Why do bikers do it? - AlastairW
Took my boys to the lakes today - nice and sunny, bit of a trip on a boat, lovely day, all in all.
Both I and the 11 year old noticed there were loads of bikers about. Most of them were stood next to the rows of parked bikes, stretching, looking rather sweaty and uncomfortable in their leathers. The few that had strayed more than a few yards from their steeds walked about the shops with a helmet in one hand with curious stiff legged gait, no doubt caused by the trouser/boot comibination they were wearing.
Would it not have made more sense for these couples (most seemed to have a pillion today) to have travelled to the beauty spot by car (maybe a two seater). After all they could have stood next to their bikes in just about any car park, couldn't they.
Incidentally I don't aim this at any particular biker or pillion, it is just a general observation and does not necessarily relect the views of any other reader or non reader of this site, blah-di-blah-blah:-)
Why do bikers do it? - yorkiebar
Its a biker thing !

Seen it myself.

The day out apears to be all about the ride there and back more than the destination.

Maybe its refreshing to have a decent drive when the motorbike is used rather than the stop start traffic a car often endures?
Why do bikers do it? - bell boy
I had to deal with the usual idiots wanting to take my ofFside mirror oFf today going for my fish-chips at scarborough,the most annoying thing is they seem to have latched on to my own private b roads rather than the A64.
vERY annoyed of yorkshire
obviousley doesnt apply to any bikers on here bla bla bla-----------------or does it ;-)
Why do bikers do it? - Mr.Tee43
Alastair

Why do bikers do it ?

Last Easter ,I went out for a ride and happened to get on the A64, dual carriageway heading to Scarborough, I was going to Helmsley.For about 6 miles, the road was full with two lanes of stationary or near walking pace cars and cars towing caravans presumably heading for the coast for the Easter weekend.

As I filtered through down the middle of this 6 mile tailback,I had the same thought.

Why is it,that every Bank holiday, motorists set off for a day or few days only to sit in cars for hours going nowhere. Madness !

I and my friend had a wonderful stressfree fun ride,a coffee and sandwich and a bit of people watching at Helmsley and a nice trip home.I guess a lot of those motorists may still have been still sitting in their vehicles progressing at 2 miles an hour to the next roundabout/bottleneck.

Fat lot of good having your fast,good handling 16v GTi expensive motor on occasions like that !
Why do bikers do it? - oldpostie
There are some wonderful biking roads round there. I took my IAM bike test there, (in the mid 1980s) using part of the B63?? York to Helmsley road, one of the best roads for that. Lovely memories of motorcycling in Yorkshire, esp. with that part of the BMW club and all the runs we had then.
Why do bikers do it? - Leif
Dunno. I once had a ride on the back of a 1000cc BMW bike driven by my step sister's finance, who was a traffic cop. Apparently we did 100mph down the M1. I was scared witless. A horrible experience. Why anyone would wish to ride pillion on a bike is beyond me. Bikers do talk about feeling free on a bike, so I suppose that must be it.

But I guess it is the same reason why people go down to the pub and sit in a group all evening. It's about having a pleasant ride, and meeting friends, getting up to date on the gossip, sharing information and so on. Perfectly understandable. By the way, most people who go in a car to a scenic place stray no more than 100m from the car. It's their choice and who am I to judge.
Why do bikers do it? - bathtub tom
"By the way, most people who go in a car to a scenic place stray no more than 100m from the car."

Otherwise the scroats smash a window to see what's worth nicking inside!
Why do bikers do it? - Simon
As a biker myself, I can reveal that it is about the ride to and from a place that is the pleasurable part, rather than the destination itself. All the destination tends to do is provide somewhere to stretch your legs, have a cup of tea and use the loo etc. A lot bikers that you see at the weekends are the ones who ride for pleasure rather than as a basic means to get somewhere.

