00 Mondeo 1.8 Cambelt change and Tappets - bonzo45
I have an X reg Ford Modeo 1.8L petrol with 55K miles. Last week it had a 10K service and the cam belt changed. After 2 days I noticed a tinkling noise from the engine and took it back to the garage.

They have told me it is the tappets. and that I will have to pay for them (not sure how much yet).

Should I have to pay for this as there was no noise before I took it in?

Could it have been something they did when changing the cam belt or is it just coincidence?

Was it the tappets or what else could it have been?

Should I find another garage? I've been using this one for about 2.5 years without a problem but am not very happy.

Grateful for all advise.

slight tweak to subject line - PU
00 Mondeo 1.8 Cambelt change and Tappets - henry k
I have just had the cambelt & kit done on my Mondeo.

>>I noticed a tinkling noise from the engine
Me too but PRIOR to getting the job done.

Now all is quiet again.
The cambelt tensioner was breaking up and I was told that the noise was possibly the valves just hitting the pistons.

00 Mondeo 1.8 Cambelt change and Tappets - cheddar
As henry k alludes to, were the tentioners and pulleys changed along with the belt, if not that could be the problem.

Otherwise if it is a MkII Mondeo it has hydraulic tappets IIRC so do not need adjustment, if it is a MkIII it could need the tappets adjusting though it would be chain cam would not have needed a cambelt change in the first place.
00 Mondeo 1.8 Cambelt change and Tappets - kithmo
I doubt if it would want the tappets adjusting/replacing at 55k miles, adjustable or hydraulic. Is it just tinkling on start up or does it do it all the time ?
If it's only from startup then it could be they've used a cheap oil filter with a weak by-pass valve seal and all the oil is running back out of the filter when the car is stood overnight. Get a proper Ford (Motorcraft) one, they are of very good quality. I had this one my old mk1 Mondeo when I used a well known Motor factor branded filter.
00 Mondeo 1.8 Cambelt change and Tappets - carl233
On MK1/2 Mondeo's the tappets are hydraulic on Zetec-E units from 1992 to April 98. From approx May 98 onwards they are are mechanical. I would ensure the following as suggested:

Check 5w30 oil and check level.

Mechanical tappets should not need touching until 100k miles. You really do need confirmation that a full kit was fitted and not just the belt. The best of luck.
00 Mondeo 1.8 Cambelt change and Tappets - yorkiebar
More likely lack of tensioners changed than filter problems imo.
00 Mondeo 1.8 Cambelt change and Tappets - cheddar
On MK1/2 Mondeo's the tappets are hydraulic on Zetec-E units from 1992 to April 98.
From approx May 98 onwards they are are mechanical. >>

So the black top has solid lifters?
00 Mondeo 1.8 Cambelt change and Tappets - carl233
Yes, you are right Cheddar:

Silver cam cover hydraulic

Black cover solid mech tappets

I am not aware of a case at present with the MK1/2 Mondeo's where the mech tappets have needed work before 100k. Even though Ford suggest they should be checked at the 100k service I have seen vehicles with over 200k that have never had them adjusted.