VW Golf Mk4 water ingress problem - twin_peeks
Have had a problem with water ingress in the back passenger side footwell for the past year or so. In March I took it to my local VW dealer who diagnosed the probelm as being faulty seal for the backlights (not standard VW issue). This was fixed and I thought that was the end until the recent heavy rains when I found parts of my car heavily water logged and remaining rainwater dripping through the mainframe. I spoke with VW who confirmed it would be a £94 fee for them to look at it to diagnose.

Can anyone help? I don't want to waste anymore money at VW as it seems that whatever checks they are doing are not through enough and I can't risk paying out more money for what now seems like temporary repairs.

Thanks.
VW Golf Mk4 water ingress problem - stuartl
It's almost certainly the pollen filter gasket, a well known VW failure. In the case of the passat there are some very expensive elctrical items under the front passenger seat so water is a big no no. get it dry (use a vax or aquavac) asap and llok up other postings on here re the pollen filter,

Good Luck

Stuart
VW Golf Mk4 water ingress problem - Rhubarb
Hi If the water is definitely only in the back of the car, the two things I'd check are: the membranes under the door trims (has someone had the trim off to fit speakers?) and the feed pipe to the rear washer jet. These are both reasonably common problems. If the water IS in the front, the pollen filter housing is favorite as stuartl pointed out. Have a look in the MkIV section here: uk-mkivs.net/forums/Default.aspx .
VW Golf Mk4 water ingress problem - stuartl
In the Passat, there are ducts that direct the water straight into the rear footwells, not sure if it is the same in the Golf
VW Golf Mk4 water ingress problem - Rhubarb
Mind you, it could still be coming in around the light unit ;-)
VW Golf Mk4 water ingress problem - Bill Payer
My FIL's A6 was wet in the rear footwell and that turned out to be a blocked scuttle (where the heater air intake is) drain. Very common A6 problem (the drain is under the battery).

The water was running under the carpet in the front and only showing itself in the back. It wrecked his auto-box ECU which is under the front passenger seat.