Analogue vs. digital - Clanger
In today's Motoring Telegraph, HJ implies that he likes digital speedos. I don't; I much prefer the analogue pointer in the same way that I like my ancient clockwork watch. I believe that I can more readily see my approximate speed by the position of the pointer on the dial than trying to read stylised digital figures. What do you prefer? I think digital speedos are a gimmick and manufacturers know this. Mrs H's C3 has a digital speedo and analogue tacho. So do many motorcycles. Why an analogue tacho? Because it's easier to read. Case dismissed. Next.

Doubtless in cars of the future my ignition key security card will determine the type of display I get as soon as I enter the car.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Analogue vs. digital - Altea Ego
Analogue for me. I find the digital numbers strange, constantly changing in funny multiples.

(ie 61, 63, 67, 66, 69) I need 60, 65 or 70.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Analogue vs. digital - gmac
A number on a rev. counter wouldn't mean very much.
5000 in a diesel would be banging off the limiter whereas a Honda S2000 would just be warming up. A rev counter is analogue so you can see where you are in relation to the operating range of the engine in that gear.
If you ever rode a Kawasaki ZX6R A1P 2002 636 model then you would be grateful for a single digital speedo. The numbers are so small you have no idea, with the vibration, what your actual speed is.
Analogue vs. digital - Hamsafar
Analogue is better for readings which are changing, such as speed in a car or altitude in a plane, but digital is better for a relatively constant reading such as a refrigerator temp display or gigabytes free on a hard disk.
Analogue vs. digital - rtj70
The typical analogue speedo is actually digital though.

Turn say a Ford unit into diagnostic mode and the speed is displayed in digital form which fluctuates a lot more than the analogue. They seem to have programmed some sort of intertia into the analogue dial. Oh and when entering the diag mode the needles on the speedo and rev counter all swing round so they are definately being fed signal electronically on what to display.

The digital readout is also a lot more accurate as speed increases.
Analogue vs. digital - cheddar
Analogue every time, the position of the needle gives a relative reading at a glance.
Analogue vs. digital - blue_haddock
Back in the day i absolutely loved my cousins MK2 Astra GTE with the digital dash.
Analogue vs. digital - David Horn
Back in the day i absolutely loved my cousins MK2 Astra GTE with the digital
dash.

What blue_haddock said. :P
Analogue every time the position of the needle gives a relative reading at a glance.

Again I would argue this with the Kwak example above. 60 and 80 look very similar and aren't that far apart on a 180mph speedo.
Analogue vs. digital - Zippy123
5000 in a diesel would be banging off the limiter whereas a Honda S2000 would
just be warming up. A rev counter is analogue so you can see where you
are in relation to the operating range of the engine in that gear.

What about a percentage then?
Analogue vs. digital - Kuang
ISTR the Fiat Tipo had a digital speedo that had a row of bars above it - the numerals gave the exact speed, and the bars lit from left to right to indicate the position within the engine's range.
Analogue vs. digital - bathtub tom
Can we indicate our age with replies?
I'm ancient (pushing 60) and prefer analogue! But not those old dials that took a while to catch up, I can't remember their name, but I'm sure someone'l put me right!
Analogue vs. digital - SlidingPillar
Chronometric!

You can actually buy pseudo chronometric tachometers at a vast price but why is another matter.
ISTR the Fiat Tipo had a digital speedo that had a row of bars above
it - the numerals gave the exact speed and the bars lit from left to
right to indicate the position within the engine's range.

I'll put money on the fact the rev limiter intervened before the red or amber LED lit up...
Uno Mk1 turbo's had the option of LED dashboards. Guess which ones had turbo and cam belt problems ?
Analogue vs. digital - ForumNeedsModerating
The definitive answer is that analogue representations of quantity require less processing power from human resources than do digital representations, hence quicker perception.

