Smokers and Rubbish - bhoy wonder
Can any of you any back roomers who smoke please tell me why most smokers think that it is ok to toss your butt ends out of your car windows. As far as I am aware all cars still come with ashtrays. Do smokers go home at night have a cig open your window and toss them out into the street. I only ask as on the way home tonight I counted 15 cars that tossed their butt ends out of their windows. It really annoys me as does people who toss rubbish out of their cars. Its disgusting!!!!!!!!!

Is there a valid reason why smokers do this?
Smokers and Rubbish - Altea Ego
Can any of you any back roomers who smoke please tell me why most smokers
think that it is ok to toss your butt ends out of your car windows.

COs they mess up the interior
As far as I am aware all cars still come with ashtrays.

Nope a lot of new cars come without ashtrays unless ordered as an option

>>Do smokers go home at night have a cig open your window and toss them out into the
street.

Sometimes But donw south we dont live "on the street" only poor northern folk do that.

>>I only ask as on the way home tonight I counted 15 cars that
tossed their butt ends out of their windows. It really annoys me as does people
who toss rubbish out of their cars. Its disgusting!!!!!!!!!

See answer 1 above

I am BTW a reformed smoker of some two years last month. Still a defender of the faith tho.
wont be long before thy have road blocks to round up smokers. Now a persecuted minority that will shortly be taken under the wing of the CRE and given protection.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Smokers and Rubbish - L'escargot
wont be long before thy have road blocks to round up smokers.

Thee think? ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Smokers and Rubbish - stevied
I agree with all of your comments so I will resist the urge to respond to your comments about Northerners! : )

Smokers and Rubbish - 1066
of all things to get stressed about i don't think this is one of them. that's why i pay my tax so the street cleaners can come along and clean.
Smokers and Rubbish - ForumNeedsModerating

No possible valid reason at all, ever. So that's answered that, so I declare this thread closed.

{nice one, woodbines - ed.}
Smokers and Rubbish - Dalglish
.. toss your butt ends ..

should that not be "fag ends" ?
Smokers and Rubbish - rover 75
If you ride a bike fag ends are only one of many things to be avoided , I recently had a full nappy aimed in my direction .
No definitely, butt ends for buttheads ; )
Smokers and Rubbish - DP
I had the half finished contents of a McDonald's milkshake splattered all over the bonnet and windscreen of the Mondeo on the M3 once. Fag butts are nothing in comparison.

Cheers
DP
Smokers and Rubbish - Pugugly {P}
When we were kids my Sis could vomit (on demand) on particular cars of choice as we passed. Now that was something.
Chocolate or strawberry?

Question applies both to both PU and DP I suppose!
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Smokers and Rubbish - Aprilia
Quite often around office buildings you will see an area where smokers congregate. Usually this area is defined by scores of discarded fag ends that will occasionally be swept up. I guess if people don't care about polluting their bodies through this addiction then they're not going to be too bothered about keeping the streets clean. British people, on the whole, are not particularly clean though. If a German, Swiss, Austrian copper sees you throwing *anything* out of the car then at the least you would be pulled over and face a stiff talking to. Possibly face a fine for littering.
Smokers and Rubbish - Robin Reliant
We smokers are providing a valuable public service. We keep fuel prices down by paying about 90% tax on every pack and we allow the self-righteous to sit smugly on their high horses as they tut-tut.
--
Smokers and Rubbish - mk124
I share the OP's views.

Today I was temped to walk up to a car (with window still open) and throw the still lighted cigarett back into the car, whence it came. Somehow I think I would get done for arson are some such. GRRRRRR

-----------------------------------------------

Torque means nothing without RPM
We smokers are providing a valuable public service. We keep fuel prices down by paying
about 90% tax on every pack and we allow the self-righteous to sit smugly on
their high horses as they tut-tut.
--

You also tend to die early - thus saving the country a small fortune in pensions - although the last few months of life can cost the NHS a bob or two!
Smokers and Rubbish - PhilW
"scores of discarded fag ends that will occasionally be swept up."

Which is more than can be said for all the chewing gum that self-righteous non-smokers (if you can generalise, so can I) spit out all over the place to decorate our streets, tables, chairs, carpets, and eventually trousers, etc permanently.
I shall now go and stand in the garden, have a little cigar and put the butt in my "butts out" container which I shall later empty into my dustbin. I don't smoke anywhere indoors or in the car - but I don't have any greenfly in my greenhouse!!
--
Phil
Smokers and Rubbish - Vansboy
Not sure I'd do it now, but a few years back, while waiting at level crossing, behind a shiny Mercedes, driver decided hed best empty his ashtray onto the road.

Thought about it a split second, got out, picked up a handfull of the deposited contents & passed it back through his window, onto his lap. Pointed out he'd perhaps dropped something, then walked back to my van, barriers lifted & all the traffic was ready to move on, so Merc driver had little choice but to also drive away, too.

I felt good, even with dirty hands!!

VB
Smokers and Rubbish - DP
Well said PhilW.

