4 x 4 options - KPmanchester
After weighing up options suggested in my previous discussion on what vehicle to tow a one horse trailer and horse, I am now in a quandary as to what 4x4 diesel to buy. I want the smallest vehicle capable of towing a minimum of 1500kg, with the most economical fuel consumption, as I clock up a fair mileage. I have had conflicting reports about the Landrover Freelander, any feedback welcome! I have a budget of up to £8000.
4 x 4 options - flynn
Have seen a few owners very happy with the X-trail for towing horses. One has used his for the last 3 years to tow a horsebox and a 16.2 and a 15.1 horse weighing 1800Kg all up. Honest grown-up looks rather than the hairdresser styling of some in the class with a wash-down plastic-lined boot for the mucky stuff and the dogs. Top of the range models have leather seats, sat-nav, sunroof, xenons and all the toys as standard. With 4x4s it tends to be a trade-off between off-road and on-road ability but the X-trail does pretty well on both counts. Like the Honda CR-V it automatically switches from 2x4 to 4x4 as it detects wheelspin but unlike the Honda can be locked in 4x4 if the going gets heavy or 2x4 for economy. The Kia Sorrento does well off-road but not so good a ride on tarmac, then there's the heavier stuff if you need more weight.