BMW Stolen - steveivs42
I had my BMW 330 coupe Sport stolen from my home Friday 6th am. The pink fluffy dice got in my home and nicked the key. Its black with cream leather, last few digits of chassis JU65133. Most probably either in bits, cloned or in europe. So, if your looking to purchase a black BMW, this one's registered on HPI as stolen. Last seen in Berkshire. The most annoying this was I spent £300 on new rear tyres and MOT the day before as I had just sold it.
I'll go back to a Mondeo, no-one nicks them!!
BMW Stolen - PoloGirl
And that is why our local force runs periodic 'take your car keys to bed' campaigns.

Sorry to hear about it, hope you get the car back Steve, and that you've done all the obvious changing the locks/varying the routine things.
BMW Stolen - Chris M
Is that so you can be woken in the middle of the night with a knife to our throat and being asked "Where's the keys you *&%$£@"?
BMW Stolen - PoloGirl
>Is that so you can be woken in the middle of the night with a knife to your throat and being asked "Where's the keys you *&%$£@"?

No, it's because most burglaries are opportunist.

As a burglar, which would you rather do - a nice easy one where the keys and handbags are neatly laid out in the hall with a nice calendar by the phone telling you when the occupants are going to be on holiday, or one where you have to risk waking everyone up by searching and getting caught. Why make it easy for them?

BMW Stolen - Chris M
I take your point but with the risk goes the reward. A new high spec BMW or similar may not be opportunistic.
BMW Stolen - steveivs42
Oh yes, door locks changed and house alarm now winging its way to me. Now park the missus's old car infront of the gate so none of my other cars go the same route but then I normally deal in mondeo's and jag x-type's , shan't be dealing in BM's anymore, not worth the grief!
BMW Stolen - bell boy
playing inspector morse here
you just sold it?
maybe a previous looker saw the car saw where you kept the keys (in the broom cupboard on the right?) and came back?
are the police aware it was for sale and any lookers who seem"d keen but not commited?

BMW Stolen - Altea Ego
Likely culprit
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
BMW Stolen - Number_Cruncher
playing inspector morse here

Don't you mean Andy Dalziel?

BMW Stolen - cheddar
bell boy's got a good point, viewers / enquirers are prime suspects IMO.
BMW Stolen - doog
did they break in or just walk in through your back door and nick the keys off the side...that's the usual occurance, easy peasy..
BMW Stolen - MichaelR
I had better put a sticker in the window of mine showing the mileage so nobody wants to nick it.
BMW Stolen - islandman
Sorry to hear about this ----- I gather these & many cars now are almost impossible to nick without the key --- unless you have a flatbed truck & winch.
I have a 330ci 'vert & my wife laughs at me 'cos I take the key up to bed, the spare is hidden elsewhere. She says I'd rather sleep with my 'vert than her --------- many a true word.....!
BMW Stolen - steveivs42
Broke into the house at 4.50am, when it was light, so they could obviously see if they could see keys, which were hanging up in the kitchen!!! getting burglar alarm now, dont fancy this again!!
BMW Stolen - steveivs42
Sold the vehicle to the first viewer. Police informed of their address, whether they looked him up, I doubt it but can't believe for one moment he had it in him to break into my house and steal it.
BMW Stolen - Saltrampen
My mate's series 1 newish BMW has been smashed into and keyed in the space of 6 months, yet other cars down the street have been unscathed even if newer.

I wonder if tinting the windows and filling the inside with bling, may make the "insert suitable term" who do this think that they are dealing with some local gangster that it would be a mistake to deal with...but then I guess it depends where you park it...not going to work in a quite surban leafy cul-de-sac.

BMW Stolen - ForumNeedsModerating
..are dealing with some local gangster that it would be a mistake to deal with...but then I guess it depends where you park it..

Yeah, perhaps there's some mileage in that bit of psychology. My local chippy (chip shop not carpenter, that is) must be selling alot of cod & chips, since he parks his M3 outside his shop/residence on the main drag through town. I always have look around it while I'm waiting for the cod - not any sign on envy marks at all - and this is parked 24/7 along a route any drunken and/or spiteful type is bound to walk along.
Perhaps, taking it a step further, any owner of such bling machinery should have his/her 'gangsta kit' ready to deploy. Maybe, a P.Diddy (or insert vogue rapper of choice) portrait on a chain hanging from the rear-view mirror, a spangly-glittery gear knob cover, a removable car 'tattoo' of intimidating resonance & a pair of knickers on the front passenger seat (or maybe thong..?)
BMW Stolen - Lud
and this is parked 24/7 along a route any drunken and/or spiteful
type is bound to walk along.

