Celica v 406 Coupe - y2k+4
My Dad's currently considering the two above models. As he wants piece-of-mind he wants to buy from a main dealer and has found the following two cars available for around £8,000, he will be going for a test drive in each (though we've had a Celica in the family before):
Celica 1.8 VVti 51-reg, 35,000 miles. Blue.
Peugeot 406 2.2HDi Coupe 52-reg, 40,000 miles. Silver.
His main concerns are "character" (something he feels both my Focus mk2 TDCi, and his Almera lack), and running costs - he doesn't want to lose too much in depreciation over the next couple of years, and would probably favour the cheaper day-to-day costs of the HDi, but would it be much more likely to prove less reliable/more expensive in parts/servicing etc than the Toyota? The practicality isn't too mcuh of a concern, given the Mondeo and Focus will still be in the family...
Celica v 406 Coupe - Aprilia
No brainer - it has to be the Celica unless you're doing lots of miles and need the diesel economy. And of course an old Celica will always find a buyer...
Celica v 406 Coupe - nick
A French diesel versus a petrol Celica would seem a no-brainer to me but then I never did like Peugeots.
Celica v 406 Coupe - Vansboy
Has to be the Peugeot, such a fine looking - & rareish - car.

Just a pity it's silver!

Would score on sooo many plus factors for me!

Appearence, maintainence costs (assuming no nasty surprises), fuel, re-saleability, are all in it's favour!

VB
Celica v 406 Coupe - J Bonington Jagworth
"Just a pity it's silver!"

And a diesel. One of my colleagues has the V6 petrol and it goes (and sounds) very well, but I can't imagine it with an oil-burner, however good. In the circumstances, I'd have the Toyota.
Celica v 406 Coupe - The Purifier
Celica for me anyday. In my opinion, the 406 coupe is starting to look a little dated while the Celica still looks as fresh as it did when it came out in 99. Should be more reliable and relatively economical - should get around 35 mpg and will definitely hold it's value better than the 406
Celica v 406 Coupe - y2k+4
Thanks all, I will pass on the 3:1 verdict at this point! I must say, the Celica my Mum ran for 155,000 miles was exceptional, and in my opinion probably the better car - just looked on warranty direct to find it had a reliability index of 4 (which is VERY good). However, we've also had Peugeot's before which have all been reliable and Dad does like a nice soft ride (they regularly drive to Spain and the new car could take the place of the Mondeo on such a trip...). Am I correct in thinking the Peugeot tyres would be considerably cheaper than the Celica yokohamas? Is there likely to be any discernable difference in residual values?