Rear wheel area - grinding (E46 BMW) - UncleR
One thing after another...

Other half reported a 'strange noise' coming from the car today. I had a look and the sound is a metallic grinding noise coming from the rear of the car. It is apparent with the engine off if I roll it along. It's quite loud at low speed and it appeared out of the blue today.

My first thought was wheel bearings?

Any ideas what I'm looking at before it goes in for a check? If it's wheel bearings I'm assuming that's not big money?

Thanks
Rear wheel area - grinding (E46 BMW) - Aprilia
Stone stuck in brakes?
Rear wheel area - grinding (E46 BMW) - UncleR
@Aprilia - Just maybe...

I went to see and couldn't see anything obvious. So I gently flexed the brake disc shield on both wheels just to see if anything dropped out. The tiniest flake of something dropped out but I didn't think much of that. But a quick spin round the block reveals silent wheels again. So thanks for the suggestion, time to wash my hands.
Rear wheel area - grinding (E46 BMW) - andy1988
check obvious brake pads,could be bushes on trailing arms worn,just under rear passenger floor,quite common.
Rear wheel area - grinding (E46 BMW) - bell boy
it was a stone andy
very common these days
the councils throw them on roads rather than using real tar
Rear wheel area - grinding (E46 BMW) - frazerjp
I can remember having a screeching sound from my old Pug 205, a bit like slipping fan belt IIRC.
When our mobile mechanic came round to service it, he took the wheel off & brush round the drum area, put the wheel back, problem solved!!
But yes it was quite scarey thou at first.

--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)