People who go in for malicious damage are essentially sneaky and cowardly people. They won't (even when drunk) risk being seen doing something. So a car parked in a busy street is safer than one in a peaceful leafy side street, where any toerag can creep about meanly damaging things if he or she is so inclined.
BMW Stolen - bell boy
spot on lud
BMW Stolen - Altea Ego
dealing with some local gangster
that it would be a mistake to deal with...

NO gangster of fear would drive a BMW 1 series.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
BMW Stolen - ijws15
A colleague was warned by the police, just after a burglar stole his keys, NOT to take them to bed with him.

Their comment was "You don't want them to come and ask for the keys do you sir!"

As far as I am concerned they are left downstairs, out of sight of the letter box - if someone wants the car that badly I am not going to risk personal injury or worse. The cars are insured after all!
BMW Stolen - Lud
Doesn't anyone have locks on their houses these days?

Surely when you hear someone breaking in downstairs you leap on them with a ball-peen hammer, Samurai sword or anything else to hand.

I can't imagine anyone getting to my bedside without being heard. And if they did they might get a very nasty surprise.
BMW Stolen - Altea Ego
And if they did they might get a very nasty surprise.

Yes. Lud in jim jams - < shudder >
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
BMW Stolen - Lud
Yes. Lud in jim jams - < shudder >

A lot worse than that TVM I assure you...

Yes AS, of course I do remember the Tony Martin case. Like others I felt a certain sympathy for him. But there were features about the case that led to his conviction. I won't go into them here because they will stir up controversy, but those who followed the case will know what I mean.

My guess is that a furious stark naked householder carrying some kind of weapon will cause most housebreakers to run for it. If they don't, then provided they aren't just murdered the courts and police will probably favour the householder.

However it is true that justice sometimes seems to be standing on its head.
BMW Stolen - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks Lud! The sight of ME with nothing on would reduce anybody to shrieks of helpless laughter! "Who ate all the pies?" and "What is THAT?" I will say no more re TM. I think the problem is that if someone is on your house with what appears to be a gun but he hasn't used it, if you bash him with a golf club YOU have assaulted him. It would almost certainly go to court with you on trial, Standing by for learned comment from PU and DVD
BMW Stolen - Armitage Shanks {p}
Lud, while I totally agree with your ideas re resisting or dealing with burglars, remember Tony Martin! In USA you can do almost anything to anybody who breaks into your house (Excellent) - in UK you can be done for assault for doing anything much more than touching some low-life in your house. It isn't right but it is the law of this grisly county we live in - Human Rights innit?
BMW Stolen - rtj70
Last year sometime, a neighbour was broken into in the early morning to get the keys to the car. The method of gaining entry to the house was a sledgehammer to the front door - so occupants definately alerted then. Burglars were weelding a machete amongst other weapons... don't think anything would stop them.

Couple of years ago, around the time my Golf was stolen (keys taken), more expensive cars were being stolen in the area with two method:

- Step out of house and gun pointed at your head and asked for keys
- You stop at a junction and a gun pointed at your head and told to get out

Now I live in a nice area, expensive houses, lots of flash cars... and that's what brings the criminals. And also why I do not have a flash car.
BMW Stolen - SpamCan61 {P}
dealing with some local gangster
>> that it would be a mistake to deal with...
NO gangster of fear would drive a BMW 1 series.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

Gangster's 'Moll'' might though?
BMW Stolen - Saltrampen
So what do "trainee gangsters" drive..they do not want to show up the boss so they?
Maybe a Golf or Audi A3 ? Or is it rated by bling factor?
Sensibly I guess the OP will probably get a tracker system for any more expensive cars.

BMW Stolen - Dalglish
had my BMW 330 coupe Sport stolen from my home Friday 6th am.
The most annoying this was I spent £300 on new rear tyres and MOT the day before as I had just sold it.

is it unusual to buy new tyres and get new mot just the day before you sell?

if it was sold, then it was no longer yours. so no worries!

