Speeding - mixed messages - gmac
No wonder UK motorists are confused with regard to speeding in towns.
I read, quite frequently, of people being caught doing between 5 and 10mph over the limit and getting points on their license. Statistics seem to show most people gain points on their license while being less than 10mph over the limit.

Yet this weekend I have witnessed the most blatant speeding and what will the authorities do ? Nothing. They have actively encouraged 189 foreign cyclists to London and Kent and actively encouraged them to ride with total disregard to the speed limit for financial reward.

Speeds in excess of 50mph have been witnessed in Canterbury centre this afternoon with total disregard to the two second rule and braking distances have gone out of the window. There was a pile up in a Kent lane less than 20 miles from Canterbury centre. Will the police study video evidence and prosecute the guilty party for riding without due care and attention ?

No wonder the motorist feels persecuted !

The above was written tongue in cheek before we get any Victor Meldrews on here...

{ Posts merged - don't let this degenerate otherwise.... PU}
Speeding - mixed messages - oilrag
How about riding 2 abreast?

Nearly 50 years ago my mate and me as innocent law abiding 10 year olds got pulled by plod for just that, on a quiet country lane with no cars around.

( imagine one of those black old police cars with the bell on)

I think it was an inspector on his way somewhere with time to kill...
Plod " you cant ride 2 abreast" bla bla....Me, " what about *you* overtaking us, thats 3 abreast"

Didnt go down well as can be imagined, he blustered a bit, got back into his `Squad car` and hopefully went off to look for other more severe examples of civil disobedience.

I remember this with some amusement, but mainly nostalgia, that a Police Inspector saw this as an incident worth stopping for, even in 1957.
My mate though took the telling off ( and being towered over ) rather badly and slightly wet himself with fear.

To scale this response up proportionally from our experience in 1957 to now, to the tour Cyclists blasting around at 50 MPH ( 6 abreast :) , It would need the Army and a division of tanks.

Written with warmth and humour, with respect to everyone.

Regards

Speeding - mixed messages - Orson {P}
I love the understatement of "slightly" wet himself!!
--
Career: (n) Job, profession.
(v) Downhill, rapidly, out of control.
Speeding - mixed messages - oilrag
Just off your patch Orson :)

On the country lane between Walton and Crofton in West Yorkshire ( Or the West riding, as it was then:)

Regards