We smoke outside at work, and just very occasionally you get the odd tut from people walking past. It creases me up. I'm smoking outside in a street which on three occasions last year had NO2 levels recorded of 820 ug/m3 of nitrogen dioxide (which is 410x the natural background level, and a good 60% higher than the recommended safe level). If you live in this environment 24/7, the odd smoker is the least of your problems quite frankly, but then tutting at every passing car, bus, van and truck doesn't quite have the same impact.

Smoker bashing has got silly and out of hand, not on this thread, but in society as a whole. We seem to have replaced immigrants as scapegoats for the country's problems.

Rant mode off! :-)

Cheers
DP

DP,

I maintain the right to tut at anything. I caught myself tutting at myself today twice. :-Q
Smokers and Rubbish - Dalglish
.... Possibly face a fine for littering.

in which case this story may interest you:
tinyurl.com/3yyalo

>> .... Possibly face a fine for littering.
in which case this story may interest you:
tinyurl.com/3yyalo

Lovely little old lady fined by brutish council (Labour, no less) employee for merely 'inspecting' some litter - how awful! Thank God and St George that we have the Daily Mail to report such horrors. Still, not long now until 'Dave' takes over and puts things right. OAP's will be able to walk the streets, safe in the knowledge that they can inspect imaginary five-pound notes to their heart's content!
Smokers and Rubbish - Kevin
>Quite often around office buildings you will see an area where smokers congregate. Usually this
>area is defined by scores of discarded fag ends that will occasionally be swept up.

I've found the exact opposite to be true. Smokers in smoking areas usually pick up litter to deny the anti-smoking bigots extra ammunition.

>I guess if people don't care about polluting their bodies through this addiction then they're not
>going to be too bothered about keeping the streets clean.

Good logic.

>British people, on the whole, are not particularly clean though.

Maybe in your neck of the woods. I'd move if I were you.

Kevin...
Smokers and Rubbish - DP
Strawberry, I think. :-)

I know my Halfords screenwash failed miserably to deal with it, and McDonalds milkshakes don't half cover a decent area when smeared across the screen by the wiper blades. With the car travelling at 80 mph at the time, the bodywork wasn't the only thing that was soiled and unpleasant smelling by the time we got home....

Cheers
DP
Too much information DP !, It's just provoked a vivid memory of a battleship grey Austin 1100/1300 estate with its puny wipers struggling to cope with my sister's retroperistalsis on the M4 in 1972.
Smokers and Rubbish - mattc
Possibly an urban myth, but i'm sure that someone was following a car that had a fag butt thrown out. This was sucked up into the air filter and the combination of hot dry air rushing over the paper element plus the hot embers resulted in an engine fire. I drive round the dropped fags and make sure I flash the inconsiderate in front if it happens to me.
I seem to have hit a few nerves here. I did not mean to offend anybody. The main reason that I brought the subject up was because a few weeks ago I was in my father?s car and he tossed his butt/fag end out the window something he never did when I was a child. At the time my daughter was in the car. She then asked if it was ok to toss her sweetie paper out of the window to be told no (fell straight into her trap) you can guess the next question. Left the old man speechless. Although any materials that are discarded out car windows is disgusting and down right dangerous in some cases.

In my father case he thinks it is acceptable to toss butt/fag ends out the window but not anything else.
Smokers and Rubbish - Ian (Cape Town)
Fascinating from one point of view...
Our law here is soon to be chjanged so that smoking in a car which has Under-16s in it, will become an offence with the same penalties as cellphone-use in cars.

Smokers and Rubbish - Mchenry
The official enquiry into the fire in the Mont Blanc tunnel, which killed thirty-odd people, considered that a burning cigarette end drawn into the air filter box of a Volvo tractor was the most likely cause of the fire. Tests showed that it would have glowed brightly while the engine was at full load on the approach road and then burst into flames when the driver lifted his foot to change gear at the entrance to the tunnel. The enquiry also showed that complacency, incompetence, ignorance and stupidity were very largely responsible for the death toll.
Smokers and Rubbish - mss1tw
The official enquiry into the fire in the Mont Blanc tunnel...

While we're busting generalisations...

Tsk. bikers.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierlucio_Tinazzi
Smokers and Rubbish - Mchenry
I'm not sure what you mean here.
There may have been one, or many heroes of the day, but that doesn't change the fact that 12 people and 4 local and national govenrment agencies on the French side were charged with « homicides involontaires par maladresse, imprudence, inattention, négligence ou manquement à une obligation de sécurité », meaning manslaughter caused by negligence, carelessness, failing to respect safety obligations, etc.
The Chief Safety Officer on the French side got 6 months' prison and another 24 suspended.
Doesn't this prove my point about ingorance, stupidity,etc?
A sobering link, Information I'd never come accross. Some true heros still in this world.
Smokers and Rubbish - Bagpuss
If you ride a bike fag ends are only one of many things to be
avoided I recently had a full nappy aimed in my direction .

I thought this was why cars carried "Baby on Board" stickers - as a warning to the unwary to stay clear;-)
Smokers and Rubbish - madf
Clears his throat...