BMW Stolen - Dalglish
oh yes, and maybe it would have been useful to give the car's registration number for us to look out for it.

but then it won't surprise me if steveivs42 never makes another appearance on this site.

BMW Stolen - steveivs42
I doubt if its original number plate RV2NVX is anywhere in sight of that car. Most probably been cloned. yes, i am making another appearance
BMW Stolen - Dalglish
yes, i am making another appearance

good that you proved me wrong. but it would not have surprised me if you had not.

1.anyway, so tell us how/where the thieves managed tog et hold of the keys?
2. did they break in to your house/premises while you were in/out?
3. if you had sold the car, is it not for the new owner's to worry about it?
4. and as a trader, do you take any precaustions against such potential thefts?
5. and is there not any "viewer" that in hindsight you think might have been doing a reccy?

BMW Stolen - steveivs42
RV52NVX
BMW Stolen - steveivs42
I'm a Motor Trader and as a result of selling the car, I was duly doing my part and making sure that the new owner had a new MOT which resulted in 2 new tyres, so £300 chucked away!!
BMW Stolen - Big Bad Dave
Do as I did and move into a gated community patrolled by walking muscle squeezed (just about) into smart uniforms topped off with metal toe capped boots.

Then you can, if you wish, leave your car unlocked, your garage open, your ipod and satnat on display and your keys hanging on a coathook in the hall, exactly where you know where to find them.

It's the way forward.
BMW Stolen - David Horn
Someone broke into my house a few weeks ago. I was out but the alarm was triggered, and the police arrived within about 90 seconds, about 60 seconds after I got home. I got there before them and assumed it was a glitch, until I opened the front door and realised the internal doors were open, and there was a scuffling noise from upstairs.

I would like to say that I grabbed a heavy implement and charged up to finish the little pink fluffy dice off, but discretion took control and I legged it to the safety of the road to wait for the police who were just pulling up.
BMW Stolen - Lud
We're all agog, DH. What happened then? Did it turn out to be a relation using a spare key to look for something?

I must say I find the sledgehammer/machete story (above) a bit surprising. I know that's what they do in remote African villages with no plod, but I wd imagine that sort of desperado stuff soon gets you caught here.

A friend who used to live in a remote African village had a single-shot 12-bore pistol that had been cobbled up by the local mechanic for just such occasions. I asked if he had ever fired it, and he said no, but it had been test-fired by its maker. It was so constructed that even if it burst it wouldn't take your whole hand off, but I don't think I would have wanted to fire it except under very extreme circumstances.
BMW Stolen - rtj70
I assume when cars like these (even my Golf GTi1.8T) get stolen they either get broken or go overseas. My Golf for instance must have been pretty unique as it had air-con and sunroof, CD-autochanger, cruise control (! not so common on GTis in 1999) and the seats were black/blue instead of the standard red/black. They could not ring it easily but maybe sell onto someone dodgey?

My Mondeo on the other hand was almost certainly cloned and an attempt made to get the other car fixed via Leaseplan! Police tried to setup a sting operation by trying to get in touch with them but nothing came of it. But if I got caught speeding down south it would have been tempting to cheat as the officer told me to send in any parking or speeding tickets for the cloned vehicle :-)
BMW Stolen - rtj70
Not motoring related but on the same subject....

When at Uni living in Chorlton cum Hardy we used the attic room to lock all the TVs, computers, etc. away over Christmas. We get back and get the room unlocked by the landlord (might have been his son) and get our things out. Go to the pub and come back and robbed... hmm odd that we get robbed the day we all get back.

They didn't get everything and despite the police saying to use silicon putty when replacing glass in the patio door, landlord chooses to ignore advice. A week later when we're in they come back for the rest of the stuff! I felt a draft sat on the floor and foolishly/naively went to the top of the landing and heard someone coming upstairs but they then all legged it!

If the house was being watched then lights on, going on-and-off, etc. so they were either brave, stupid (probably) or both!

