Shock Absorbers - Chris M
A simple question, but I'm not sure of the simple answer - if there is one. How do you know when it is time for new shock absorbers?

Obviously if they are leaking, there's abnormal tyre wear or they are completely knackered it's easy to tell. But is there a tool or machine for accessing their performance or is the only way the subjective deterioration in handling?
Shock Absorbers - bell boy
threre was a machine to show customers that their shockers were shocked
it was basically a ram that pushed the chosen wheel up quickly and then down quickly at quick intervals
i would call it a cash machine because no shocker could react to all this movement so quickly

so
if vehicle has done 70,000 then they are done
check everything else(consider the road springs have lost their twang as well obviously)this will mean shockers working harder to control the vehicle
the old push down on the wing for the old up down then settle still applies mind
Shock Absorbers - FotheringtonThomas
A simple question, but I'm not sure of the simple answer
- if there is one. How do you know when
it is time for new shock absorbers?

The "shock absorber" is composed of the damper and the spring (in various guises). If the spring is bust, or the damper has leaked, then it's time for a new component - otherwise, it should be OK. Your MOT test man will advise.
an mot man looks for leaks (gas shocks dont show oil)
and then he will bounce the car (most cars you cant do this properly like you could an old hilman hunter)
therefore............
sorry ft
Shock Absorbers - FotheringtonThomas
an mot man looks for leaks (gas shocks dont show oil)
and then he will bounce the car (most cars you cant
do this properly like you could an old hilman hunter)
therefore............
sorry ft

If the MOT allows shot gas dampers through without remark - which I'd tend to disbelieve - then there's something the matter with the MOT test. Perhaps someone who's (been) an MOT tester will elucidate.

have you never taken a car for test then and found the shocker u/s but the tester has missed it?
i certainly have
Shock Absorbers - Ruperts Trooper
Under normal wear circumstances, worn dampers need replacing long before they're bad enough for an MOT fail.

The MOT tester will (should) obviously fail if there's any leakage but to fail the bounce test there has to be virtually no damping left at all.

I find the best way to assess my own car is on a known undulating/ bumpy / twisty road - if it wallows or doesn't handle like it's used to, then it's time for new dampers.

Beware those "experts" that reckon on damper life of nn,000 miles for a particular model - in reality the life of dampers varies tremendously. A car used exclusively on a leisurely motorway commute will get 2-3 times the mileage out of dampers compared to one given a hard life on twisty roads with heavy loads, etc.
Shock Absorbers - Hamsafar
"an mot man looks for leaks (gas shocks dont show oil)"

Yes they do contain oil, the gas is in addition to oil.
Shock Absorbers - Another John H
If you follow a car along a road which has a badly maintained surface - ruts across the road, medium sized dips, and the odd pot hole - you can see if the car in front has badly defective shock absorbers.

There are two different effects to look for:

an odd wheel which bounces rapidly for several cycles after the rut or pot hole is easy to spot (generally on the back)

the whole car wallowing slowly about after a medium sized dip, again for several cycles.

Obviously if they're this bad it's well past time for a new set, but it's still surprises me how many I see, and some are quite new cars.
Shock Absorbers - martint123
The rear shock failed on one of my bikes. Other than the wheelspin when it dumped all it's oil on my rear tyre, it was like riding a pogo stick down the road. Impossible to miss something being wrong!
Shock Absorbers - Chris M
Thanks for the replies.

So it is down to the subjective test of whether the handling/ride has deteriorated. Thinking about it, if there was a machine for testing them, the fast fit places would have them to persuade us to part with more of our hard earned.
Shock Absorbers - bathtub tom
I had a colleague who took his motor to one of those deleted places - {the slang you used could have identified who you were referring to - DD} . They said his shockers were worn, and offerd to replace them. When they presented him with the bill, he produced the receipt from less than a year previous for new shockers! They argued that they didn't say they were worn out, just worn. He didn't pay.
One of my current motors, an ancient Kia Pride, has the softest springs and lightest damping I've ever had. It wallows, but the damping is effective. It's the best car I've ever experienced over speed bumps, but I've never tried a Citroen hydro whatsit.