mk 3 fiesta sump pan - milkyjoe
hi, having trouble getting the sump pan off , i dont want to start forcing the join with screwdrivers or such ,any help out there would be appreciated its probably been on since it was put together (1989) cheers
mk 3 fiesta sump pan - bell boy
assuming its not rotten
either a rubber hammer
or
a lump of wood hit by a metal hammer
make sure all the bolts are out ;-0
hit it on the bottom bit where it is strongest at the front under the radiator
dont forget when it comes off and rolls across your drive some more gungy oil will come out so use a few of the wifes favourite towels/blankets to mop it up (always goes down well this) stops you doing any more diy for months
mk 3 fiesta sump pan - piston power
put a scraper between the two mating surfaces and whack it with a hammer it will come off! don't use a screwdriver!!!!!.
mk 3 fiesta sump pan - the original horse
double check all the bolts are out there are two right next to the flywheel seal which are awkward to get out and easily missed, on no account strike it with just a hammer , you will just dent it ,
as an aside, i assume the engine is still in the car ? if yes then you are probably thinking of replacing of therubber seals at both ends of engine, be warned , they dont come round in the gasket package, they are flat and very awkward to hold in place while trying to jiggle the sump back on , my advice is, if theyre still securely stuck on the engine, then just leave them there and put some grease on them when replacing sump, i have done this on a few and yes they dont leak hope that helps,
mk 3 fiesta sump pan - milkyjoe
double check all the bolts are out there

cheers, im actually going to replace the timing chain and sprockets (very noisy) but the gasket set ive got has actually got round (curved) rubber seals but like you say if the old ones dont fall off i will leave them on , its a job im not looking forward to but im afraid the chain will jump off sooner or later and it will be goodbye cylinder head valves and piston crowns, ive seen posts on this site saying fiestas rattle anyway ,but how much they can take i wouldnt know, the car itself runs beautifuly it doesnt miss a beat but the aweful rattle at the lights is a bit annoying