Car security - budu
For an R-reg Peugeot 106, what is the best anti theft device - Krooklock, one of those bars that clamps on the steering wheel, or what?
Re: Car security - Guy Lacey aka Golf Geek
None as I think most of these can be ripped off by the experienced thief.

The steering wheel locks or snap off steering wheels seem pretty good tho.

Get a Thatcham Approved Immobiliser such as the Clifford Virtual Key (£150)

I think you are better off with a device that cannot simply be ripped off - i.e. something electronic and installed properly.
Re: Car security - Paul C
The Disklock is expensive but has done very well in magazine tests as it covers the whole steering wheel so thieves can't cut it off. Also it is bright yellow so it is a highly visible deterrent and apparently according to Auto Express the best Thatcham Category 3 immobiliser. About £80 I think, and for the one I have I thought it was well worth it, especially as we all know car alarms are useless now as people as too blasé about them as they go off so often. I think Halfords stock it.
Re: Car security - Graham
Would one of these disclocks fit a Land Rover steering wheel?

I suppose I should be helpful here and say how big it is - but I don't know off hand. Let me guess er....about the width of a standard keyboard... and I don't have a ruler....17inches?

I am currently usung a trunchon like thing, but I'm sure that it would just give a would-be thief more leverage to bend the wheel!
Re: Car security - Trevor Potter
They do different sizes - "standard" fits up to 15" (i think) - but it does tell you on the packing.

And YES they are cumbersome.

And YES very effective.
Re: Car security - Derek
I concur. I found that my car one wouldn't fit a Transit steering wheel, though. Do they come in bigger sizes?
Re: Car security - Dave
The main downfall with the Disclock is that is is a pain in the arris to fit if you're in a hurry. Who wants to mess about fitting such a cumbersome device every time you park up and nip in a newsagents, for example.
Re: Car security - KB
Yes they do stock it Paul and yes it is £80. And yes to your other comments as well. Tis a bit heavy and unwieldy, but I won't be swopping mine for anything else just yet. Nice feeling - knowing your car is most unlikely to disapear. I'm not saying it can't be got around, but I reckon it's the best steering wheel device on the market.

KB.
Re: Car security - Tomo
Toad-san's Disklok is grey, but otherwise fits above description. It is used in conjunction with a Toad system in this case, but mostly I think it would persuade the ungodly to look for something easier and quicker to nick on its own.
Re: Car security - Ffa Coffi Pawb
For an R-reg Peugeot 106, the best anti theft device are the words "Peugeot" and the letters "106" emblazeoned on the rear of said vehicle.
Unkind, and not quite accurate; it is hard to understand, but they are quite popular around here and presumably candidates for "liberation".
Re: Car security - Mark (Brazil)
I was always under the impression that the biggest problem in the Uk was cars being broken into for the contents - with frequently resulting vandalism - more than the car actually being stolen ?

Wrong ?
Yes they do now come in grey or yellow and the grey does look nicer. Mine does happen to be grey as well as I thought it looked a bit less 'garish' and matched the upholstery. However it struck me after purchase that it ought to be a bit more eyecatching so I bought a metre of 6 inch wide self adhesive fluorescent yellow PVC as fitted to breakdown trucks etc. and trimmed it to fit so that there's a strip down the middle of the face of the thing and also a bit more on the 'arm' thus making it visible.

KB.
Lots and lots go missing in some areas just for.....and I use the term inadvisedly.........joyriding. They then get taken to a carpark or dark lane and are torched. This is very common in some areas.

KB.
Re: Car security - neil
I would think if you took your baseball cap with you when you park it, the ungodly would be unlikely to have their own with them and therefore you would at least be safe from opportunists (except PSA dealers, obviously). On the other hand, you would need to carry a spare hat, or if you lost it you'd be stranded. (sorry, couldn't resist!). Best immobiliser is - take the fuel injection relay with you - (on the same principle as the hat and with the same caveat).
Re: Car security - Guy Lacey aka Golf Geek
Us in the Golf circle - pre-immobiliser days - used to remove the rotor arm from our motas every time we used to park.

Crude but effective.

Master of cunning.

Guy.
During the war one was required to remove the things, lest the German army arrived short of wheels.

A bit later, the Lucas rotor arm was very standard and any self respecting ned carried one.
Re: Car security - Trevor Potter
My dad told me about that.
Re: Car security - P Mason
Nobody has mentioned the 'Autolock', it fits over the gearstick and handbrake handle- handbrake can't be released. I've had one for about 15 years and it seems efficient.
P
Only as strong as its weakest link - Big Vern
P Mason wrote:
>
> Nobody has mentioned the 'Autolock', it fits over the
> gearstick and handbrake handle- handbrake can't be released.
> I've had one for about 15 years and it seems efficient.
> P

I have seen some of these devices that rely on a rivet at the hinge, 20 sec with a cordless drill and your off. Anti theft devices are only as strong as their weakest link.
Re: Car security - Ian L
From bad experience, the autolok type are a complete waste of time.....only as good as the gearstick, my mk2 fiesta was almost nicked (I chased the person off) when I got back to the car the gearstick had been bent by sitting in the seat and putting a foot to the gear knob...just enough to release the handbrake from the tubular part of the autolok...takes about 5sec maximum. The autolok can be removed from the gear stick later at the thiefs leisure.

Ian L.
Re: Car security - Matt Kelly
Once, while away at a sailing event in my youth, one of the fellow inhabitants of the camp site was being really annoying so we thought we'd do something to his car to stop him being able to start it. We decided upon rotor arm removal as we thought it might keep him guessing for a while. Unfortunately he got straight out of the driver's seat having failed to start it, opened the boot, took out his spare rotor arm and having checked that the original was missing put in his spare and off he went.
My friends and I felt thoroughly beaten !
Yes they do come in bigger sizes - see their website.......wwwdisklok.co.uk or ring them 01257795101

KB.
Re: Car security - Derek
Thanks, I'll follow that up.
The Autolok handbrake/gear lever device is (or was) one of the UK's best sellers, but in tests proved to be one of the easiest to defeat. See Auto Express Security Test amongst others. You only have to look at the Disklok then the Autolok to see the difference.

KB.
If the Disklok is just too cumbersome, the "Longarm" is much easier to handle and still apparently difficult to overcome. Halfords do their own (identical) version with their own name on it priced at £44.99. They call it the High Security Bar. See www.halfords.com/shop/item.asp?id=311548&cat=2&sub...0 for their security products.

KB.
Re: Car security - Mister Gear
Have you considered a dog?
Re: Car security - neil
The man has a Peugeot 106 - have you no pity?