The reason is simple: analogue representations do not reuiure Number. Number in the perceptual sense needs an extra translation or process to give a meaning. Analogue perceptions of quantity only require learning of a pattern, e.g. try this experiment: look at your watch. If it says for example '4:52' pm (digital face) your brain translates to says 'ah, 4,5,2 so nearly 5 to 5' or even 'nearly 5 to 5 or even nearly 5 o-clock'. On an analogue dial the nearly-ness of 5 o'clock immediately registers - no calculation of number is required, the familair pattern of the hands in that position is much quicker to recognise. We are programmed, by the evolutionary imperative, to recognise patterns & shapes more quickly.

Look at your rev. counter - how much more easy is it to recognise the position of say, 4,000 rpm from its position on the dial (nearly vertical for most petrol engines) or '2 p.m.' for most diesels in top gear.

I dislike representations of quantity in digital format (for real-time activities) for this reason.

I agree totally with Woodbines, well said!
Analogue vs. digital - jase1
Digital readouts are an 80s gimmick. Like digital watches, they should have been discontinued years ago.

If Citroen are still doing them, it doesn't say much for the confidence they have in their product. They should possibly put more effort into getting their electrics right in the first place before adding more gimmicks.
Analogue vs. digital - madf
I drive a Yaris with digital readout. For all but the illiterate, I'm sure it's much better. No peering, no recognising positions, just simple big clear nos in a shielded display .

You're just old stick in the muds: unable to adapt to changes.
:-)

madf
Analogue vs. digital - L'escargot
Change for changes sake is rarely a good thing.

I prefer analogue ~ but modern electronic not old-fashioned mechanical.
--
L\'escargot.
Analogue vs. digital - jc2
As Woodbines says,analogue will tell you quickly if you're doing approximately 30mph whilst digital will need a longer look to tell you if you're dodoing exactly 29 or 31 mph.
Analogue vs. digital - Armitage Shanks {p}
Analogue enables one to easily observe a rate of change or a trend. When flying I used to have both head up digital and head down analogue. If you are in a descent and trying to level out at a particular height it is way easier to judge it by looking at the movement of a needle than the change of numbers in a digital display.
Analogue vs. digital - daveyjp
From my only experience of digital in a Yaris the speedo takes time to catch up and show your actual speed.
daveyjp, you're absolutely right. By definition any digital system must take a sample of the speed over a set period, and to be accurate this set period must be in the order of tens of milliseconds at least, in practice hundreds of milliseconds -- at 70mph the engine is only turning around 40rpm/mph so to get a sample accurate to within 1mph takes at very least 1.3 seconds.

Having said that, I doubt that a Yaris has such blistering acceleration that such accuracy is required, and in any case an analogue system is similarly sampled and hence just as inaccurate. I've noticed a similar lag with dial-based systems, it's just harder to detect.
Analogue vs. digital - Number_Cruncher
To get comfortably below 1mph resolution (assuming a wheel radius of 300mm and 30 teeth on the ABS pickup)
vmph=70;
rwheel=0.3;
vms=vmph*1.6093*1000/3600;
omegaw=vms/rwheel;
nteeth=30;
omegasignal=omegaw*nteeth;
fsignal=omegasignal/(2*pi)

fsignal =

f_1mph=fsignal/70

f_1mph =

t_sample=2/f_1mph

t_sample =

So, about 0.3 seconds.

Number_Cruncher
Analogue vs. digital - Pugugly {P}
Wow.
Analogue vs. digital - J Bonington Jagworth
"If Citroen are still doing them"

I assume you're referring to the weird rotating drum dials fitted to some GS's and Mk.1 CX's that were described as digital, but were really analogue with bigger numbers. Once you got over the initial shock, they worked rather well, IMHO, as you got a big numerical indication of speed or revs with the analogue component of speed of variation. Probably not as good as a conventional dial with clear numbers, where the angle of the needle tells you most of what you need to know, but certainly better than electronic digits.

The clincher for me is that on my bike, which has identically sized dials close together, I can also tell at a glance what gear I'm in, simply from their relative positions...
analogue representations of quantity require less processing power from human
resources

Aaaah! That's why I prefer analogue. Fewer brain resources ...