Now a warning to anyone in the USA thinking "shoot the blighters" when they come in.... you have to wait until they are inside the property far enough before shooting. If they fall out of a window you're in trouble. If they lose balance and fall inside you're okay, at least in Pennsylvania :-) Person that told me that was scarey at times especially when we got him drunk (he went "hunting"). At Uni in Penn State USA he had a shotgun and an AK-47 under his bed in the dorms. Bless.
BMW Stolen - madf
I have a pathalogical fear of burglars and expect they will be armed.. and have a cricket bat (old, worn down) for such intrusions.
So far I've never had to use it....
madf
BMW Stolen - PoloGirl
>My mate's series 1 newish BMW

Perhaps it was the self appointed fighters against bad taste in motors. ;)
BMW Stolen - Lud
self appointed fighters against bad taste in motors. ;)

This is dangerous stuff PG. If that sort of thing started there wouldn't be a vehicle in the world safe from molestation.

You may think it's a question of proportion, detailing, proper aesthetics, and that pretty and ugly cars are objectively obvious.

Not so. I cite numerous threads here in support of the claim that everything is hated by someone.
BMW Stolen - Happy Blue!
>>>>Not so. I cite numerous threads here in support of the claim that everything is hated by someone. ...

Hmmm not so sure.

I reckon no-one hates Subarus........~:-0

unless you're baiting me!
BMW Stolen - Big Bad Dave
"I reckon no-one hates Subarus..."

Those vulgar blue things with (blurgh) gold wheels and that (shudder) subtle boot spoiler? Sorry Espada.

If there's a car that nobody hates I reckon you'ld have to go classic. A Sweeny Granada maybe.
BMW Stolen - cheddar
"I reckon no-one hates Subarus..."
Those vulgar blue things with (blurgh) gold wheels and that (shudder) subtle boot spoiler? Sorry
Espada.

I have to agree!
BMW Stolen - ziggy
I would put it the other way around: an expensive car is lke an advertisement to get burgled. Doesn't matter if the keys are left at home or not.

Still I never leave car keys at home. But then I have the pain of a problem of always walking around with 2 over-sized keys.
BMW Stolen - jc2
TRACKER? Has anyone had experience of this system or similar?
BMW Stolen - eProf
TRACKER? Has anyone had experience of this system or similar?

My son in South Africa has been very impressed with their service after two of his trucks were stolen - sorry - assets re-allocated. They were recovered within almost minutes of being reported as missing. Maybe Ian in Cape Town has some thoughts?

--
e Prôf - Another Recycled Teenager
BMW Stolen - Ian (Cape Town)
Most cars above a certain price have to have tracker system fitted for insuarnce purposes.
If the car/truck gets nicked, and the system is activated, the thing starts screaming like a banshee - electronically - and can be picked up by police vehicles or helicopters equipped with the proper equipment.
Activation can happen 2 ways - either the owner can cal in to the network, and tell them the car's gone, and they can activate remotely, or the system on the vehicle will have an anti-tamper which sets it off.
The vermin who steal and hijack cars and trucks tend to get clever - nick car, drive to local carpark (shopping centres with covered parking and hotels are favourite) and leave the car.
Come back a few days later and if the car is still in place, then it is 'safe' to transport further.
The fitting is also bizarre - they come to you, take your vehicle away, and bring it back later - you don't know (and they won't tell you! - where the magic box (size of a matchbox) actually is!
This is so you can't be forced by threats to reveal the location, should you get attacked by the vermin.
It is fitted with a battery, so tops up from whatever power supply wire they plumb it into. BUT it only draws power when the car is running, so you can't run a meter over the fuses and see where the 'draw' is...
Unfortunately MB and BMW are having problems with the trackers, as they say the fitment intereferes with the vehicles' electronic self-analysis. BMW wants to fit the devices themsleves, which for obvious reasons the tracking companies DON'T want, as it is a security risk (see above).

BMW Stolen - eProf
Thanks, Ian, for your reply about Tracker! I was particularly intrigued about how thw box gets its power - now I know and so will my son. One other of his trucks got stolen and the box had been taken out which then needed the disbursement of the R200 Certificates of Police Co-operation before it was recovered!

--
e Prôf - Another Recycled Teenager
BMW Stolen - barney100
A bloke near me had a good burglar deterrent, a rather mean looking Alsation in residence and a sticker on his front door depicting said animal with ''come on in, make my day'' written on it.