Fiat panda gearbox oil change - Dr Smith
I wish to change the gearbox oil in my 3 year old fiat panda. I can't seem to find a drain plug. Does this require a drain via the fill plug?
Any suggestions welcome. Dr S.
Fiat panda gearbox oil change - biggz
Hello Dr SMith,
There should be at least one drain plug on your panda gearbox, although you dont state if its manual or auto and what engine it is, the oil should not need changing at 3 years, are you having problems???
If you can give me some more details I may be able to supply you a drawing showing the drain plug, they are normally near the bell housing on these gboxes

Biggz

Fiat panda gearbox oil change - Dr Smith
Dear Biggz,

Many thanks for the offer of advice. Sorry to be slow to reply! It is a manual gearbox and the engine is a 1.2 petrol. Engine type 188A4000 and the car was registered in May 2004.
The oil change is precautionary, its running fine. After 17,000 I can't beleive there is not some running-in swarf floating about!

Best, Ian
Fiat panda gearbox oil change - piggy
I recently had this problem with my Coupe. I could see the bottom plug all right,but there is not enough space to get it undone! My solution was to suck the "old" oil out with a small electric drill mounted pump. Try to avoid getting oil on your skin or clothes though;it is vile stuff.
Fiat panda gearbox oil change - piggy
Sorry, I forgot to mention to undo the top plug for this operation.They are easy to get to as a rule.
Fiat panda gearbox oil change - Collos25
Firstly it does not need to changed but if you do go through the pointless exercise make sure you fill it with the correct amount and do not fill it to the level of the filler plug.
Fiat panda gearbox oil change - oilrag
Danger of getting a particle of grit in, outweighs any advantage IMHO.

Fiat panda gearbox oil change - jc2
Swarf won't float;it'll sink.
Fiat panda gearbox oil change - Lud
And if it's steel swarf it should cling to the magnetic drain plug, or don't they have those any more?
Fiat panda gearbox oil change - jc2
No.
Fiat panda gearbox oil change - Another John H
>>.....make sure you fill it with the correct amount and do not fill it
to the level of the filler plug.

??

IMHO with a FIAT manual gearbox you fill until it just dribbles out of the filler hole when it's standing on level ground.

Regarding ferrous swarf - the few gear box drain plugs I've had out have a magnet in the centre - but I couldn't argue about the latest series of Panda.

Standard FIAT drain/filler fitting is a 12mm hexagon bar - generally incredibly tight, likley to loosen with a "click".
Fiat panda gearbox oil change - Collos25
IMHO with a FIAT manual gearbox you fill until it just dribbles out of the filler hole when it's standing on level ground.
Thats what meant check the reqired level first,I am not so sure that all Fiat boxes are filled to the filler plug the six speed with atm oil have a specific amount like Renault well below the filler plug thats why they sell dip sticks for them.