POLICE Follow this vehicle - Cliff Pope
Why is this sign displayed on the back of security vans collecting money from banks?
Does it mean:
a) a warning to thieves that the vehicle is being actively followed by policemen? Can this really be true?
b) an instruction to any police who might be handy, as in "Follow that cab!" Why, and what happens if there aren't any police around?

Either way it seems a bit optimistic to hope that the police might be in a position to take time off from filing paperwork in order to attend to bank robberies that haven't actually happened.
POLICE Follow this vehicle - Stuartli
I live on the North West coast and on the days when large cash deliveries are being made or collected at post offices etc the Merseyside Police helicopter is very much in evidence overhead.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
POLICE Follow this vehicle - BazzaBear {P}
Does the sign have an orange light anywhere near it?

I remember in the US, things like security vans and taxi cabs had a light on the back which the driver could turn on with his foot to tell surrounding cars that a hijack was taking place without the hijackers knowing.
Perhaps that idea has made it's way over the pond?
POLICE Follow this vehicle - bell boy
i saw the same sticker the other day stuck on the back like a discarded sweety wrapper and also wondered what is the point? with all the modern technology we have,i mean, when was the last time you read about a good blagging with purdeys and real silk stocking masks

Bazza when the money comes up to leeds on the M1 you want to see the convoy, but you sure dont want to get in the way.
and also wondered what is the point? with all the modern technology we
have>>

Quite. There's not a policeman or car in sight, nor do I see plainclothes men loitering pretending to read newspapers but ready for instant chase. Presumably the vehicle is tracked, so Securicor Control know exactly where it is, and the driver will have logged in to say all well at pick up no. X. The smart CCTV on the van will be checking for any suspicious vehicles that seem to be following it, so where exactly does this sticker come in? Who is supposed to read it, and do what?
POLICE Follow this vehicle - Lud
a good blagging with
purdeys and real silk stocking masks

Raffles the Gentleman Violent Robber bb?
POLICE Follow this vehicle - ForumNeedsModerating
Maybe deliberately obtuse, so relying on literate robbers associating verbs,nouns & adjectives - 'Quick back in the Jag boys - police are sniffin' around this'un.'
or
After that famous old 'mis-read' (often in parking areas or places liable to obstruction): 'Polite Notice: No parking'
POLICE Follow this vehicle - aaflyer
If tasking allows, then it's a case of following the van if you're going the same way and sitting behind it on dual carriageways or motorways. It therefore acts to deter the 'average' thug who hasn't done their homework.

AA
POLICE Follow this vehicle - Westpig
8< SNIP

apart from not being motoring related, this post also fell foul of trying to avoid the swear filter - DD
POLICE Follow this vehicle - milkyjoe
i used to be a fork lift driver for tesco, and on one occasion a consignment of cigarettes turned up approx £500k worth (which i had to sign for) the lorry carrying them had hoovers advertised on the side , but as soon as the driver stopped his vehicle he had 10 mins to notify the depot that he had stopped otherwise the tracker would kick off and the plod would be involved! this was before sat nav say nigh on 20 years ago
must have been a big waggon milky i stopped smoking 20 years ago when fags became £2 a packet so i reckon half a million pounds is 250,000 packets of fags and thats not counting the lambert and butlers that were only £1.50 at the time
;-)
POLICE Follow this vehicle - milkyjoe
200 fags per carton x 25 per box = 5000 fags thats only 500 boxes approx 6 pallets
i still cant get my ed round it
people still offer me sleeves of fags or rollin backa and its a foreign language these days to me
POLICE Follow this vehicle - GroovyMucker
And learned counsel retired hurt, having asked such a dumb question.
--
Stevie
Lakland 44-02 Sunburst
Yamaha YTS-23
Mexican Telecaster
Alesis Micron
POLICE Follow this vehicle - Bill Payer
It means the vehicle won't stop for the Police, but instead they have to follow it and it will drive to the nearest Police station.

Truck drivers with high value cargo carry cards that say the same thing and they're not supposed to open the cab door to Police (as they're 'often' hijacked by pretend Police officers).

My brother used to do Military related stuff and he was instructed never to stop for Old Bill, but to drive to the nearest Military base - he never had to do it, but lived in fear of what might happen!
So it is an instruction to the police, not a warning statement to would-be hijackers?

Next question - discuss the grammar and sentence construction in the phrase "STOP Children crossing".
POLICE Follow this vehicle - Bill Payer
So it is an instruction to the police not a warning statement to would-be hijackers?

Thinking about this today, I'm minded to think that it's probably intended as a warning to would-be thieves.
POLICE Follow this vehicle - leef
I've seen NTL vans and PartCO vans with stickers on them that say "POLICE - Stop this Vehicile between the hours of 11pm and 6AM it is probably stolen" I think its a pretty good idea.Although plod would have to be right behind it to see the sticker.

Lee
I've seen NTL vans and PartCO vans with stickers on them that say "POLICE -
Stop this Vehicile between the hours of 11pm and 6AM it is probably stolen"

That's a good idea. I'll put one on my car too.
POLICE Follow this vehicle - Neiltoo
We had a similar system promoted by the local paper some years ago.
We had green triangular stickers, front and rear with "25" written on.

If the car was out in the small hours with someone apparently under 25, the Police could stop it just to check.

No proof that it ever worked.

No good for geriatric twocers!!

Neil