Number plates - flunky
Need some new plates - old back plate is scratched. Is it legal to buy online? If not, what's the cheapest option.
Number plates - Collos25
Yes its legal to buy just make sure you buy legalally set out plates ,loads of options on ebay but any car parts shop will bang you a set up with the correct paperwork.
Number plates - milkyjoe
why one needs proof of ownership is beyond me when buying new plates , only a moron would fit "wronguns" as its a crime just driving with them on never mind trying to get free petrol (doin a runner)
Number plates - mjm
Wrong numberplates enable you to go as fast as you like past cameras etc, park where you like and go in and out of congestion charging zones as often as you like free of charge and with no points on your licence.

The only downside is that you run the risk of a near nonexistant policeman catching you.

Makes you wonder why anyone fits the right plates, doesn't it?
Number plates - bell boy
As i understand it so long as the online company is based in scotland or northern ireland then you can buy from the internet with no paperwork needed
Makes a mockery of my £40 one off licence and the fact my records have to be scrummy dumtious
Number plates - Ruperts Trooper
The identity regulations attached to the supply of new number plates are a bureaucratic total waste of time - those of us on the right side of the law have to dig out various documents, and pay extra, while those on the wrong side of the law just get illegal ones off ebay, cheaper, no questions asked!

I was pigged off because legal new number plates have to be in the current font, even for an older car, so my W reg now has different fonts back and front.
Number plates - markengland
Framptons are excellent - www.pl8s.co.uk - I've no connection with them other than as a very satisfied customer. Very cheap and next day delivery.
Number plates - flunky
This site looks pretty good

www.craigsplates.co.uk/

They offer acrylic or metallic plates, plain or 3D lettering (both are road legal). I'm a bit suspicious of 3D lettering, might look a bit naff. You can also get a slogan on the plate, which *is* legal, because it's an extra small rectangle just below the main plate: see here www.craigsplates.co.uk/news.php?news_id=1 Those letters appear to be 3d, my thought is they look cheap.

Any thoughts on what would look best - metal or acrylic?
Number plates - MB3
I've just ordered from pl8s.co.uk and found the website easy to use and the price seems fair at £9 per plate, including postage.

Time will tell what the quality is like.
Number plates - UncleR
Craigsplates looks good but they insist on sending scans of your documents:

"The DVLA regulations state that we must see Proof of Identity AND Proof of Entitlement for all Road Legal number plates. See below for the list of acceptable documents. You can scan and email, fax or post them. (All required information to do this is on our Contact us page!)"

Seems a bit worthless going to this trouble when scanned docs are so easilty forged.
Number plates - aaflyer
www.fancyplates.com