People Power vs Speed bumps - Flat in Fifth
Seeing as there are a few who appear to like proof of comments by links to the media. Here is one from tonights paper.

In Bewdley, ordinary citizens, not speed freaks, not ranters, have set up a case of www.thisiskidderminster.co.uk/worcestershire/kidde...l " target="_blank"> People Power vs Speed Bumps and forced a vote into the town's traffic calming scheme.

I'm not going to comment about the wisdom/purpose of the proposed scheme.

There is one significant thing to come out of the article and I quote from The Shuttle published today.

"Twenty-seven, including former mayor Tony Rhoden, turned up at Bewdley Town Council's annual parish meeting on Monday to exercise their right to a parish poll.

If 10 people demand a poll on a relevant issue at the meeting, it has to be held."
end quote.

I'm interested if this is something which applies elsewhere, or just in Bewdley.

Perhaps our legal friends can advise.
Re: People Power vs Speed bumps - bob
i know a bit about parish matters and you are right a vote can be called in the manner described. However, the outcome does not mean anything will happen. (not that we know what the purpose of the vote is anyway!)
Re: People Power vs Speed bumps - Flat in Fifth
bob wrote:
>

>(not that we know what
> the purpose of the vote is anyway!)

just to clarify, maybe the link did not work

QUESTION TIME

The questions which will require a `yes or no' answer are:

Do you want the county council scheme for Bewdley to proceed in full?

Would you prefer a smaller scheme closely targeted on the schoolchildren's crossing places on Cleobury Road and Wyre Hill?

Would you prefer no scheme at all?

Do you want the county council to ensure all future traffic- calming schemes throughout Bewdley or Wribbenhall are closely targeted on known danger points?

OK?
Just to make it completely clear! - Flat in Fifth
LINK TO THE ORIGINAL NEWSPAPER ARTICLE>>>> www.thisiskidderminster.co.uk/worcestershire/kidde...l " target="_blank"> People Power vs Speed Bumps
Re: Just to make it completely clear! - The
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Related thoughts on a bogush associated ranting forum:

We Must Fight To Retain Our Freedom
Re: Just to make it completely clear! - Bill
The vote will give the county council a strong feeling for the communities thoughts but will not be legally binding or force the county council to change its approach, although they may reconsider if they wish. Of course, if the County Council has done it's job properly it would already have consulted local communities and the Parish Council to obtain their views.
Re: People Power vs Speed bumps - Trevor Potter
The important thing about this is that it is a "campaign" within the rules and the Law.

If the Council ignore this (or any) move by residents - they do so at risk of being voted out.

Unfortunately, some Local Councils are split along political party lines, which results in the "You said . . " "No I didn't" "Yes you did" nonsense.