Perhaps the same applies to preferring a slide-rule to a calculator.

Hawkeye
-------------------------------------
aged fify-five and three-quarters
Analogue vs. digital - whoopwhoop
Buy an AUDI with DIS and the get the BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.

Traditional Analogue speedo & rev counter, with the user-delectable option to display digital speed in big numbers in the central fuel computer display. Great for driving on the continent (can easily switch to km/h).
A Merc Vito I borrowed for an evening had a dual digital/analogue display - most distracting.
Analogue vs. digital - whoopwhoop
A Merc Vito I borrowed for an evening had a dual digital/analogue display - most
distracting.

How can a dual display be distracting?

If you're distracted by a number showing on the dash display, you really should stop driving immediately before you do some damage.
Analogue vs. digital - BobbyG
Scenic had digital. Altea has analogue.

Prefer the Scenic as the Altea is in 20mpg increments and they are evens, so no marker for 30,50,70 which I think are the highest number of speed limits.

Having said that , SWMBO could see the Scenic speedo from the passenger seat, she can't see the Altea's!
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Analogue vs. digital - BobbyG
On a separate note, I read recently that the new Corsa is not allowed to be used for driving tests as the examiner is unable to see the speedo from the passenger seat. Thought that would be a big blow to Vauxhall as I see plenty of the older style Corsa's as Learner cars.
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Analogue vs. digital - Andy P
What manufacturers should do is repalce the instrument display with a TFT display which has various preset displays (analogue, digital) and allow you to design your own layout (within limits - e.g you must have a speedometer and it must be a specific size).
Analogue vs. digital - DP
The Scenic is the first car I've owned with a digital display, and on balance I think I prefer analogue.

It's certainly true that with conventional dials you refer to needle position as much as the actual reading for a "quick glance" assessment of speed or revs. This is obviously impossible with digital. I didn't realise I did this until I lost the analogue dials.

The Scenic's central location of its display panel is also not ideal. It means diverting your eyes quite markedly from the road ahead, and the difference between say 30 and 38 is not always discernible in your peripheral vision as the position of a big needle would be. The Mondeo has two huge, beautifully clear dials for speed and revs, and these can be seen clearly out of the "corner of your eye" as it were. Oh, and having a display in the middle means it's also on full view to all your passengers which means you get the odd tut or comment if you're pressing on. The days of having mates in the car who would approve of illegal speeds with words of encouragement are sadly long gone! ;-)

What digital is good for is its absolute precision (within the limits of its accuracy of course). It's also nice if you drive on the continent, where of course you can flick to km/h and have a proper readout in "foreign" numbers. Much nicer than having to decipher that 6 point font that most speedos carry their km/h calibrations in, or do the conversions in your head. It's also neat having everything together in one place. The Scenic's single central panel carries speed, revs, fuel, temperature, all warning lights, fuel computer readout, radio/CD information and door ajar display. Keeps the rest of the dash nice and neat.

The Scenic's biggest problem is its rev counter which is completely useless. 1 illuminated segment = about 250 RPM.
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Analogue vs. digital - GregSwain
I like analogue, especially when they're laid out so that 30mph is a horizonal needle, and 70mph is a vertical needle. Easy to see if you're breaking the speed limit without even looking at the numbers. Can be done from the corner of your eye too, unlike digits which need to be read.
On a separate note I read recently that the new Corsa is not allowed to
be used for driving tests as the examiner is unable to see the speedo from
the passenger seat. Thought that would be a big blow to Vauxhall as I see
plenty of the older style Corsa's as Learner cars.

If true, that's absolutely catastrophic for Vauxhall I'd have thought, seeing as the Corsa is the learner car, and BSM buy them up in huge numbers. It's as bad as if they'd lost Vectra reps sales -- Vauxhall would be sunk if they had to rely on private sales only.
Analogue vs. digital - hxj

Maybe they should have told my wife when she passed in her new corsa about a month ago. Thge bigest problem was getting a stick on mirror for the examiner that stayed and fitted on the sloping windscreen .....

