breakerless ignition - porsche 924 - esky365
Hi

My porsche runs on contact breakers and i wondered if we can still buy conversion kits for breakerless ignition. If so, any ideas?

thanks

Steve
breakerless ignition - porsche 924 - nick
I'm sure you can. Look out for ads in the classic car press. I think Lumenition are still going. Might be worth a google.
breakerless ignition - porsche 924 - milkyjoe
sorry, but im very interested as to how one would convert a breaker to breakerless ignition, would there be a crank sensor to fit? or would it run off the distributor shaft? i really would like to know from the experts on this site
breakerless ignition - porsche 924 - Lud
Had Lumenition on a Skoda 136 (fitted when I bought it). It was inside the ordinary distributor, some sort of optical thingy with a 4-bladed shutter instead of the contact breaker... Of course there was a box on the side of the engine compartment too.

Worked very well, and made the plugs last longer too.
breakerless ignition - porsche 924 - bell boy
i think they were basically a reed senser but used in the more modern way of using it as in the hall effect,the flux is measured for every different reed as in 4 for a 4 cylinder 6 for a 6 cylinder etc
obviously this is then converted to be used in the capacitance discharge for the coil so that the plugs can make use of it

hope that helps milkyjoe.:-)
breakerless ignition - porsche 924 - AN Other
I'd try these guys:

www.pertronix.com/

Do kits for most cars, and have a good reputation. Plenty of uk distributors (ha ha) as well.
breakerless ignition - porsche 924 - Number_Cruncher
If the Porsche 924 has a standard type of Bosch distributor, I'm sure it should be quite easy to find an equivalent Bosch Hall effect distributor which you can use. In a similar way, it's quite easy to update early Vauxhall OHC engines with points as fitted to, say MKI Astras, to the later spec of electronic ignition distributor as fitted to later Vauxhalls. You will also need the appropriate coil and igntion amplifier. You might also have to modify any existing ballast resistor set-up.

I wouldn't both with any aftermarket electronic ignitions, when it should be so painless and easy to use proper Bosch parts.

Number_Cruncher