Jeep Grand Cherokee engine type - dxp55
Could anyone tell me what make of engine is in the 3.1? Cherokee Auto Ltd Turbo Diesel - I have found every engine size except 3.1 so I am wondering if I have been told wrong capacity - can only find 2.1 (Renault) and 2.5 (Italian)

Thanks Dave
Jeep Grand Cherokee engine type - Screwloose
Dave

I think it's the five-cylinder version of the 2.5 4-cyl Italian VM engine with the separate cylinder heads. Not exactly one of my favorites.
Jeep Grand Cherokee engine type - Robin the Technician
I agree with Dave - not a good engine at all. VM (Verducci Minelli) make engines primarily for boat but their movement into the car industry was fraught with problems. Just ask anyone who owned a Rover SD1 diesel 2.4. It spent more time having head gaskets than did on the road.

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
Jeep Grand Cherokee engine type - SjB {P}
GM and the italian VM company, together.

See www.allpar.com/mopar/Diesel.html and scroll down near the bottom
Jeep Grand Cherokee engine type - SjB {P}
Thanks to Wikipedia I just learned that in fact Detroit Diesel was separated from GM in 1988.
To be exact the engine was therefore developed by Detroit Diesel and VM as I see the linked page says, since the former now has no ties with GM.
Jeep Grand Cherokee engine type - jc2
VM have supplied engines to most of the worlds' car manufacturers at one time or another;they're also the diesels used in the Mercruiser range of engines.I believe their latest range of engines does not have a seperate head to each cylinder.They have a museum on the premises in Cento which is very interesting;made aero engines at one time.
Sjb

Thanks for all replies and for the link - so there is a 3.1 -came out in 99 reading the link - so is this engine as bad as 2.5 ??
If I have repeated this reply - sorry

Dave

Jeep Grand Cherokee engine type - Aprilia
The 3.1 is a 5-cylinder VM-derived unit with seperate heads and gear-operated cams. Just like the smaller one, but bigger... And just a much of a load of rubbish. Don't touch it on any account. In fact you'd be well advised to steer clear of any Chrysler product.
Jeep Grand Cherokee engine type - Collos25
Just returned from Germany where Chrysler sales are now non existant including Jeep, and a friend who works for the main Chrysler agents nearby have them on special offer and when they are gone they are not to be replaced ,poor sales,customer disatisfaction and enormous warranty claims being the main reasons.
For some reason you have all changed my mind - thanks for the input

Dave