So why do bikers find riding bikes so enjoyable? I don't really know but I suppose it gives you an adrenaline buzz and in the fine weather is a lot more pleasurable than driving a car. Yes bikes can be dangerous but in my opinion only as dangerous as you allow it to be. Ie if you ride like an idiot, expect to come a cropper sooner rather than later.

If you have never experienced riding a proper bike first hand, then you don't know what you are missing.
Why do bikers do it? - jlo
I quite agree Simon, I am a 'fair weather' biker myself and the pleasure is the ride. Sometimes I go to Stratford upon avon as there is a big bike park and part of the fun is just being around other bikers and having a chat.

Oh well, weekend over now. Back to 4 wheels now until next weekend!!

Cheers

Jlo
Why do bikers do it? - Lud
I didn't notice it myself, but my wife pointed out that about a third of German drivers pose with their arms crossed and bad-tempered expressions on their faces right beside their cars in motorway service station car parks.

Perhaps bikers are nature's Germans?
Lud

I don't understand your post at all.

Most bikers at meeting points are happy and friendly.

Something else to consider.There are a lot of happy shop owners at places where bikers meet and spend money.The chap who owns Squires Cafe at Sherburn in Elmet is a millionaire from the trade he gets and the little mobile sandwich and drinks van at Devils Bridge,Kirby Lonsdale has made its owner very rich, all from the custom of bikers.

Try asking the shop keepers at Matlock Bath if they want bikers there or not !
mr tee though duff pull my leg
with millionaire tea sellers?
Lud
I don't understand your post at all.
Most bikers at meeting points are happy and friendly.

My impression too. And they're some of the best and fastest drivers on the road, with the best road manners.

I was just joking about the allegation that they hung about near their bikes. The real reason is probably that they're impatient to get back on them and zoom off somewhere else.
Why do bikers do it? - Pugugly {P}
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, ? and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of ? wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew ?
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

? John Gillespie Magee, Jr

That's why in a nutshell.
Bellboy

www.squires-cafe.co.uk/

He also has his own helicopter landing pad, complete with helicopter !
Bellboy
www.squires-cafe.co.uk/

thanks
and i remember when all he had was 2000sq feet down the road

egg on toast
£2.80

>>.
>>>>>>>>>>
no wonder he is a millionaire
when i get me moped out on the road i wanna drive drive drive

jasper carrot
You're wrong bell boy it

"droive, droive, droive"
You're wrong bell boy it
"droive droive droive"

sowwy............. your wight
how to kill a moile...................;-)
Why do bikers do it? - uk_in_usa
? John Gillespie Magee Jr
That's why in a nutshell.

He wrote that at age 18, and died in his Spitfire at age 19.

They don't make them like him anymore.
Why do bikers do it? - L'escargot
Why? Because it's their choice. The world would be a dull place if everyone did the same things.
--
L\'escargot.
I always think of that poem when riding......
Angelman

On bikes that are relatively new,the lights do not have an on/off switch. The lights come on as soon as the ignition is switched on and your statement proves that having lights on makes the motorcycle more visible, which is a good thing.
Why do bikers do it? - madf
>Marlot
Your point on satnav/phones is valid..

But it's all a matter of self defence.

IF you drive a bike, we all know and stats prove you are more likely to be killed. And the biggest killer of bikes is crashing at speed.

So how many bikes follow cars at a safe disatnce leaving stopping room and how many tail behind within 5 metres? (Particularly true on country roads: I refer to my travels yesterday and Saturday in the Peak District - at least 7 miles away)

All I can say is I was followed for brief distances by at least 6 bikers who tailed me within 5 metres of my rear bumper (and I don't hang around). If I had done an emergency stop for any reason - such as the muppet in an A4 whom I encountered on a blind corner coming straight for me across the white lines - or the biker the week before who was right across the road in similar circumstances... - then the bike following me would be dead..

These are not isolated instances...I can recount instances almost every week like the L biker who inisted in tailgating me for 2 miles until I stopped in a layby cos he was so dangerous...

I'm not anti- bikers.. I'm just commenting that many appear to have a death wish and no common sense - as for defensive driving many seem to do exactly the opposite.

