Testing and Marking of E4 Tyres - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Who actually tests and certifies E4 car tyres for use in Europe? My tyre supplier claims that everything they sell is appropriately tested.

Speed rating e.g. H, V, mud and snow capability ?M & S?, tread wear index, load index etc.. seems a lot to test/check - presumably on all sizes.
With so many far eastern brands, I cannot believe that independent verification is being carried out on them all. I have my suspicions.

Testing and Marking of E4 Tyres - jc2
E4 would normally be the fourth country to sign up to the EC vehicle regulations-Germany was number one-so their approvals begin e1.The original tyres would be submitted for testing/inspection before approval is granted and then regular checks are made on production and manufaturers are required to submit regular quality control reports.
E4 is the Netherlands.
Thanks for that. The importers are indeed a Dutch company.
But who does the testing and on what. All permutations and combinations of size and speed rating would surely be a lengthy and expensive task.

Is M&S capability tested or is it merely a manufacturers assertion?
M&S is almost certainly a manufacturer's assertion-the regulations are basically safety-orientated.The testing would be done by the Dutch test agency TNO and their reports would go to the Dutch government who would issue the approvals.I doubt that every size/type would be tested.The regulations would state what would need to be tested to cover the entire range and the manufacturers and the test agency would meet to agree specifications that would enable the whole range to be covered.And,yes,the testing could take weeks.
jc2 Thanks.
Just bought some summer Chinese made tyres and was surprised to see the M&S code.
Testing and Marking of E4 Tyres - yorkiebar
Marks and Spencers do tyres now?

And you can take them back if you don't like the colour and have the receipt.....

I notice from my recent research that wet braking is not part of tyre testing at present. A number of development projects were set up a few years back.
I do not expect that my cheap Chinese tyres will perform best BUT I see that the treadware index is 400 so a longer life could be on the cards.