Read on, MkV Golf owners - PoloGirl
I picked Gunther up from his first service today. While he was in, I had asked them to look at a slight stutter on accelerating, mainly through second gear.

Apparently there is an ECU update for the tdi, to correct what they called 'rough running'. This has now been done to my car, and it's like driving a totally different car! It's much smoother, and much quieter.

I wouldn't have believed one small tweak to a computer could make such a difference, but I definitely love Gunther again now!

Read on, 06ish Golf owners - OldHand
The update is for all MKV Golfs with forced induction ie petrol and diesel. Some people are reporting their car has much more power and better economy afterwards.
Read on, 06ish Golf owners - PoloGirl
>Some people are reporting their car has much more power and better economy afterwards.

Yep, that too. It's amazing!
Read on, 06ish Golf owners - Jason
The update is for all MKV Golfs with forced induction ie petrol and diesel.

Does this mean all Golfs then?.......I have a 2007 1.9TDI (105ps).
Read on, 06ish Golf owners - Lud
Sorry to carp, Golf owners, but forced induction is supercharging by turbo or crankshaft-driven compressor.

The chip is for all cars with fuel injection perhaps (as they all are nowadays).
Read on, 06ish Golf owners - Lud
Sorry, forgot that diesels are all forced induction these days. Covered in shame.
Read on, 06ish Golf owners - Avant
Now this is interesting.

I've recently tried two separate VAG cars with DSG, a Leon and a Golf, both 2.0 TDIs. The Leon was smooth and progressive, whereas the Golf (a Jetta, actually) was sluggish until the turbo came in at 2,000 rpm - just the thing I find so irritating about my Mercedes B200.

I know Gunther is a manual, but if the Jetta were unmodified in the way PG describes, that could account for the difference. One would hope that new 2007 VAGs (sounds like a German footballer's partner!!) would have had their ECUs updated - or is that too easy a conclusion?
Read on, 06ish Golf owners - PoloGirl
Normally on my way to work I get an average 44mpg ish. Yesterday it was more like an average of 54mpg. And it reckons I'm finally going to break the 600 mile barrier on this tank of diesel, instead of languishing around 520-540.

Sorry to keep harping on about it... ;)
Read on, 06ish Golf owners - quizman

You are right to keep mentioning how you have to have a car for a year before it goes properly.
The same thing happened to me with my wife's Focus. It was hopeless for the first year, at the first service I mentioned that it didn't go very well. Oh yes they said, there is a new chip upgrade.
I hadn't left the garage before I noticed the change for the better in the car.
I would like to know why the manufacturers either test their products properly, or recall the cars when they find out that they need a chip upgrade.

Let me see PoloGirl 19000 miles at 10 mpg less is 80 gallons, which is 364 litres @ 92p which is £335. Send the garage a bill and see what happens!

I am pleased that you now seem happy with Gunther, my wife wants a Golf, please keep us updated on his progress.