I think the bike accident statistics measure the inability of many (not all or most) bikers to adapt a driving style commensurate with risk...

madf
A room full of Mr Wolfendales (another Chhief of Police from North Wales who is anti bike) today. I am a motorcyclist (as opposed to a biker) I am irritated by aggresive riding and those clowns that insist on riding on main beams, my bike has hard wired lights but also have a dip switch.

Why do bikers do it? - pyruse
Saw a fine example of crazy riding on the M3 yesterday.
Approaching turn off for services about 1/2 mile away
Big artic in the inside lane which I am passing in the middle lane doing about 65 mph.
Outside lane clear.

Biker zooms up behind artic, squeezes between me and the truck on my inside, then indicates left and cuts across the truck to go into the services.....

Madness. Would it have been so hard to slow down if he wanted to turn off?
Why do bikers do it? - Clanger
Angelman
On bikes that are relatively new the lights do not have an on/off switch. The
lights come on as soon as the ignition is switched on and your statement proves
that having lights on makes the motorcycle more visible which is a good thing.

The lights come on automatically on my bike but I believe that using main beam during daytime is an annoyance and the glare prevents accurate judgement of distance. Maybe my riding is improving but I seem to be having fewer folk pull out on me on my current bike which is tall and has 2 headlights than the old bike which had one headlight.

As for being a pillion, Mrs H is often to be found pestering me for a ride. Having a top box to lean back onto helps. On one trip on some twisties she had forsaken the grab handles and her arms were to be seen in the mirrors held out like an aeroplane mime.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
"held out like an aeroplane mime."

Did she confess...?
Why do bikers do it? - rogue-trooper
Hawkeye, I think that you are right. Nowt wrong with dipped main beams but full main beams distract car drivers. I for one tend not to look as often as I would like in the rear view mirror as I don't want my retinas burnt out. Never really thought about pulling out bit but can see why people might not be able to judge distances so well (although if that is the case they shouldn't pull out then).

With all this talk about dangerous manoeuvres I have noticed a lot more people on their motorbikes that are unwilling to pass between two cars side-by-side on a motorway than what used to happen some years ago. Maybe as i do less miles these days I have got a wrong impression.
Why do bikers do it? - SteVee
>>Fair enough on that particular point but the figures speak for themselves. Bikes account for 1% of road traffic and 18% of fatalities. Perhaps this is exacerbated because they are more vulnerable in the first place but still a hugely disproportionate number killed.<<

I would like to see a comparison between motorcycle casualties and the 4-wheel 'leisure' users - the caterhams/elises/subarus and other high-powered sports cars bought for fun.
I have no issue with the belief that motorcycles are dangerous, I just think that some cars are just as dangerous. Personally, I chose a bike over a caterham, and still think I made the right choice.
Why do bikers do it? - Brian Tryzers
I'm sure that SteVee's point is a fair one, but the problem isn't so much with the vehicles - bikes or cars - as with the mentality that treats public roads as a playground and other road users as obstacles. This attitude is just as dangerous in a Mondeo, a Reliant Robin or a milk float, but a disproportionate number of people with that attitude are drawn to powerful bikes and cars - and more of them to bikes because they're cheaper and take less storing.

I'm less concerned about the bikers who overdo it and endanger only themselves - although I'm not so callous as to say that they deserve whatever happens to them. But the kind others in this thread have described, who drive apparently without regard to safe speeds or spacing, are an absolute pain to other road users.
As an example, the Beest family travelled across Wales on the A40 on Easter Saturday - a wonderful road through some gorgeous scenery, with some stimulating twisty bits and a generally excellent surface. We weren't in a hurry but we bowled along at the best pace the traffic and sightlines would allow. Of course, if you do this, you don't see the considerate bikers, because they'll all be doing the same. (Strange as it may seem, you can't actually see any further ahead from a bike than you can from a car.) The bikers you do see are the ones to whom speed limits, traffic observing those limits, solid white lines and blind bends are just hindrances to their enjoyment, and that driving a small vehicle capable of rapid acceleration exempts them from the usual rules and courtesies of the road. A single bike driven this way is a nuisance; a swarm of 20 en route to that distant tea shop, whose riders want to remain in touching distance all the way there, is a menace when they all appear in the mirror at once, hover on the back bumper and then squirt by one at a time on the (very) short stretches between bends. I'm not wilfully obstructive to these people - that would be petty and dangerous - but I don't regard them as courteous fellow road users, so I'm disinclined to go out of my way to be courteous to them.

