4 lane motorways and wagons - Dick Head
Why on earth do they allow wagons in 3 lanes of a 4 lane motorway? They should be banned from the two outside lanes immediately.

What you get now is 4 lanes of cars funnelling into the outside lane of a 4 lane motorway because 3 wagon drivers decide they want to pass each other at the same time taking up lanes 1, 2 and 3!

Its criminal.

Oh and how come many drivers of box vans that weigh in at over 7 tons have started to use the OUTSIDE lane of a motorway? They are supposed to be banned from lane 3.
Re: 4 lane motorways and wagons - Tomo
Well, as long as they are going slowly enough not to trigger a camera and not driving a large shiny, or sports, car, who is interested in them?
Re: 4 lane motorways and wagons - Mark (Brazil)
Author: Tomo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: 16-04-02 19:02

Just answer the question.
Re: 4 lane motorways and wagons - Tomo
Mark (Brazil) wrote:
>
> Author: Tomo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
> Date: 16-04-02 19:02
>
> Just answer the question.

Tomo wrote:
>
> Well, as long as they are going slowly enough not to trigger
> a camera and not driving a large shiny, or sports, car, who
> is interested in them?

Dick Head wrote:
>
> Why on earth do they allow wagons in 3 lanes of a 4 lane
> motorway? They should be banned from the two outside lanes
> immediately.
>
> What you get now is 4 lanes of cars funnelling into the
> outside lane of a 4 lane motorway because 3 wagon drivers
> decide they want to pass each other at the same time taking
> up lanes 1, 2 and 3!
>
> Its criminal.
>
> Oh and how come many drivers of box vans that weigh in at
> over 7 tons have started to use the OUTSIDE lane of a
> motorway? They are supposed to be banned from lane 3.

Now, if the good Mark considers Dick's posting coolly and calmly, he should eventually detect that there are two questions, of which, clearly, I was in effect answering the second.

Must I in future spell things out at interminable length in text suitable to the meanest understanding, as somebody once put it?

Cheers, Tomo.
Re: 4 lane motorways and wagons - steve paterson
Box vans up to 7.5t GVW are allowed to use any lane on a motorway.
Re: 4 lane motorways and wagons - Simon Butterworth
Dick Head wrote:
>
> What you get now is 4 lanes of cars funnelling into the
> outside lane of a 4 lane motorway because 3 wagon drivers
> decide they want to pass each other at the same time taking
> up lanes 1, 2 and 3!
>

At least it is an interesting variation on 3 lanes of cars funnelling into the outer two in spite of the inner one being practically empty ;-)

Simon
Re: 4 lane motorways and wagons - CM
Exactly right Simon. There really is no point in building 4 lane motorways unless the public learns how to drive on them properly. It is interesting to see that people seem to have got the idea of dual carriageways but any more lanes confuses them.
Re: 4 lane motorways and wagons - Dave
"At least it is an interesting variation on 3 lanes of cars funnelling into the outer two in spite of the inner one being practically empty ;-)"

Right on Simon!!!!

Biked home Sunday night. Nearside lanes were EMPTY for miles! I was able to undertake for ages with a whole empty lane to my right as safety margin. Not so easy when th elorries are out!

I am convinced the problems for the traffic problems of the South East coudl be solved by better lane disicpline and less hesitancy at junctions.
Re: 4 lane motorways and wagons - John S
Dave/CM

I have great sympathy with the proposal to ban HGVs from the two outside lanes, as with 56miles/hr governors, 3 lanes of HGVs is an unreasonable roadblock.

Equally, I have always been amazed at the number of cars which happily cruise for miles, usually at an indicated 65, in lane 3 of 4-lane sections, with no intention of moving over. Just why does lane discipline seem to become even worse on these 4-lane sections?

In addition to the HGVs which block the inner lanes, I believe another factor is the practice of regular designating lane 1 as a dedicated exit lane, and many drivers, being at the best of times unwilling to change lanes, ignore lane 1 entirely, and then adopt the usual 'I'm sticking in lane 2' approach. Why they don't hit 70, though, is beyond me.

Regards

John
Re: 4 lane motorways and wagons - Brian
John
I have some sympathy for that viewpoint, I find that the M25, particularly the southern bit which I use infrequently, has poor signage to indicate whether the junction coming up is a straight turn-off or whether the inside lane disappears off into the countryside.
As a result, although I habitually stick to the inside lane if it is clear, on several occasions I have moved to the middle lane before the junction and have then had to go back in. Or else had to move out at a late stage, having found that I have guessed wrong!
Re: 4 lane motorways and wagons - Derek
I might not mind so much if they overtook on flat or downhill stretches. Instead, places like the M25 clockwise at Reigate seems to be a favourite. I followed one wagon up there one day, doing about 30 mph. The overtaker must have been doing all of 31.