Megane starting problem - stressed
I have a Megane 2001 1.6 petrol 64000 miles that is not starting first time unless it has been stood for a while ,sometimes it takes up to 20 turns to start .It seems to be getting worse.Any helpfull advice from any body would be welcome.
megane starting problem - Lud
Don't know the car, but people seem to think spark plugs last for ever these days... how old are they?

My Ford had worse hot starting when it needed plugs.
megane starting problem - Screwloose
stressed

My first thought would be the crank position sensor.
megane starting problem - bell boy
my first thought is unprintable
after that
crank senser
dodgy coils
worn out sparky plugs

i assume its been serviced since this fine automobile was purchased?
megane starting problem - stressed
yes it is serviced every 9 month ,plugs ,fillters,oil
megane starting problem - mph_turbo
My other half has a 1999 1.4 16V Megane that had this problem. It would start fine when totally cold but it would require numerous attempts to start when partially warm.

As suggested by Screwloose, it was the crank position sensor that was at fault in our case. Once this was replaced, the car has been starting perfectly ever since.
megane starting problem - Peter D
When it does start after lots of cranking does it start cleanly without sluttering and stinking of fuel. ?? IF it starts as though nothing had happend then the Crank Position Sensor could well be the proplem as a low cranking signal does not inject any fuel or HT but as soon as the eECU sees the sensor signal the engine just burst cleanly into life. Regards Peter
megane starting problem - Xileno {P}
My money's on the crank position sensor as well - not an uncommon problem. I've seen some where the quality of the wiring is quite brittle on Renaults.
megane starting problem - stressed
thanks for your reply xileno.

yes peter when it does start there is no smell of fuel or engine stutter.thanks for that

looks like i will be changing the crank position sensor, heers hoping.Thanks mph-turbo.

thanks for your time screwloose.

{Four replies merged into the one post to make tidier - DD}