The DSA website says:

"Category B - cars and vans

Cars or vans presented for test must be:

a four wheeled vehicle of no more than 3500 kilograms (kg) maximum authorised mass (MAM)
capable of a speed of at least 100 kilometres per hour (km/h) or 62.5 miles per hour (mph)
The car or van must also be fitted with:

a seatbelt for the examiner
a passenger head restraint, this needn't be adjustable but must be fitted as an integral part of the seat - 'slip on' type head restraints aren't permitted
an interior mirror for the examiner's use

L-plates displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle but not interfering with the driver's or examiner's view
a speedometer that measures speed in miles per hour and kilometres per hour

The vehicle must be legal and roadworthy and have no warning lights showing ie the airbag warning light."

There are no notes on there about not being able to use a Corsa.
Analogue vs. digital - L'escargot
...... preferring a slide-rule to a calculator.

Crikey Hawkeye, now that is what I'd call being old-fashioned! When did you dump your abacus and log tables?
--
L\'escargot.
Analogue vs. digital - ndbw
Analogue is best, it was common in pre war sports/racing cars to put the rev. counter directly in front of driver and set it in the dashboard so that the red line was at the 12oclock position,impossible not for revs not to register with half an eye.

ndbw
Analogue vs. digital - Spospe
My wife and I have had Yaris (various models) from the day of launch and have no problem at all with the digital display. We also have 'conventional' vehicles with analogue displays and we have no problem with those either.

We have never seen slow responding displays on the Yaris and have no trouble with reading the display at any time of day or night (OK under very rare conditions of sunlight coming through the rear screen, the display can get hard to see).

One excellent advantage of the Yaris is that the display can be switched from MPH to KPH fror continental use and this is much better than trying to read the KPH scale on an analogue speedometer. Also the digital 'rev counter' is much faster to respond than an analogue needle as there is no inertia involved.

Analogue vs. digital - Pete M
If analogue is so much clearer, then why is 50Km/h so hard to accurately set my speed to in my 1984 Jaguar XJ12? It must be because the speedometer needs have graduations to 260Km/h, (car's max speed is 240Km/h) so the difference between 50 and 60Km/h is less than 10mm on the dial. It's fine when I'm wearing my reading glasses, but the driving ones make the instruments a little fuzzy.
A recent play in an aircraft flight simulator with 'glass cockpit' technology showed the way forward. The instrument displays mostly simulated an analogue environment, but with added digital information. That gave the best of both worlds, an appreciation of trends and acceleration from the analogue part, and accurate figures from the digital part.
I can't wait for car instruments to be done the same way, perhaps with head-up displays.
Analogue vs. digital - Kevin
They both have their place.

For accurate measurement of static or slowly changing values then digital is fine.

For moving values then analogue every time because in one short glance they tell you four things.

a) The instantaneous value.
b) The rate of change.
c) Proximity to any limits.
d) Relationship to other indications.

The more indications you have to monitor, the worse digital becomes. LED is also much worse than backlit LCD because of visual overload.

I spent the early part of my career working in technical development of process control and telemetry systems for heavy industry. One place I worked at had built a new processing plant with LED digital instead of analogue readouts. The operations staff absolutely hated it and I ended up ripping them all out and replacing with analogue at huge cost. The only one I retained was a single readout that had to be kept at a constant value.

With analogue instruments an experienced operator seems to develop a photographic memory. They can take one look at an instrument panel with literally hundreds of readouts and know immediately if something is wrong even before an alarm indication occurs.

In one case an operator noticed an ammeter fluctuating in perfect sync with a conveyor weightometer readout. He called for a techie who found that the instruments were fine and it was caused by the belt slipping on the head pulley. The belt was being damaged by the slippage and would have cost hundreds of thousands to repair had it failed (it was 3km long and carried 5 thousand tons/hour).

With flickering LED displays he probably wouldn't have noticed.

The cost of going to analogue was more than compensated for by reduced downtime and maintenance costs.

