Speed traps - Stuart
I make no comment on this other than to confirm that this is what he told me:

My friend is a policeman in Surrey. Every week they get hundreds of requests from ?communities? for a speed trap to be set up because ?those @!#$ motorists are speeding down our street threatening our children?s live?.

The police investigate and if there seems a basis to the complaint they do set up a speed trap eventually, and guess what? 70/80% of the people caught are locals including some who requested the speed trap (they check!).

Do these people say fair cop? Do they hell, they bitch and moan and one even went ahead and said what the others were clearly thinking ?there should be an exemption for locals, what we wanted was for you to catch those other @!#$?.
Re: Speed traps - Derek
I put up a similar post a couple of weeks ago. It's always the way. Very few 'rat runs' serve people travelling from more than a mile or two away.

One might also ask the people complaining, do they respect speed restrictions in areas that they drive through themselves?
Re: Speed traps - Trevor Potter
I was talking to an elderly couple in a bar in Spain
(that IS relevant).

They were moving to Spain to get away from Speed Cameras!!

He said "they catch the wrong people" , and was most upset when I laughed out loud.

When I asked whether he meant they were defective and caught people who were NOT speeding OR

The cameras had super-intelligent image recognition software and decided whether they "liked" Joe Bloggs before flashing,

he huffed, put down his beer and walked out.

As far as he was concerned, I was talking Martian.
Re: Speed traps - Alwyn
As you do, Trevor.
Re: Speed traps - Tom Shaw
The reason locals get caught is that in common with most of the population they do not realise what speeding is. They think it is driving either with the car at the limits of the drivers control, or going faster than the prevailing flow by overtaking everybody. They do not equate the 40 they travel at in a nice wide 30 limit as being anything wrong because everybody has always done it and it seems safe enough. When the camera arrives and they realise that 35 is enough for a nick it is then too late.
Absolutely correct.

A very common attitude is "Speeding is faster than me"!!!

That's part of the cowboys bleating "the speed I drive at is reasonable".
Re: Speed traps - neil
Its words like absolutely that give you away.
Perhaps suggesting that the mis-use of the English Language is something up with which I will not put?
Re: Speed traps - The
Trevor Potter wrote:

> Absolutely correct.
>
> A very common attitude is "Speeding is faster than me"!!!
>
> That's part of the cowboys bleating "the speed I drive at is
> reasonable".

He also wrote:

> 2 seconds in a 30 is nearly 5 (yes FIVE) car lengths. (88ft)
>
> 3 car lengths is enough.
>
> Make it 4 in a 40 - and 2 seconds from there on up.

Anyone got a copy of the Highway Code?

So that would be "dangerous gaps are smaller than mine"???

That's part of the advanced driving instructors bleating "the gap I leave is
reasonable".
Re: Speed traps - Motorhead

>A very common attitude is "Speeding is faster than me"!!!

>That's part of the cowboys bleating "the speed I drive at is reasonable".

Are you going to enjoy driving at 30mph EVERYWHERE, because some faceless idiot has decided that is all they will permit?

When we are all forced into traffic jams, are you going to be happy?

People like you are half the problem we have. Wake up, get real. Drive like you mean to get somewhere, and put some of your energy into RAISING speed limits instead of mindless compliance.

A. Driver