A3 delays ar Hindhead ( longterm) - henry k
For those who want to use the A3 to the Portsmouth area. ( summer holidays / ferries)
There will be greater delays en route due to BIG roadworks.

The new road will be 6.5km (4miles) long and includes 1.8km (1.1miles) twin bored tunnels under the Devil?s Punch Bowl Site of Special Scientific Interest.

Work is well "underway" and things are slower even off peak.

www.gnn.gov.uk/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=277409...2

"At peak times traffic will take an additional five minutes to drive through the work in the interests of safety."

Due to open Summer 2010 so a long job and I guess lots of disruption.

Lots od detail here
www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/3832.aspx

A3 delays ar Hindhead ( longterm) - mss1tw
Wow, how had I not heard about this?

They're not closing the road off that goes around the Punchbowl are they? :o( It rocks.
A3 delays ar Hindhead ( longterm) - Chris M
When the tunnels are open, they will be digging up the old road and returning it to nature.
A3 delays ar Hindhead ( longterm) - henry k
When the tunnels are open they will be digging up the old road and returning it to nature.

But no cyclists are allowed in the tunnels so refer to
www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/3841.aspx
which includes a comprehensive map.
Enjoy
A3 delays ar Hindhead ( longterm) - hjd
Have been going from Woking to Portsmouth this weekend. Sat left home at 6.30am, believed the RAC travel website which said roadworks 10pm to 6am..............till I got to Milford. Came off there, used A286 through Haslemere and rejoined A3 at Hindhead crossroads - no problems. Returning Sat 6pm took recommended detour via A325/Farnham/Hogs Back. A bit slow in places but not too bad.
Today took the Farnham route there and back - very heavy traffic through Farnham on the way there but relatively clear on the way back.
Wouldn't like to be doing that at rush hour!
A3 delays ar Hindhead ( longterm) - Altea Ego
Hindhead ahs been getting worse for some years now. I dont use it now, I go off the A3 at milford, down though petworth hit the A27 and into pompey that way. Return the same way.

Shame about the road round the punch bowl.

I have memories as a kid, traveling in the back of the motor. Early in the morning, sun just coming up, the mist curling out of the bowl and the old man anouncing "and here is where they hung the highwaymen, they would leave the bodies swinging for the crows to peck out their eyes"

I still shiver 45 years later.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
A3 delays ar Hindhead ( longterm) - boxsterboy
Yes, Hindhead has really worsened in recent years. Time was, a few years back, when there were quite a few bottlenecks on the A3 and the impact was more spread out. It's now the only single lane road between London and Portsmouth, plus rising traffic levels, means its a lot busier.

I too have my own detour, but if you don't mind, I'm not going to share it with the world!
A3 delays ar Hindhead ( longterm) - Martin Sweeney
I foresee a lot of frayed tempers at the new traffic-calming gates at Selborne not to mention a more miserable few years for the local inhabitants of this beautiful area. Still, can't make an omelette without breaking wind and all that.
A3 delays ar Hindhead ( longterm) - Roly93
I foresee a lot of frayed tempers at the new traffic-calming
gates at Selborne not to mention a more miserable few years
for the local inhabitants of this beautiful area. Still can't make
an omelette without breaking wind and all that.

I can't say I sympathise with the Selborne residents on this occasion, as we suffered the brunt in our village of their success in getting a HGV weight limit imposed, thus making our village the mandatory alternate route for a lot of HGV-1's we wouldn't otherwise have got !