Lexus style lights..Electrical problem. - graham woods
Hi All. Well i have been messing about for five hours now and got nowhere. This morning the lexus style lights arrived for my ford Ka (2003/ 03 plate) complete with the bulbs and wiring connectors, so a simple 15 min job to change over, or so I thought. The problem I have only affects the rear drivers side. When i switch on the indicator and side lights, the filament in the side light bulb goes dim, and then bright inconjunction with the indicator bulb flashing, also if I press the brake light the indicator does light up at all or flash.
At first I thought I had a faulty loom that was supplied with each of the lights, both identical, so swopped them over and still the same problem on the drivers side. When i put the original ones back on, everything is perfect. Any body out there any ideas of what it might be. Totally baffled...Thanks all.. Graham.
Lexus style lights..Electrical problem. - Perfection
I think its your new Lexus style cluster. Does it have the electrical connection from the connector to all the bulb holders? Maybe the one you bought has different circuit connection. I.e the brake light is wired such that its interfering with your indicator.

Or is the electrical connection properly made between the loom/connector/cluster??
Lexus style lights..Electrical problem. - injection doc
sounds like a bad earth, try adding one tempary to see if it cures it
Lexus style lights..Electrical problem. - bell boy
these should come all complete
as injection doc says make an earth up
you will find an 8mm pickup point in the boot below the lights
of coarse make sure you have all the bulbs in the right way
and dont overtighten the fasteners to the body as they pull out of the light if you do
Lexus style lights..Electrical problem. - Simon
I agree that it might be a faulty earthing problem. Maybe it is on the light cluster itself rather than the wiring harness.
Hi All, Thanks very much for the replys so far. I think that it is a earth problem as well. But cant understand when I swop over the looms the problem stii exist on the drivers side, hence the looms must be o.k. Anyway, i am going to mess about with the earth wiring tomorow, weather permitting, and let you know how I go on. Thanks very much all, Graham.
Lexus style lights..Electrical problem. - yorkiebar
Are the existing light units working ok or have a problem on the same side?

Have you checked properly or just assumed the old ones work ok?
Hi there Yorkiebar, yes, the existing lights work perfectly. Double checked, Cheers, Graham.
Lexus style lights..Electrical problem. - stuartl
Bad Earth for sure. Trouble is these 'Lexus Lights' and other such items are aimed at young kids to put in their base model Corsa's and Clio's so are made very cheaply to be affordable to the 'chav' market and the quality is reflected in this.

Stick the proper lights back in and make your car look 100% better!!

PS, many of these aftermarket lights do not conform to uk spec so may be illegal anyway........
Hi there, Stuartl, Thanks for the comments, I agree some-what as to what you are saying.,Sticking to the original lights in my own opinion certainly do not make it look better at all. Also, I must say that the quality of these lexus style lights are 100%. Also these are e marked etc.etc. and there-fore accept they are legal for u.k. use. I am going to have a go at the earths tomorrow, Cheers, Graham.
Lexus style lights..Electrical problem. - mss1tw
It's a sign... ;o)
Hi there, mss1tw, Sorry lost me!!! Cheers, Graham.
Lexus style lights..Electrical problem. - Hamsafar
You can just get an old bit of wire and touch it to some metalwork on the car such as the earth point under the lights, then touch this on an earth area in the bulb holder, hard to explain without seeing it, but there should be a track in the bulb holder which daisy-chains every bulb holder (this is the earth) then every bulb holder should have a track which goes to a seperate pin in the connector.

Cheers, Ashok, I will have a go at the earths tomorrow, Thanka again Graham.
Well i think they look mint in ka"s
carp in corsa"s and pewgots and saxo"s mind
>>>>>>Well i think they look mint in ka"s
carp in corsa"s and pewgots and saxo"s mind

would anyone care to translate this into English for the benefit of the majority on here.........????
Lexus style lights..Electrical problem. - mss1tw
Hi there mss1tw Sorry lost me!!! Cheers Graham.

Not my favourite item of car modding kit, Lekus lights. Don't even find them particularly nice on real Lexuseseseses.

A nice set of alloys and some mild lowering does wonders for most cars - Lexus lights are in the same league as underbody neons and spinners (Only in my opinion, it's a free country after all!)
mss1tw, that goes for me too, although if I want a car that looks sporty I would BUY a car that is supposed to look that way, not try and 'pimp' something and attempt to make it look something that it's not. A sheep in wolf's clothing all seems a bit teenie boy racer to me.

Again though, each to their own.....

( On a serious note though, how many kids are driving round with modifications such as alloy wheels etc that have not been declared as a modification to their (or their parent's) insurance companies??)

That's a surefire way of an insurance company backing out of paying in the event of a claim. I've heard it happen many times.......

Insurance companies will ALWAYS look for a way out of paying a claim.
well many years ago i used to mod cars and tell the insurance company,even got my insurance stopped once
i think its expressionism in a world of boring cars and two many crosses to cross
i like modded cars
and they can still be insured if you go the proper way
Lexus style lights..Electrical problem. - Hamsafar
Most youths are probably third party fire and theft, and the modifications can't invalidate your Road Traffic Act cover for the benefit of the third party, so that really leaves fire, so hopefully the evidence would be burnt or if stolen there would no longer be a car. The worst thing that could happen in my opinion is that a claimis made and your insurance company become aware of the mods and so the policy is cancelled and you lose the balance of the premium, and get a black mark against your name.
Sorted at last. What i found was the connector on the offside lights are wired totally opposite to the near side ones, so i swopped over each of the wires on the lexus light connector, soldered them all in place, and hey presto all working as they should. Thanks all out there for your help and comments, Cheers, Graham.