Our house is opposite a road junction , near a scholl and with fields nearby. Due to the local winds we get all sorts of rubbish blown into our yard and front garden.

It used to be (I talk with 20 years experience!) we would have fag packets and cellophane wrapping daily. Now we see the odd one, but it's mainly sweet papers (not crisp bags, chocoltaes).

Hardly scientific I know but my experience is generally there is now less mess from smokers : or are there fewer of them here and we're all fit and healthy?
:-)
madf
Smokers and Rubbish - madf
sorry : too early for spelling or typing properly:-(
madf
Smokers and Rubbish - L'escargot
There's an awful lot of rubbish thrown out of car windows, usually on the passenger's side. at the end of dual carriageway exit slip roads.
--
L\'escargot.
madf - I had a mental image of a giant wooden flip flop thing popular with middle class hippie sin the 70s :-)

I nvere maek toyps.
madf - I had a mental image of a giant wooden flip flop thing popular
with middle class hippie sin the 70s :-)
I nvere maek toyps.

the old lady squats there now, she has a gazzilion kids apparently and makes a fortune out of child benefit.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Smokers and Rubbish - Edward
Kettering Borough Council now issues £75 fines for cigarette butts thrown from cars. A guy a work got two fines in the space of a week (notifications took a week to come through so he didn't know he had committed the first offence). The council employs a Litter Warden who stands at major junctions during rush hour noting down the details of anyone throwing anything from their car.
As this adds to the coffers of cash strapped councils, expect this to be coming to an area near you soon.

Edward
Smokers and Rubbish - bell boy
good
give me a peaked cap and the obligitory clipboard and i will do my bit for the community every 3rd sunday
Smokers and Rubbish - OldHand
As a biker I've been unfortunate enough to have someone else's discarded and still burning cigarette end lodge momentarily in my visor. I assure you he didn't see the funny side when I booted the side of his car after explaining how his behaviour nearly caused me to crash. He didn't give a toss about what he'd done right up till the moment he began fearing for his life.

I'd do the same again, if you must discard them at least stub them out.
"notifications took a week to come through so he didn't know he had committed the first offence"

No - didn't know he'd been caught, two entirely different things.

Went around our village last night doin an Enviromental Audit with the local Beat Officer, some Parish and County Council workers and members. A picturesque village, spoilt by very minor things, loads of discarded and stamped in chewing gum which far outnumbered the fag ends, few doggie jobbies and loads of generic Lucozade type bottles. It's quite simply a symptom of the low brow, slum mentaility agency dependant drones we're breeding. At least the offensive graffiti hasn't re-appeared after the Police jumped on the low life specimins a few weeks ago.
Smokers and Rubbish - P3t3r
My car has had a fuel leak for quite a long time (been 'fixed' a few times). During my leak I think I remember two occassions when somebody has thrown a fag out infront of me, which is quite scarey when the whole car smells worse than a petrol station. Fortunately not a lot happened that time. Should I have braked hard, or swerved, it could have killed loads of people? Maybe I would have panicked and done the wrong thing?
Smokers and Rubbish - Lud
My car has had a fuel leak I think I remember two occassions when somebody has thrown
a fag out infront of me which is quite scarey when the whole car smells
worse than a petrol station. Fortunately not a lot happened

Of course one must have the greatest respect for explosive fumes and so on, but unless there's an actual stream of petrol running out of your car I doubt if there's much to worry about... That said, it happened with the worst of my five Skoda Estelles, stream of petrol I mean not fire, been in bad hands that one...

But there's nothing more irritating than films in which every time a car runs off the road or into another car it goes up in a fireball. Has any one here ever seen that or anything like it?
Smokers and Rubbish - Westpig
But there's nothing more irritating than films in which every time a car runs off the road or into another car it goes up in a fireball. Has any one here ever seen that or anything like it?

No, not instantaneously...but they do go up sometimes.....worst one for me was a 3 series BMW coupe driven by a drunk, who drove too fast in a windy country road, went off into a tree and left his mate in the back when it caught fire and went up totally

Good Samaritan who'd just been overtaken by them tried to get the chap out, but being a 2 door and the rear seat passenger having no seat belt on and ending up going between the front 2 seats and headbutting the dashboard, knocking himself out.... combined with the car being 3 foot off the ground over a ditch.....meant it was not a successful mission

wouldn't recommend viewing one of those, rather unpleasant
Well I have to say, I wouldnt be drving around in a car that smelt of petrol.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Especially if it was a diesel.
Get back on your vigilante patrol PU.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Smokers and Rubbish - hillman
Smoker are dirty people, period !

I used to catch the 17:37 out of Manchester after a headlong run, jumping on as the doors closed. I always knew by looking at the floor whether I was in a Smoker or a Non-smoker. I just looked at the floor. If it was full of toffee papers, food wrappers and similar junk I'd just move one carriage forward to the Non-smoker which was always clean.
Smokers and Rubbish - Micky
I am pipe smoker.

I find that rapping my pipe against the rollbar is a particularly effective method of thwarting those infernal night-time tailgaters; at reasonable velocities, I suspect it must resemble something from an early James Bond filum.