Which Oil? Synthetic/Semi or Min - Carl
Can all cars run on synthetic?

Is synthetic the best choice for all cars? with semi being a compromise? or does it depend on the cars age?

Are the claims in other threads about some synthetics being too thin true?

Is there any benefit of using a higher grade oil (such as mobil1 etc) such as reduced wear, improved MPG etc?

For what age cars would fully syntheic be recommends, age for semi, and when would old fashioned mineral be prefered.
Re: Which Oil? Synthetic/Semi or Min - Buscy
Take a look in your local Halfords. They have a very useful display above their oil section. Its colour coded and tells which oil to buy for which type/age of vehicle.
Re: Which Oil? Synthetic/Semi or Min - Dave
I'm no expert but my view is use mineral and change more frequently.
Re: Which Oil? Synthetic/Semi or Min - J Bonington Jagworth
I agree - frequent changes are more important than type of oil. They carry a lot of debris, not all of which gets filtered, so it doesn't matter how advanced or expensive the oil, you can't just leave it in and expect it to go on working.

I think the chief advantage of the newer oils is that they provide the necessary lubrication at lower viscosities, which is generally a Good Thing, as the throughput (and cooling) increases and there is less drag. Consumption goes up, of course...
Re: Which Oil? Synthetic/Semi or Min - Brian Hosker
I changed to Mobile 1 at 57000 miles. 5/40 then 0/40. Started using Amsoil 0/30 at 110000 miles with their double filtration system. Instead of changing the oil, sending a sample to the laboratory for £10 analysis. Then comparing to origonal unused oil every 6 months, extending depending on the results. Having read all HJ's books, this web site and Skiorski's 'Drive it for ever', I can see the real dangers of contamination and cold starts. To help further on this I have installed Kenlow Hot Start and LP Gas conversion. SWMBO thinks I am mad and it is OTT. I just like experimenting. I worry about the box sections now, so the next toy is a compressor. Oh yes, oil consumption as remained about the same at 6000 miles per litre at 142000 miles. New to 57000 miles it was main dealer serviced every 6 months, and then every 6 months to October 2001. This is the first time over 6 months. Will this work!!!?
Re: Which Oil? Synthetic/Semi or Min - JohnD
Hi Carl - On some of the practical forums it has been said that older engines have started using huge quantities of oil when switching to synthetic. For myself, I prefer to use a semi-synthetic oil in our diesels, changed at no more than 6000 miles.
Re: Which Oil? Synthetic/Semi or Min - Marc
I've heard that there is no point making the switch to fully synethic unless the engine has used the stuff since new/nearly new.

I think you should use semi synthetic for modern injection engines and mineral for older carb or high mileage cars esp classics. But I may be generalising here
Re: Which Oil? Synthetic/Semi or Min - bob
we have used mobil 1 (0/40w) on our 1995, 1.6 primera for the past three years. Oil is changed annually at around 6000 miles. Oil consumption between changes is nil. No leaks. Oil pressure light extinguishes within a second or two even on the coldest of winter days and is probably the most notcieable difference to mineral oil, that and the fact that the engine spins over on the starter motor at normal speeds on cold winter days. So less strain on the starter motor and quicker circulation of oil to the moving parts with thin synthetic oil. Whether Mobil1 is beter than other synthetics, I do not know, but I will not use anything less than synthetic nowadays.
Re: Which Oil? Synthetic/Semi or Min - Jud
Ive booked my A4 in for a service i got two prices from local dealers both within three pounds of each other , the cheapest quote said they use SL fully synthetic ,the dearer quote was using semi synthetic.
Both would be ok but i thought why not go for the "better" oil? Has anyone heard of SL? And will using full sythetic increase consumption?
I used a litre of oil during the first 10k but none for the last 5k.
Re: Which Oil? Synthetic/Semi or Min - John S
Jud

Castrol SLX fully synthetic? 0-30 grade I believe.

regards

john
Re: Which Oil? Synthetic/Semi or Min - Jud
I can't be more specific than he called it SL he didn't mention a make i assumed it was a VAG supplied oil , and i did ask him three times that it was definitely fully synthetic