Kevin...
a) The instantaneous value.
b) The rate of change.
c) Proximity to any limits.
d) Relationship to other indications.

Yes Kevin - a neat & concise summary of the advantages. Might I also add , to your excellent post - analogue representations can be more easily read from peripheral vision, without compromising your central focus & attention on the 'action'. Whenever I look at a digital display I seem to have to conciously focus & 'think' the number or figure, rather than quicikly 'absorbing' analogue information. Literally, a 'no brainer'!
Kevin and Woodbines sum it up well for me.

Also on the Mondeo there are various functions you can enable via the trip computer, some diagnostic though one is a continuous digital speed readout.
Thank-you for your kind comments Cheddar!
Analogue vs. digital - tyro
All my cars have been analogue, but I have driven hire cars with digital speedometers. It doesn't make a lot of difference to me, but given the choice I prefer digital. I also prefer digital clocks.

Aged 47. Maybe that has something to do with it. Digital was just coming in when I was in my teens, so maybe I still subconsciously think of it as the 'modern' way of doing things:-)
Analogue vs. digital - madf
"Aged 47. Maybe that has something to do with it"

Youngster!:-)

Us old ones move with the times... unlike some of the younger ones in carpet slippers and pipes and mufflers on this thread:-)

madf
No-one has mentioned "electronic analogue" which appears in a number of cars!
"electronic analogue"

We are talking analogue ir digital display as opposed to actuation.
I'm talking a completely blank screen till you turn the ignition on-then you get a display of lines pretending to be an analogue display but actually digital.More lines light up as mph. and rpm. increase.No needles,just electronic lines.
I'm talking a completely blank screen till you turn the ignition on-then you get a
display of lines pretending to be an analogue display but actually digital.More lines light up
as mph. and rpm. increase.No needles just electronic lines.

Thats not a digital DISPLAY. It may be electronic, but its not digits.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Thats not a digital DISPLAY. It may be electronic but its not digits.

Hold on, digital doesn't mean digits surely -- digital means, put simply, 1s and 0s. An electronic disply can take only one of a certain number of finite positions -- it is just as much a digital display as one with numbers. Much like the digital watches you used to get in the 80s with an LCD clock face -- they were still digital.

An electronic display is what pretty much any modern car has -- ie controlled by electronic, rather than mechanical, means.
Analogue vs. digital

AFAIAC analogue is a needle sweeping an arc, and digital is a series of constantly changing, increasing and decreasing numbers. How they are respetively formed is another matter.
AFAIAC analogue is a needle sweeping an arc and digital is a series of constantly
changing increasing and decreasing numbers. How they are respetively formed is another matter.

Exactly -- a display consisting of a set of elements which light up in turn falls into the digital category according to this definition.

Otherwise the difference between analogue and digital is very blurred indeed.

I think the orginal point of the thread was those spedos that displayed Numbers (ie numerals or digits) and all the others that dont. (mostly some form of needle representation)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I think the orginal point of the thread was those spedos that displayed Numbers (ie
numerals or digits) and all the others that dont. (mostly some form of needle representation)

Actually yeah I can see where you are coming from -- for the purposes of the thread etc etc
Well when I were a lad before t'war. I was taught in school that analogue in this sense was where the eye measured as if measuring an angle rather than "read" - so a virtual electronically created needle or a real plastic one is still an analogue display, where the digits are ones you read they are er...digital. I had a digital alarm clock in university, they were plastic digits folded by a clockwork/mechanical gear driven system, but they it was still a digital clock despite being analogue driven.
>analogue driven

err no - analogues dont drive anything, that would be electro mechanical.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Ah but the point is the "digital" display depended on the position of a cog on a drive, therefore making it analogue driven - yes of course it had a motor !

The enigma machine was an analogue computer driven by a motor but still the way it worked was purely analogue despite the "digital" display.

Where's NumberCruncher when you want him ?
Damn PU you leave me no chance.

The Engima machine was the actual device that encoded the german cyphers. It was purley electro mechanical - being a series of cogged driven wheels with electrical interconnects. There was no "computer" in it at all. It computed nothing.

