Car for Inlaws - Brian AKA Bill Doodson
Hi folks,

To follow on from a subject several months ago, the inlaws are looking to buy a new car. They are both in their 70s and not in the best of health, in fact the father in law has stopped driving. My mother in law is well up to the job apart from some athritis. They have a Golf (Jan 99 1.6 auto ) loaded with toys to trade in and we will take the old 20,000 mile B reg Polo of their hands to replace the Panda.
Based on HJs recommendations I have pointed them in the direction of the Yaris Verso GLS (air con), and this weekend whilst in Newcastle I took them to look at one. The main problem is that they don?t do YELLOW, MIL has always had yellow cars so she can find them easily in the car parks, try the Metro centre car parks and you will see why. She has also had Polos that have then been passed to us, I just don?t think that the new Polo is the right car for them even though you can get it in YELLOW for £150 extra. The price is similar for the spec as far as I can see, BUT! I also mentioned the Honda Jazz but the choice of another car is confusing the situation somewhat and the last thing I want to do is that.
So with two people in their 70s somewhat infirm and going to get worse, doing less than 4K per year, what is going to be the most reliable and economical and most sense for them to have, if the Honda is better than the Verso then I would go back upto Newcastle to take them to see it, if the Polo is better then fine we can have a harder look at that.
What should we ask for in the way of trade in for the Golf against all three cars and how much should we try to beat the dealers down on the list price of the cars?
Could we get a better deal by selling the Golf in a private sale and then buying one of the others from a Supermarket?
Would the main agents then service the car from new even though its not been bought from them? Or should I just keep my head down and not try to help?!!!!!

Regards

Bill.
Re: Car for Inlaws - ChrisR
Presumably they don't drive far in any one go. What about a Smart? Distinctive, economical, brightly coloured...

Chris
Re: Car for Inlaws - geoff
I guess I know the answer to this but would they not be better off using taxis for £80 per week as fixed costs depreciation tax insurance servicing etc must be nearly £4000 per year.
If they needed a car for a long journey they could hire provided at 70 they could get insurance ex hire company.
I agree about Metro centre as I have loast mone before and I am only 57!!!
Re: Car for Inlaws - Mark (Brazil)
>>Could we get a better deal by selling the Golf in a private sale and then buying one of the others from a Supermarket?

Without any doubt at all. So long as you can live with the hassle of selling a car and all the bargaining stuff that goes with it. Some people hate it - me, for example.
Re: Car for Inlaws - Steve G
Why not phone a few VW dealers and get a price for your Golf against a new Polo ? Will give you a rough idea.
If you buy from a supermarket thier trade-in offers will be VERY low because they dont really want P/ex's.
Selling privately is like Mark said a hassle but usually worthwhile.
You are doing the right thing buy shopping around you can save hundreds or even thousands by doing your homework.
One more suggestion....
What about a New Mini ? you dont mention your budget but for around £10500 you could by a yellow Mini. For just £100 you get 5 years free servicing as well.
Re: Car for Inlaws - Bill Doodson
Thanks guys, the Smart is too small and hard to get in and out of and is far to radical for my mother in law. I hadnt considered the mini but a quick read of the Car-by-Car breakdown put me off even suggesting it, see HJs comments on the colour yellow.

All the best

Bill
Re: Car for Inlaws - Todd
What about a Seat Ibiza or Seat Leon. The Ibiza is better, bigger and cheaper than a Polo, and there are lots available in Yellow. Should be able to get a good price on a old shape Ibiza.
Re: Car for Inlaws - Dan J
SWMBO had a 1.3 Yaris GLS for test drive all last weekend and I can honestly say you'd be hard pushed to buy a better car in that class.

The one we had was in "Flame Gold", certainly too bright for us and not far off yellow. Would they not be happy with that?
Re: Car for Inlaws - Paul
My grandparents (in their 80's) have just bought a Yaris I dentical to the one Dan J wrote about;
>
> SWMBO had a 1.3 Yaris GLS for test drive all last weekend and
> I can honestly say you'd be hard pushed to buy a better car
> in that class.
>
> The one we had was in "Flame Gold", certainly too bright for
> us and not far off yellow. Would they not be happy with that?

They love it, I also had a drive and was tempted not to give it back, a really funky, fun and practical car. Looks great in the gold as well.
Re: Car for Inlaws - Dan J
SWMBO had a 1.3 Yaris GLS for test drive all last weekend and I can honestly say you'd be hard pushed to buy a better car in that class.

The one we had was in "Flame Gold", certainly too bright for us and not far off yellow. Would they not be happy with that?
Re: Car for Inlaws - Flat in Fifth
Or a Fabia also available in yellow.

As an alternative suggestion, I know its cheesy, but how about what we have done in huge car parks on holiday.

" just tie a yellow ribbon to the old aerial"
I know it doesn't scan but you get the picture
Re: Car for Inlaws - terryb
Wouldn't any vivid, sorry, distinctive colour do? There are some pretty disgusting ones out there and as Dan says some are quite close variants to yellow.

SWMBO's "aqua" Berlingo for one - stands out a mile in Sainsburys car park!
Re: Car for Inlaws - Neil
Why not buy a car in either blue, green, yellow, or red, and then always park in that colour car park in the Metro Centre?

Would a normal Yaris in Flame Gold do the job or does it have to be a Verso?
Re: Car for Inlaws - CM
My step-grandmother-in-law (I think!!) bought a Micra, which she hates.