I don't know the figures but I suspect comparatively few of these Nutter Bikers (pardon the expression!) cause fatalities to other, non-biking road users - there aren't all that many of them and they're far more vulnerable if anything does go wrong. But they do seem to impose a lot of unnecessary stress on the rest of the travelling public on their fun days out.
Why do bikers do it? - Westpig
my bike has awesome acceleration compared to any car (bar the absolute top of the range for speed and even then would give it a run for its' money and is a fifth of the width)

this means that i can overtake on the most miniscule of straights

however, increasingly, those straights are now serviced by double white lines....to cater for the twit in his car/van etc who thinks he can do it when he can't....(same principle as increasing numbers of speed cameras catering for the lowest comon denominator)

i don't condone it, because it's wrong and 3 points, but that is why some bikers overtake where they shouldn't.....

it's the car equivalent of being up behind a tractor or cyclist and having the power/time to overtake, but not being allowed to.....

furthermore i'd hazard a guess that the average non motorcyclist car driver would judge the speed/distance issues by their own comfort zone which is for a car, not a bike...so it can seem far worse than it looks

then when you bung in noisy exhausts which make it sound worse again....they've turned into complete hooligans??........

i do appreciate though that some ruin it for the rest by wheelies, stoppies etc which just winds people up........but isn't that life........the minority ruining it for the majority
Why do bikers do it? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Walking funny? Well - most sports bikes are built for speed not comfort.
Now my BMW is comfortable for several hundred miles and definitely no funny walks.

OAP's - why do they walk/smell funny when they get off their coaches en masse? ;>)

--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Why do bikers do it? - Micky
"> my bike has awesome acceleration compared to any car <"

From a purely engineering point of view, you are mistaken.

Any number of monster bhp AWDs will leave your bike trailing up to 60. A bike is restricted by the footprint of the rear tyre and a tendency to wheelie, it's the mid-range (50 to 150) where bikes romp away, wheelspin and wheelies are no longer a factor and the wall of air can be readily overcome.

">this means that i can overtake on the most miniscule of straights<"

Absolutely, and I'm only too pleased to let you past. But will you please get out of my way when the corners arrive and when there is some serious braking to be done. I always enjoy negotiating a corner inside a 'biker when the opportunity arises. And then going round the outside at the next roundabout. Of course, they howl past on the straight but then I adhere to the posted speed limits. Which is the velocity I will attempt to carry into the next corner, road conditions permitting of course.

The problem is that 'bikes bring down the red mist in anyone with a hint of testosterone in the body. A 'bike in the right hands on smooth tarmac is a very quick thing, and most bikers don't realise how efficiently they can corner, cue TT vid of large Yorkshireman.
"> my bike has awesome acceleration compared to any car <"
From a purely engineering point of view you are mistaken.
Any number of monster bhp AWDs will leave your bike trailing up to 60. A
bike is restricted by the footprint of the rear tyre and a tendency to wheelie
it's the mid-range (50 to 150) where bikes romp away wheelspin and wheelies are no
longer a factor and the wall of air can be readily overcome.

wasn't suggesting 0-60's at all
">this means that i can overtake on the most miniscule of straights<"
Absolutely and I'm only too pleased to let you past. But will you please get
out of my way when the corners arrive and when there is some serious braking
to be done. I always enjoy negotiating a corner inside a 'biker when the opportunity
arises. And then going round the outside at the next roundabout. Of course they howl
past on the straight but then I adhere to the posted speed limits. Which is
the velocity I will attempt to carry into the next corner road conditions permitting of
course.