The Bombe - the machine that decoded the "enigma" was again an electro mechanical device that reverse copied the workings of the "enigma" This again computed nothing.

You are thinking of Colusus, the worlds first programeable computer, that was electro mechanical and electronic (using valves as switches) and a paper tape input with five bit murray code. So colusus was "digital" in parts. This was used to decide the German naval code that was generated on a Lorenz SZ40/42 which is not an enigma machine.(although it used similar cogged wheels)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

No, as in the context of a display analogue is a needle sweeping an arc and digital is a series of constantly changing increasing and decreasing numbers
How eloquently put Cheddar.
How eloquently put Cheddar.

Ta !
No as in the context of a display analogue is a needle sweeping an arc
and digital is a series of constantly changing increasing and decreasing numbers

OK, well what about the display on a Honda I saw in Tokyo which had an electronic display consisting of an arc of segments which went up and down in an analogue manner, along with a numerical representation which appeared and disappeared depending on the speed of travel, ie between 25 and 35kph the 30 would appear, then the 30 would disappear and the 40 appear with the arc going past that position etc.

Is that analogue or digital?
Is that analogue or digital?

the arc is analogue, the numbers are digital.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
A lddle bit of both !
No the thread is about the presence of digits or a "pointer" to display the speed. Not how they are generated. All new cars have electronic speedos.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
We are talking about the display, what the driver sees, and not the actuation.

However you can have:

A cable driven digital display, GS, CX etc

A cable driven anolgue display, almost all cars pre mid 90's actually

An electronic digital display, LED or LCD, Astra GTE, MG Maestro, Espace, Piccasso etc

An electronic analogue display, many modern cars, either a motor driven needle or an LCD/LED needle that sweeps an arc
No the thread is about the presence of digits or a "pointer" to display the
speed. Not how they are generated.

As the OP, that's exactly what I meant.

Here's the glossary;

Digital - digits, even though they may be mechanical. (Yes I had one of those '70s clock radios)

Mechanical - something with moving parts that you can take apart but not necessarily put back together

Electronic - something with no moving parts. Parts, not molecules, atoms or electrons.

Analogue - something with a pointer, not necessarily mechanical.

On this rare, possibly unique, occasion I am at one with TVM; thank you.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Analogue vs. digital - Brian Tryzers
I'm thoroughly on the analogue side too - provided it's done well. There were a couple of comments earlier about problems of cramming a wide speed range onto an analogue dial, both of which feed one of my hobby-horse topics.

I can see that getting 0-180 mph onto a motorcycle speedo is going to be a problem. (Are motorcycle dials smaller than their car equivalents?) But 0-260 km/h or 0-160 mph in a car can be done and done well. Volvo's 0-160 speedos are better than tolerable, with a bold, red needle and clear tick-marks at 2 mph intervals. I've been using one for nearly five years and it's OK.

But it's not as good as the one I had before. The 1990s Saab speedo is, for my money, unsurpassed. Marked 0-150, but using almost the entire 360 degrees (the Volvo one is about 270) and numbered in 10 mph increments with 70 at the top, it was just brilliantly readable.
Funnily enough, this was proved to me when Saab tried to improve it: in about 2000, they came up with a 'two-stage' speedo, in which the speeds from 90-150 were compressed into the last 100 degrees or so, and 0-90 got the other 240, with 50 at the top. And, for me at least, it just doesn't work. The gaps were just too big - like trying to read a large-print book, where the eyes have to scan too far from one word to the next. The natural association between needle angle and speed was broken and it took me longer to read the fancy new instrument than the classical old one.

New Volvos - S80 and V70 - I've noticed, have played a different form of fast and loose with the essential needle. They've stolen the centre of the dial for the computer readout, leaving the needle to trace a lonely path round the edge. I've not driven one yet, but I suspect this design will demand more attention than the old design with a fully visible needle. Anyone here tried one and would like to comment?
Thank-you for your kind comments Cheddar!

Ta !