fuel solenoid failed-no idle so loads of cranking-eventually had to replace solenoid and coil.