very rare for car driver to do that to a bike when you're travelling fast on the bike, but your point is accurate, albeit ultimately pointless for the car driver
The problem is that 'bikes bring down the red mist in anyone with a hint
of testosterone in the body. A 'bike in the right hands on smooth tarmac is
a very quick thing and most bikers don't realise how efficiently they can corner cue
TT vid of large Yorkshireman.

reasonable point...BUT...doesn't take account of horse dung, pot hole, gravel in middle of bend, double apex bend that tightens and you've missed it, damp under trees, diesel etc, etc...so if you've got any sense you hold some back...proper reading of the road can usually keep your speed up, without having to do too much leaning heroics....(which is why the TT heroes are so good, because they can do the whole lot.. and can let it go a bit because of marshals assisting them
">wasn't suggesting 0-60's at all<"

Oh I see, so you really mean "awesome acceleration when compared to a car, except for the awkward bit from a standing start up to the NSL on single carriageways" But why didn't you say so?

">but your point is accurate<"

As always.
Why do bikers do it? - Garethj
Oh I see so you really mean "awesome acceleration when compared to a car except for the awkward bit from a standing start up to the NSL on single carriageways"
But why didn't you say so?
">but your point is accurate<"
As always.

Isn't this wrong? 0-60 times for 600cc bikes is 4 seconds or less I think.

30mph-60mph would be an even bigger difference between an average bike and average (or even way above average) car.
">Isn't this wrong? 0-60 times for 600cc bikes is 4 seconds or less I think.<"

You've moved the goalposts, the original statement was

">my bike has awesome acceleration compared to any car<"

Any high power/weight car with AWD, perhaps 500bhp per ton upwards, is going to walk away from a production bike up to 70 or so, or possibly further. Assuming reasonable levels of skill, the variables are power/weight, traction, stability and, eventually, aerodynamics. It's very difficult to get a bike below 3s for 0-60 without a wheelie bar, it either sets fire to the rear wheel or points to the sky.
Why do bikers do it? - Garethj
">Isn't this wrong? 0-60 times for 600cc bikes is 4 seconds or less I think.<"
You've moved the goalposts the original statement was
">my bike has awesome acceleration compared to any car<"
Any high power/weight car with AWD perhaps 500bhp per ton upwards is going to walk
away from a production bike up to 70 or so or possibly further.

We can discuss this with all the Bugatti Veyron drivers on here I suppose.

However for anyone who 'just' wants to go as fast as a McLaren F1, you could pop onto ebay and get a road legal bike for £1500 which will match it through the 1/4 mile, just as a quick example. I'm not really one for carrying 0-60 times in my head as I'm not 9 years old playing top trumps anymore.

However even a 600cc bike is like a 2 litre Mondeo, they're commonly available. 3.5 sec to 60 or thereabouts?
Veyron? Does that have a high bhp/ton ratio? I had considered it a bit of an obese thing, perhaps approaching 2 tons. Although I suppose it is equipped with the launch control nonsense. No, for higher bhp/ton ratios with AWD we must consider offerings from the Orient or perhaps that perennial favourite, the RS200. Although a twin turbo 6R4 would be interesting.

">fast as a McLaren F1<"

Are you confusing speed with acceleration?

">get a road legal bike for £1500<"

Ah, I see, another clause appears, not only must we disregard 0-60, but the vehicle of choice must be cheap. Any more excuses? Sorry, clauses. And if it's cost vs performance then I would choose a go-kart for our tests, just the small matter of SVA ;-)

You don't have to carry 0-60 times around in your head, merely try to understand the concepts of power, weight, traction and stability.

What is "top trumps?" Is it to do with flatulence?

