VWGolf3 TDi cuts out - Tony Soprano
VW golf3 TDi,1996-This car has started cutting out for no reason,it cut out just as I was overtaking a lorry,switch the ignition off an on and try to restart it,but no glo plug light,and wont start,leave for five mins,and then it starts,but same prob 20 miles later.Fuel filter?glo plug prob?Electrical gremlin? Any ideas?
T
VWGolf3 TDi cuts out - Screwloose
Tony

Sounds very like a problem with relay 109 in the dash relay box.

Remove it; pop the cover off and inspect the soldered joints. Any sign of cracks or heating, then either resolder or fit a new one.
VWGolf3 TDi cuts out - Tony Soprano
Thanks Screwloose,I`m 99.9% certain that your diagnosis is correct.After driving the car for a while,I took out relay 109 to check it.The first thing I noticed was that it was very hot,(unlike the other relays),when I opened it,I could smell that familiar electrical burnt out smell,and although I couldnt see any cracks in the solder,one of the blobs of solder looked frazzled.Checked some of the online forums and it seems like the older black 109 relays,(which was what mine was) are prone to malfunction as the solder on them is too weak,the newer grey ones are apprently less likely to give up the ghost.The only strange thing is when I fitted the new one,it seems only go in upside down,ie,when you look at the relays now,all the others read the right way up apart from that one which now reads 601!Hope this isnt a problem.Thanks again for your help,and keep up the good work guys!
Tony
VWGolf3 TDi cuts out - mark25
Some of the relays on a mk3 golf do run hot, almost too hot to touch. The new relay is probably an upgraded different type, a couple of relays have been upgraded by VW. So if you ask for a spare you may well get a different type.