Tyres on alloys - advice please - flynn
Only done 5K miles and just picked up a 4" cutnail in a tyre. Bit close to the edge so looks like a new tyre needed. Kwik-fit wanted a silly price but a local place gave me a decent quote. Then checked with E-tyres and they were another £30 less fully fitted, great.

Only thought was the local dealer has one of those Corghi high-tech tyre machines (like this www.performancealloys.com/tyre_fit.asp ) that barely touches the wheel whereas E-tyres uses a mobile fitter with just the old-fashionedl big lever and brute force.

As the wheel is almost brand new and without a scratch would break my heart if they scraped the laquer. So was wondering if anyone else had seen an alloy damaged fitting tyres or am I being way too wussy about my precious wheels? Any thoughts?
Tyres on alloys - advice please - BazzaBear {P}
I can definitely see your point. Take the E-tyre quote to the dealer with the fancy machine, and see how close they can get to it?
Tyres on alloys - advice please - LeePower
It all depends on the person doing the fitting, even with an all singing & dancing fitting machine the rim could get damaged if an idiot is trying to use it.

Local tyre fitters I use have an older tyre fitting machine & they never scratch an alloy wheel using it, just takes a bit of care & you wont get a problem.

Tyres on alloys - advice please - Bill Payer
I come to the conclusion that it's impossible to get tyre fitted to alloy wheels with the fitter messing the wheel up.

I last went an hours drive to a highly recommended place who used to say on their website 'we won't damage your alloys' (but that statement has now been removed) and they managed to gouge the surface of one of my wheels. It's as if they walked into something while carrying the wheel - reckon they did it on purpose.
They just shrugged and said to get it fixed but that's more inconvenience for me. The only thing that would satisy me would be a new wheel, and that's never going to happen so I just left it and resolve to tell everybody I can about it - pity I can't name and shome on here.
Tyres on alloys - advice please - Roger Jones
Plan a refurb when you change your tyres. Get the refurbers to do the change. They won't want to see their work messed up.