Cam Chain snaps after MOT at garage! - bernsville
I went to collect my car after my MOT from a garage in Gosport. I was gravely told by a mechanic that after they had done the work on my car, they went to start the car and the cam chain snapped!! He said they would replace the chain, but as i'm sure you're aware the chain snapping could have completely screwed the engine up. I'm waiting to find out what the extent of the damage is, but i'm unsure where i stand on the cost of the repairs. Does the garage have to foot the bill as the problem occured whilst they had the car, what are my rights, or am i looking at a hefty repair bill? Anybody in the know about this sort of thing? Anyone experienced a similar scenario, what did you do?
Cam Chain snaps after MOT at garage! - mss1tw
Definitely a chain?
Cam Chain snaps after MOT at garage! - Rattle
How much milleage has the car done? What work was being done for the MOT? Its unsual for a chain to snap unless its done high milleage, infrequent oil change or incorrect tension I would have thought.

Cam Chain snaps after MOT at garage! - geoff1248
As the chain (belt) went at virtually zero revs I reckon you will be able to get away with just a replacement chain. You "could" have been hammering down the motorway.... Don't think you can claim against the garage unless you can prove negligence.
Cam Chain snaps after MOT at garage! - Wales Forester
More likely to have snapped as the engine was being revved for the emissions test I would think, not that the garage is likely to admit to that. My local MOT garage has a disclaimer (of sorts) on the wall regarding just such a failure during test, not sure what the legal standing is though.
The car is a ford Mondeo m reg and yes it had done a lot of mileage, 180, 000 miles. It is definitely the cam chain.

Cam Chain snaps after MOT at garage! - Screwloose
bernsville

This must be a 2.5 V6 engine - yes? If the chain snapped at start-up, then that was just unfortunate - there was nothing that the garage could have done to cause it, forsee it, or stop it. It could just have easily happened to you - the luck of the draw.

You will need to be very lucky not to have valve damage. Do you know which chain has gone?
Cam Chain snaps after MOT at garage! - spikeyhead {p}
Commiserations. If the car failed the MOT then scrap it. You should be able to pick up a similar example for less than the cost of and engine rebuild. Probably worth just asking the garage if they know somewhere that's got some reliable cheapies for sale.instead of them fitting a new chain to an engine that may well have bent valves.

As far as I know you're not due any compensation for the broken chain. It would have happened anyway, its not something that the garage can break by negligence any more than it throwing a rod.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
The unfortunate thing was that the car was running extremely well, and the failures were minor, tyres, lights , number plate and a leaky exhaust. i would have done it myself if i had the time. then this happens.
Cam Chain snaps after MOT at garage! - stunorthants26
When did you last have the chain checked? As much as they claim these are usually everlasting, thats usually within the typical lifespan of the car and at 180k, I certainly would have had the chain checked or replaced, just to be safe - I recall when I had a Sierra, the owners club recommended chaning the chain on chain driven models regardless of what Ford said as they eventually do snap.
yes, i was led to believe that these chains last pretty much forever. I've had the car for 2 years, a present from my Dad, so i've never actually had the car serviced or checked, as it's old and it seems a lot of money to spend on a car of that age and mileage. I just regulary checked the car and done repairs and replaced the parts myself.
Cam Chain snaps after MOT at garage! - cheddar
Is it a 2.5 V6?
Cam Chain snaps after MOT at garage! - LeePower
yes, i was led to believe that these chains last pretty
much forever. I've had the car for 2 years, a
present from my Dad, so i've never actually had the car
serviced or checked, as it's old and it seems a lot
of money to spend on a car of that age and
mileage. I just regulary checked the car and done repairs
and replaced the parts myself.

Please say you have at least changed the oil & filter in these 2 years you have had the car?

Cam Chain snaps after MOT at garage! - PhilW
"so i've never actually had the car serviced or checked"

In 2 years? Asking for trouble in a car of that mileage/age.
--
Phil
Sorry LeePower - think we are asking the same thing. I'm a slow reader/typer!!
--
Phil
If the filter/oil has not been changed in two years the engines pretty much had it anyway. My dad that with his Lada, by 65k it needed a new gearbox, new piston rings, new camshaft etc. It was scrapped.

Cam Chain snaps after MOT at garage! - Peter D
A petrol model is only revved to 2,500 ish rpm unlike a diesel that hites the limiter, I hate that. If it was a petrol then is it an inteference engine or not. Regards Peter
Cam Chain snaps after MOT at garage! - Micky
180k? It's done well. Throw it away.

You could always ask the garage to compensate you for the value of the car ......
Yes i've done an oil change myself and of course the filter has been replaced. I'm basically looking at a car that is past its sell by date, and i'm too emotionaly involved with it to throw it away. This is after all, my first car. Thanks for the advice it's been useful, keep it coming.
Cam Chain snaps after MOT at garage! - LeePower
At the end of the day its just a car & they do have a limited lifespan.

3 options.

1) Spend more money then its worth to fit a second hand lump.

2) Its about £70 a ton if you weigh it in

3) Ebay it for spares or repairs.

I would say its time to move on & look for another car, thats unless you fancy diy fitting & hunting for a replacement lump.
Cam Chain snaps after MOT at garage! - barchettaman
....i'm too emotionaly involved with it to throw it away. This is after all, my first car.........

There comes a time when you have to let it go. It´s over - it was great, you had fun, great times together, but it wasn´t meant to be forever. Learn from the experience. Remember the good times.

I´ll shut up now.
Cam Chain snaps after MOT at garage! - fossyant
It really shouldn't be failing on tyres - that's a big oversight.

Any car get's some serious use day to day, if anyone is worried about it getting revved on a test, then the car's not been looked after enough !

I do hope this two year test never comes in !

To be honest, it's probably likely that the chain would have snapped any day, just coincidence that it did on the test.

Worth stripping if other parts in good condition before scrapping. There is a growing market for parts via ebay, now it's easy for joe public to get their hands on bits !
Bernsville,
Please understand that I' m a rank amateur with regard to this, but I think you need to post some other details to get more meaningful advice.
1. Exactly what engine is it? Then experts on here can tell you whether it is an "interference" or "non-interference" engine. (ie, whether the cam chain going at low revs means replacement of chain will give you a "runner" or whether the engine is likely to be completely shot even if chain is replaced)
2. When garage said they would "replace the chain", does that mean they would do it for free because that would restore your car to a "runner" or are they replacing the chain because it broke when in their care but the rest of the valves/head etc would still be done for. Seems odd they would offer to "replace the chain" if they didn't think the car would still run.
3. I understand that you are "too emotionally involved with it to throw it away. This is after all, my first car.", but it is just a lump of metal, and spending hundreds of pounds on repairs would be better spent on a replacement - a replacement that you would grow just as attached to!
--
Phil
I am the same with my Fiesta. I know its only worth £400, but I would happily spend £250-£300 on getting through the MOT, because I am emotionaly attached to it. I know I have sworn at it when it brokle down on me, I know it has more rust than Llandudno Pier but I do love the car.
Cam Chain snaps after MOT at garage! - Stuartli
Play dumb with the garage and check out what it is prepared to do to put matters right.

If it's decided that financially it's not worth it the, as others say, move on to your next car. As one whose driven dozens and dozens of cars over the years, as well as owning around a dozen different models, I can assure you that you will come to love your next conveyance just as much, if not more.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by