98 Mondeo. Cambelt tensioner failure. - henry k
Just collected my Mondeo from my trusted indie after a very near miss involving the engine.

I suddenly experience a tappet like sound from the cambelt end of the engine so off to the lads for some TLC

They found a cambelt tensioner in a very sorry state.
The plastic outer was totally split across its width with a 4mm gap displayed.
There was another split opposite that which was half way across the width.
The whole surface was badly scored so all in all a component that was a wisker from throwing the plastic rim totally off
I am surmising that the belt would have continued to work in some fashion and the damage to the engine would have been even worse than a cambelt snapping.

I bought the Mondeo at 83K and the paper work showed cambelt changed at 80K.
( the recommendation for the older engines rather than 100K for mine).

This failure was at 111K.

I wonder if at the 80K the tensioners were not changed ( as always recommended here) ?
I am feeling a little lucky and I know for certain that a good cambelt change has been done and it should last the life of the car in my hands.

98 Mondeo. Cambelt tensioner failure. - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Sounds like the belt was changed on the cheap without the guide rollers and modified tensioner.
Lucky man!
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
98 Mondeo. Cambelt tensioner failure. - stuartl
Sounds like the belt was changed on the cheap without the guide rollers and modified tensioner.

snipquote!

This sounds like the difference between fitting a cam belt and a cam belt kit. I rebuilt the top end of my Mondy and even so trusted the fitting of a new cam belt KIT to my superb mobile mechanic. If anyone needs a 101% honest mechanic in the Gloucestershire area then please call me!
98 Mondeo. Cambelt tensioner failure. - injection doc
I agree with andy & very lucky you were!. Sounds like someone did a cheap job which could of turned out very expensive
Thanks to all for your expert opinions that support my thoughts on a cambelt only cheap job.

>>The whole surface was badly scored so all in all a component that was a wisker from throwing the plastic rim totally off.

I had another gentle examination of the tensioner and the plastic outer just fell off.

So I really was a lucky fella to get away with it.

Any ideas what to tappet type noise was?
98 Mondeo. Cambelt tensioner failure. - topbloke
probably a valve "just" hitting the piston as the timeing would have been out due to the slack in the belt
98 Mondeo. Cambelt tensioner failure. - DP
When I bought my Mondy (indy dealer with workshop facilities), I haggled a belt change into the deal which I was told was done. After 6 months or so, the engine started making a whining / whirring noise from the cambelt end. When I took the cambelt covers off, there were newish looking QH belts there, but the tensioners were stamped Ford, and looked like they'd been on the engine since it was made. When I took the old belt off, there was a good 5mm of play on the tensioner bearings.

I can't believe people do such shoddy jobs. Where's their sense of professional pride above all else?

New belt kit fitted and no problems since. Could easily have written off the engine though.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
97 Ford Fiesta 1.4 16v Chicane (for sale)
98 Mondeo. Cambelt tensioner failure. - LHM
I can't believe people do such shoddy jobs. Where's their sense of professional pride above
all else?

The problem is exacerbated by many owners going to great lengths to 'shop around' for the lowest price possible (even by a fiver or so)........
98 Mondeo. Cambelt tensioner failure. - Lud
great lengths to 'shop around' for
the lowest price possible (even by a fiver or so)........

It is moronic to do that. Find your main dealer or indy and get them to do everything you don't do yourself. I thought everyone knew about tensioners (and sometimes water pumps) having to be changed with the belt.
>>DP said.....but the tensioners (his) were stamped Ford, and looked like they'd been on the engine since it was made.
>>I have just looked at the tensioner again.
It is NOT stamped Ford just "BRS." So perhaps it was changed at 80K and has failed after 30K.
>>
>>DP said....When I took the old belt off, there was a good 5mm of play on the tensioner bearings.
>>
The bearing off mine seems OK to me. It spins queitly and there is very little play in the bearing.
It is the plastic rim that has failed.

I feel sure my Idie would have shown me any other damage so I am now a little unsure of what actually happpened.
It appears that initially just the plastic rim failed for some reason and eventually split.
I do not understand what caused the plastic surface to get damaged like it did.
About an inch of the cicumference is smooth plastic ( which is what I would guess is normal).
The remainder is gouged and it appears to have melted but been deposited further round the cicumference on top of the normal smooth surface.
It is almost as if the tensioner had got jammed and stopped rotating and heat from the friction of the belt cooked the plastic.
If so, what would jam it but yet it now shows no sign of bearing slop?

All a little concerning! I have been content, to date, that the cambelts, tensioners etc. on these Ford engines are good for at least 100K.

98 Mondeo. Cambelt tensioner failure. - DP
All a little concerning! I have been content to date that the cambelts tensioners etc.
on these Ford engines are good for at least 100K.

I changed the cambelt on the Fiesta at 85k (Zetec engine with 100k interval) and the tensioner had play in the bearings. Nothing like as bad as I found on the Mondeo, and there were no noises from it in service, but would it have gone to 100k? I genuinely don't know.

It wouldn't be so bad if the manufacturers warrantied their claims on belts, but the car is usually well out of warranty by the time the first belt change is due, leaving owners high and dry if it fails.

The Mondeo's done 11,000 miles on its new belt kit (and new water pump) and I plan to replace the belts and tensioners again in another 20,000 miles if I keep the car that long. For 70 quid for a Gates kit, and half a day's work, it's worth the piece of mind. On the Endura diesel, belt failure is catastrophic, usually smashing the valves directly up through the head and tearing the cam out of its bearings. Ford can claim what they like on this engine (60k) but they won't be paying for any damage.

When all's said and done, it's great news you "got away with it" so to speak. That's the main thing!

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
97 Ford Fiesta 1.4 16v Chicane (for sale)
98 Mondeo. Cambelt tensioner failure. - stuartl
ON the earlier Mondy's you could tell if the tensioners were on the car from new as they didnt have the spring or the peg that the spring attaches to as they were factory tensioned