">However even a 600cc bike is like a 2 litre Mondeo, they're commonly available. 3.5 sec to 60 or thereabouts?<"

Mondeos can reach 60 in 3.5 secs? Has Cheddy been speaking to you? Bikes were capable of 0-60 in 3.5ish in the early 1980s, max bhp has increased substantially and weight has dropped, but minimal improvements, which rather proves my point regarding the limitations of bikes in a straight line.

Must go, the sun is out (just) and there are some hydrocarbons to convert before the mimsers arise, although I fear it's a bit too late already.

Oh I see so you really mean "awesome acceleration when compared to a car except
for the awkward bit from a standing start up to the NSL on single carriageways"
But why didn't you say so?

unless you constantly sit at traffic lights and try to race the car next to you.....0-60 times are pretty meaningless.....what i meant was and it ought to be glaringly obvious, is what you do on a journey from A to B.......which is accelerate from a moving position

how many people do you know in any type of vehicle, sit at the side of the road, then race off as quick as they can and then immediately overtake someone?
"> how many people do you know in any type of vehicle, sit at the side of the road, then race off as quick as they can and then immediately overtake someone?<"

Do you mean motorcycle couriers?

">0-60 times are pretty meaningless.<"

Far from it, it's a measure of the power/weight ratio. It's the measurement of top speed that's futile.

">which is accelerate from a moving position<"

Ah yes, it's about time a few qualifying comments appeared. Otherwise known as excuses.
Why do bikers do it? - perleman
I think that bikers 'better road manners' is a bit of a myth as their differen driving tequnique is due to their lower visibility and higher accident death rate. They might appear to be more considerate drivers, but their presence on the road is still a potential hazard, even if not through their own fault.

And going back to the 1st point of this post, it's increadible when they go somewhwhere of outstanding natural beauty, like the lakes, and don't whip out a bit of Wordsworth and check out Grassmere before hitting the roads again.
And going back to the 1st point of this post it's increadible when they go
somewhwhere of outstanding natural beauty like the lakes and don't whip out a bit of
Wordsworth and check out Grassmere before hitting the roads again.

a few years back my b-i-l complained that our trip up through the Alps was not what it could be because he wanted to look at the views, whilst all i wanted to do was wring the neck of my bike on the awesome empty roads.........each to their own ( the views were good i did have sneaky look)
4 motorbikes coming up fast behind me,
1st one takes a risk and overtakes at an inoportune moment,
billy and his 2 mates then think like blind sheep to do the same.
I will always let a bike past if its safe to do so,however, i would put them in a hedge before they start putting my safety on the line.

i know many men my age with powerful bikes and they all want to see their grandchildren tommorrow

Its as it always was big bike/ small brains that causes the problems

I used to see death or maiming on the road from sherbourne to the A1 EVERY SUNDAY 30 YEARS AGO

NOTHING CHANGES
Why do bikers do it? - rogue-trooper
Why do bikers do it? - martint123
I think in quite a few European countries the progression to driving a car includes time on a scooter or bike.
This makes an astounding change of attitude, which is especially noticeable in France.
Possibly it's motorists and bikers against Le Flics rather than against each other.
Why do bikers do it? - Vin {P}
"(Strange as it may seem, you can't actually see any further ahead from a bike than you can from a car.)"

I have to demur. Ona bike, your eyes are significantly higher than a car driver's. You can often see over walls that a car driver can't peer over, so manoeuvres that look dangerous may not be. I haven't ridden a bike for years, but I still remember this when I'm tempted to curse motorcyclists for what looks dangerous from my low-down viewpoint.

V
I have to agree with those that comment on the French motorists attitude to bikers.Last year four of us went through France down to Spain on a 7 day trip. Took in the Millau bridge just to experience this fantastic engineering feat.

Biking through France was an absolute revelation.We happened to go to the Moto GP at LeMans and on leaving at the end of the day could not believe the cheers and waves to ALL bikers passing through towns away from the race track.It was as if we had all been racing that day and we were kinda like celebrities.

French drivers are very helpful to bikes and they seem so aware to your presence and do pull over to let you pass.Spain was good too.

Another point worth making is the contrast in road conditions compared to our poor potholed efforts.

