Cheap Mercs - Ubi
Looking around established internet outlets it's perfectly possible to get an 06 06, low mileage, high spec E Class Mercedes 280 for £20k. Seems unusually cheap for cars of this brand. I haven't for example, been able to find any comparable Audi A6s.

What's the explanation for these Mercs losing so much of their value so quickly ?
Cheap Mercs - rjr
The E-Class was facelifted mid way through last year so any pre-facelift stock would have been discounted or pre-registered. This could have resulted in much more cars hitting the market than normal and depressing used values. In addition the introduction of a facelift model will make pre-facelift models less desirable.
Cheap Mercs - Ubi
But there's nothing inherently wrong with the model, is that right ?
Cheap Mercs - rjr
Pre-facelift models have the electronic SBC braking system which has been problematic. This was replaced with a conventional hydraulic braking system on the facelift car. Early models had electrical problems. I ran an 05 model E220 for 12,000 miles and only had one problem - a airbag warning message which proved to be false.
Cheap Mercs - boxsterboy
I ran a late straight-6 E320 CDI which also had an airbag light problem in the first month - wiring mod needed in the steering wheel. The SBC was fine, and very effective. It's a shame the early ones were unreliable and Merc chose to go backwards for the facelift.
Cheap Mercs - Ubi
How does the braking problem manifest itself ?