Renault Megane 1.4 Not Starting Right - j0nn13
I have an '02 Renault Megane 1.4 16v Fidji which I've had from new with not many problems.

Last month it started having trouble starting, the engine would try to turn over but wouldn't start up.

It would after a few attempts however start up and once it did start, it would drive quite happily.

It then got worse and wouldn't start at all, even though it sounded like it was turning over properly, it just wouldn't start up at all :-(

I bump started it and took it down to the local garage, but they couldn't find a fault. They said they checked the Battery, Starter Motor, Leads and Spark Plugs and they all seemed ok, it was just as though a spark wasn't reaching the engine?

So they reckon it'll need to go back to a renault dealer :-(

Anyone have any ideas? If you do get it started, once you switch it off and back on again, it'll start straight away, but if you leave it more than an hour or so, it goes back to being extremely hard to start.

Cheers, Jonny
Renault Megane 1.4 Not Starting Right - Screwloose
Jonny

The crank sensor [aka TDC sensor] would be my first thought. They can be prone to interference from the starter motor.

The coolant temp sensor's worth a check too. Getting the fault-codes read by a suitably equipped garage would be useful too.