I read somewhere that travelling in a car is a bit like watching a movie on a screen.Travelling by bike is like being in the movie, experiencing all the things that attack your senses,the smells,the air and yes sometimes the rain.

People that have never been trvelling on a bike don't what their missing !
Why do bikers do it? - NARU
I seem to recall that people can ride mopeds from 14 in France, which partly explains the increased awareness. There is also a presumption of guilt on the car driver in an accident (part of their responsibility is to drive in a way which protects the more vulnerable cyclists and bikers) which helps keep that awareness.

There'll always be lunatic bikers, of course, and there are even in the French system. But it tends to be the Brits who buy sportsbikes. Most Europeans buy more practical machines.
Why do bikers do it? - boxsterboy
I read somewhere that travelling in a car is a bit like watching a movie
on a screen.Travelling by bike is like being in the movie experiencing all the things
that attack your senses the smells the air and yes sometimes the rain.
People that have never been trvelling on a bike don't what their missing !

Any convertible car gets close to these senses, whilst giving the added security of ... a car. Not the same, I admit, but close. Especially in something like a ... Boxster.
Why do bikers do it? - cheddar
For once I agree with yorkiebar when he says "The day out apears to be all about the ride there and back more than the destination."

That is the case for lots of bikers.
Why do bikers do it? - AlastairW
Well I think that answers my question! Incidentally I quite agree that sometimes its the journey rather than the destination that is enjoyable, even in a car (particularly yesterday, when I was only held up briefly in one queue). And we did stray more than 100yds from the car (all thh way to Ambleside, by boat). The walk to ice cream shop was still too long for te 6 year old though.
been zapped for a naughty word infringement

roughly said....French drivers good to bikers and get out of the way quick........Uk drivers not so nice to bikers and will make you wait when stationary in queue with double white lines

">I just think that some cars are just as dangerous. <"

Default position for a bike is fallen over, default position for a car is upright. Cars are inherently stable, 'bikes aren't. But that's the main attraction of a 'bike. Except for scooterists and C90 fans of course.
">her arms were to be seen in the mirrors held out like an aeroplane mime. <"

Marvellous!

>wanders off humming Dambusters theme whilst peering through goggles that might be forefingers and thumbs<
Why do bikers do it? - Fullchat
Well I had an outing on my own on easter Sunday, Hull to Thisk via Hemsley and again a week last Sunday, Hemsley-Whitby-Scarborough-Frdaythorpe and home with a couple of 'experienced' riders. These was the longest rides I have undertaken.
I am what you would class as a 'born again' biker of two years with a 1050 Triumph Sprint.
Now I am no slouch as an advanced car driver and can pedal 4 wheels along. I normally ride my bike in a similar vain to riding a car. Observations, position and overtaking.
Well I was left in the weeds and found myself starting to ride in a similar fashion - quick burst overtakes into small spaces and sat on the line.
There seem to be a supposition that oncoming cars will move over to accommodate three abreast and that cars being overtaken will follow there steady course, and speed. I find this aggresive driving/riding but it seems to be the norm.
Likewise the national speed limit seems to be disregarded as not applying to motorcycles. Most riders seemed to obey the slower limits.
It does seem that it is all about the ride and not the scenery.It was brill!!!! But I am not certain I liked what I had become.
--
Fullchat
Why do bikers do it? - Fullchat
Anyway how about an East Yorkshire 'Backroom' bikers meet?
--
Fullchat
Why do bikers do it? - DP
Likewise the national speed limit seems to be disregarded as not applying to motorcycles. Most
riders seemed to obey the slower limits.

This seems to be pretty much a standard attitude.

I will never forget the first time I properly opened up my ZZR600. I actually shouted expletives inside my lid, and was grinning intermittently for days afterwards. I got a hint of it a few times of course, but this was proper, WOT, ohmygoditsjusthit8grandandeverythingsgoneblurry!!!
The acceleration of any big bike is just mindblowing if you're used, as I was, to typical everyday cars.

