Fiesta mk3 exhaust query - milkyjoe
yesterday when i removed the sump i had to drop the exhaust pipe off the manifold for access, i undid the 3 bolts holding it together and when i parted the join there was no gasket or anything in fact , should there be something there? it doesnt blow or run noisy at all but i did notice that when you cover the ex/pipe end with my hand it doesnt build up pressure in the pipe when the engines running...thanks

Missing MK. sorted MJ - other post will be deleted PU
Fiesta mk3 exhaust query - mfarrow
There should be a metal plate between the joining faces IIRC, which acts as the gasket.

If the bolts are up tight I wouldn't worry about it, but get someone to see what's blowing when you cover the exhaust.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Fiesta mk3 exhaust query - bell boy
dont they have a ring that gets squashed into the downpipe?
anyway lots of gobbo gum and job dun
you should congratulate yourself milky that all bolts came out
thanks bb, when i looked at them i thought " they look well rusty" but using all the extensions and the knuckle joint in my socket set i managed to get in and still be clear of the bottom of the radiator, came undone piece of cake for some reason
Fiesta mk3 exhaust query - mfarrow
dont they have a ring that gets squashed into the downpipe?

That's where the downpipe meets the silencers under the car. At the downpipe/manifold interface (which milkyjoe was undoing) there is nothing but a metal gasket by design.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Fiesta mk3 exhaust query - jc2
Should have a gasket;also a smear of anti-sieze/copper grease on the studs when you put it back together.
Fiesta mk3 exhaust query - madf
Having replaced this on my son's car, there is indeed a gasket.
madf
rebuilt the car, timing chain was a bit of an enigma , but sussed the timing alignment with a dob of white paint on the crank sprocket i couldent remove (bummer) still got it all in a line (timing dots) put the timing cover on (new gasket held it place with some clear gasket gunk) then the fun started trying to offer up the sump with greasy hands and putting a bolt in to start got there in the end with SWMBO lending a digit.....good news it fired up first time , i ve now gotta install the alternator no big deal, im just glad i did it really
my main job is to build walls ,any one want any tips on flemish bond?