Vectra MIL - Chris M
It's a 2001 1.8 and I foolishly gave it a wash and vacuumed it out on Saturday. I don't know what came over me!

Anyway, there was a bit of moving the car about where the engine wasn't running for long. Not something it likes when the engine is cold, but not usually a problem whilst it's still slightly warm. Started it Sunday morning and it was running very rough, but cleared after a minute or two and has run fine since. However, the MIL came on and stayed on (obviously only when engine running) until my way home from work this evening, when for some reason, it didn't come on.

It did the same thing a year or two back. At that time I took it to my local indy who attached Tech 2 and reported no fault codes. I thought I'd have to do the same thing this time, as I thought once the light was on it stayed on until cleared by a Tech 2.

Do / should they clear themselves?
Vectra MIL - Dynamic Dave
However, the MIL came on

MIL?
Are you referring to the ECU fault light?
I thought once the light was on it stayed on until cleared by a Tech 2.
Do / should they clear themselves?

If no fault is present the next time you turn the key, then the ECU fault light won't come on as there is no longer a fault to report. However, for a period of time afterwards a fault code will be stored in memory.
Vectra MIL - Chris M
"Are you referring to the ECU fault light?" - I am.

Thanks for the clarification.
Vectra MIL - Dynamic Dave
"Are you referring to the ECU fault light?" - I am.
Thanks for the clarification.

After a google, I see that it can also be called an MIL. I never previously heard it called that before, hence the query ;o)
Vectra MIL - Chris M
I wasn't sure what to call it when I posted originally. I was thinking of calling it the engine management light, but I'm sure I've seen it referred to on here as MIL.
Vectra MIL - Screwloose
DD/Chris

MIL is standard trade [and EOBD] parlance. M-alfuntion I-ndicator L-ight.

Although not exclusively an engine ECU acronym, it seems to have become accepted as such.

Malfunction indicator lights on other systems seem to just get referred to as that system's light: "Airbag light;" "ABS light" etc.