It takes an enormous amount of self restraint to ride a motorcycle anything like legally. It also confirmed that my decision not to do this when I was in my teens was the right thing to do, as I have no doubt I would have killed myself.

Cheers
DP
Mmmm yes had that feeling DP !
Why do bikers do it? - legacylad
Mr.Tee43

Sorry to interrupt but its Kirkby Lonsdale, or KL to us locals (but without the Petronas Towers).

Yours pedantically
My apologies.

That little snack van must be one of the most successful enterprises in your town.
Why do bikers do it? - legacylad
Apologies accepted!

I am driving past the little snack van again tomorrow, so will see how busy it is. It is only at weekends when I notice the hundreds of bikes there, but it is a fantastic spot by the banks of the Lune and the drive north to Dentdale is very scenic, Barbondale especially being worth a short detour.
Brunstrom's evangelical approach does not work.........

those in society that believe him with no quibbling.....already drive to the rules anyway

those that consider some limits in some circumstances far too low and unnecessary speed a bit where it's safe to do so and not when it isn't, think he's talking piffle most of the time so his credibility is shot

those that couldn't give a hoot for anyone or anything aren't going to take any notice anyway

it's the latter that need to be hammered, not the 1st group with an inadvertant mistake or the 2nd group who are generally responsible
Why do bikers do it? - Chicken Vindaloo
"Report on the radio yesterday of the North Wales Police administering fixed penalty fines to two 16 year old girls for chalking pictures of flowers on a deserted street":

news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/wales/north_west/6605107.stm

I am afraid Brundstrom is recruiting his coppers from whatever thicko-reservoir he comes from himself.

Down Trafalgar Square way there used to be pavement artists who drew things on the pavement as a form of visual busking, for coins from passers-by. Don't know if they still do, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

It would be enjoyable to witness a couple of fuzz from some remote province trying to run one of them in. Probably get lynched by Japanese and American tourists and beaten half to death with Harrods carrier bags.
Brunstrom's case is being investigated by the IPCC, there is the potential for Criminal Proceedings.
I am afraid Brundstrom is recruiting his coppers from whatever thicko-reservoir he comes from himself.

I think you'll find that to be a Westminster City Council bye-law offence...Possession of a Harrods bag in circumstances likely to cause Harrassment, Alarm or Distress
Why do bikers do it? - Sofa Spud
I'm all for bikers being stationary as they are less of a menace on the road that way!!! LOL!
Why do car drivers do it? - Pugugly {P}
Well,

Riding along on (my not very invisible) today at a steady and non-threatening 70 to 80 passing trucks and slugs in lane 1, when a myopic car driver pulled out just as I was passing, plenty of horn woke her up (ooh er) as she swerved back into lane one. That could very well have been death or serious injury ! Few miles further on, passing some clod in a Mitsubishi thing, when he threw an apple core out of his car straight into my lap......(slow moving traffic no more than 20mph) why the hell do they drive like this ?
Why do car drivers do it? - mss1tw
Well
Riding along on (my not very invisible) today...

Well it's certainly not visible. :-P
Why do car drivers do it? - Pugugly {P}
Yes! - "bike" is the missing word and mss1tw wins the rotten apple core ! ;-)
Why do car drivers do it? - nortones2
Because they are in a bubble. Disconnected from the external world. They don't see hazards which are obvious when you have ridden on 2 wheels. Or walked. Not that anyone is perfect, but idiocy is easy when in a cocoon:)
Why do car drivers do it? - Phil I
I used to have days like this occasionally. This was in the days of the TV series "Get Smart" where the agent had a cone of invisibility lowered from the ceiling when receiving instruction from his masters.
Bicycle riding thru Birmingham City Centre and the Gravelly Hill Interchange on a daily basis on my way to work and home again in the evening. these invisible days seemed to be quite random. I could never establish a pattern to them so enabling me to call in and say "not coming today folks - manage without me"

Happy Motoring - QX style now Phil I