Aygo - mscott
I'm in the middle of two weeks with a rented Toyota Aygo. The boot's a bit small, but then it's a small car. It's a bit tinny and noisy, but then it's a cheap car. The ride is as hard as nails, what's the point of that?
Aygo - Xileno {P}
I drove the Citroen version a while back and found the ride OK. I suppose it all depends on what you're used to as an everyday car.
Aygo - ForumNeedsModerating
So it 'andles innit! The common malady in many cars these days unfortunately - it's got to amuse motoring journalists by allowing them to drive in a wholly unrepresentative fashion, with brownie points for lift-off oversteer on the limit - absolutely vital in a city car you understand.

Aygo - Altea Ego
Its really hard to engineer a very small car to have a comfortable ride.

Small wheels, lack of weight, minimum suspension travel, lack of space for suspension bits

thats what made the 2CV so brilliant,

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Aygo - bell boy
yep the car has to do many things big or small as it has to elk out a living
Aygo - boxsterboy
Actually, TVM, 2CVs had big (15") wheels for their time, albeit very skinny tyres (ideal in snow), and long travel suspension. This long travels helps not just the suspension but the road holding (in an absorbent way - the tyres rarely leave the road) but it does cause the body to roll somewhat! But you're right about the light weight.
Aygo - Vansboy
Actually TVM 2CVs had big (15") wheels for their time albeit very skinny tyres

& they took ages top wear out!! Big wheels, light car, no boy racer starts n stops...

Didn't Michelin get a bit upset about this - or another old wives tale, maybe!!

VB
Aygo - Lud
>>
Didn't Michelin get a bit upset about this - or another old wives tale maybe!!
I'm sure they didn't. They developed the Michelin X in collaboration with Citroen, with the DS in mind, and immediately made a 2CV sized version.
Aygo - Tim Allcott
obviously passes the Moose test then....
--
Tim{P}
Aygo - P3t3r
I'm in the middle of two weeks with a rented Toyota Aygo. The boot's a
bit small but then it's a small car.

IMHO it's not small enough for a tiny boot. There are many cars smaller, but most (probably all of them) have bigger boots, eg. Panda, Charade, Matiz.
It's a bit tinny and noisy but then it's a cheap car.

It looks like a very cheap car to me, looks like they've saved every penny they can. The tailgate's a good example, a sheet of glass with a few bits glued to it, and a nasty hook sticking up which you are likely to hit, injurying yourself or damaging items going in the boot. The engine does make a slightly strange noise, and is very dull. However, dispite it looking like a cheap car, it's not really a cheap car. It starts at almost £7000, and for less than that you can get a Panda, KA, Picanto, and probably a number of other cars.
The ride is as hard as nails what's the point of that?

I remember feeling a little sick on a bumpy road in the Aygo, but when you get to a corner it feels like the thing is going to roll over. IIRC it was too bouncy, not hard.

I wanted one of these when I read the reviews, but was a little put off when I saw it close up. After a test drive there was no way I would buy one, it was horrible.
Aygo - oilrag
I test drove one and the back end hopped out a bit on a bumpy country road,this seemed due to the firm suspension set up.
It seemed quite flimsy overall, in particular under the bonnet, the components around the engine and the tailgate.

My overall impression was that it seemed `sub car` somewhere between a Panda and a quadrocycle such as an Axiam 500.

Certainly a Panda road tested the next day, seemed much more robust with a bigger car feel to its handling.
Aygo - lordwoody
From some of the comments above I'm not sure I recognise my wifes car, as she's leasing one at the moment. It certainly doesn't feel like a 'sub-car', whatever that might be! You do get some ridiculous comments on this site! Ours was bought to give us trouble free cheap motoring and we've been very pleased with it after 6 months use. Initially the suspension did seem a little hard but we've got used to it entirely. Going back to my Saab 9-5 feels like driving an old sofa. I'd previously read some comment from someone who'd driven one who claimed he'd been terrified cornering in it for some reason, I can't possibly think why, it corners fine and there's the undeniable satisfaction of £35 per year road tax and minimal fuel costs. The boots is tiny admittedly, but we do a weekly family supermarket shop in ours and what won't go in the boot goes on the floor in the back ( we have the 5 door) I don't know what 'looks flimsy under the bonnet' means, as I said there is a lot of rubbish talked on here by 'experts'. `There is a sub-culture on here of knocking products with very little knowledge of the product itself. We really like the Aygo and in fact tend to use it instead of the Saab for everyday use. ( and no doubt someone will be along soon to tel me that's because Saabs are rubbish too!)
Aygo - lordwoody
As an afterthough I checked out HJ's Car by car breakdown section on the Aygo.......'Gear ratios and handling as faultless as they can be for this kind of car. Good fun to drive as well as cheap to run.....RECOMMENDED' Oh, but I forgot, he's not an 'expert' like you.
Aygo - Bill Payer
It starts at almost £7000 and for less than that
you can get a Panda KA Picanto and probably a number of other cars.

Aygo, presumeably becuase it wears a Toyota badge, does look a bit expensive. However the Citroen C1 is often well under £6K, and our local dealer was advertising no deposit, £99/mth PCP deals recently, which has to be a very cheap way of getting into a brand-new car.
Aygo - ForumNeedsModerating
>>..thats what made the 2CV so brilliant,

Indeed it did - I remember being driven in one (..and having the odd go myself) in the 70's - it just never seemed to give up on corners, just rolled to an even more extreme angle - fantastically comfortable, canvassy seats and all. Although the 602cc engine seemed almost pointless, it never seemed unable to cope - even 4-5 up. The canvas 'sunroof' was also brilliant - with the window flaps(?) down too, it was like being in a convertible. I hear Citroen are thinking of a new version - can't wait for that.
Aygo - GeeTee
Had a107 for 6 months now as second car and very pleased with it Very surprised at the value for money including cheap tax and insurance. Only complaint is the hard ride, but can live with it.I would recommend it for town and short journeys to anyone wanting an economical runabout