Not bangernomics - J Bonington Jagworth
As we discussed recently, there seems to be an obsession with low mileages in this country (and elsewhere, for all I know). I found this example on Ebay recently:

tinyurl.com/37cve5

and although it was a nice car 25 years ago (and with no disrespect to its last owner, who may well have cossetted it) I've seen too many rusty ones a decade ago to have much confidence in this one, although it seems set to fetch a healthy price.

I rather fancied one when they were current, but I haven't seen a whole one for some time...
Not bangernomics - track
Id rather have a 200k mile car with loads of history than a low miler with patchy history. I know from experience a driven engine stays healthier than a stood engine and that doesnt evn factor in bushes etc that perish with age regardless of use as well.
It always niggles me when people say oooh I got this, one elderly lady owner from new and low miles and they act smug about it. The niggle turns to amusement though when 2 months later the bottom end rattles or the gearbox fails due to the way it has been driven!!
"a driven engine stays healthier than a stood engine"

Indeed. 31k miles in nearly 28 years is pretty alarming! Not sure where he gets 'only 250 made' from, either - I know they're rare now...
Not bangernomics - Peter S
Look at that interior :-)
Not bangernomics - Martin Devon

Curry house!!

MD

>Curry house!!

For some reason, I've suddenly got a mental image of Jason King sitting in it...
(shudder)
Not bangernomics - Pugugly {P}
Nor me - doesn't seem an unreasonable price at the moment f it floats your boat - I wouldn't want it. Straight six I think that one wasn't it and RWD which would be a little bit of a redeeming feature. Certainly very different and could feature quite nicely in "unusual Sightings" thread. I started work in this year. The car seems in better nick than me.......
Not bangernomics - Martin Devon
I started work in this year.

Boody youngsters!!!

MD
Not bangernomics - stunorthants26
Full and detailed service history with lots of non-service items having been changed always gets my attention with a banger - my old '86 Mazda 323 that I had until last year was a case in point - it was up for £200 with MOT but came with bills in the last year for more than £600, mainly for parts which you only change once every 10 years, so it made a good buy and I sold it for over £300 6 months later.
Not bangernomics - BazzaBear {P}
I started work in this year.

That's a coincidence, I started teething in this year! ;)
Well Bazza, thanks to a very economically active life and excellent financial housekeeping by SWMBO you won't have to contribute a penny towards my dotage (which I propose to start in July 09 if I live that long !)

BTW wasn't the Royale and Carlton only sold to customers of a certain type. I'm sure I read that they weren't cars to be sold to "rouges" or suchlike ?
Not bangernomics - Tim Allcott
I guess you mean rogues, PU but given the colour of the interior, your Freudian slip is completely understandable....
Tim{P}
Not bangernomics - Avant
Do you see where it's for sale? Wigan. It's done this small mileage because the owner was forever getting lost.

If that's the way the seller spells 'excellent', I wonder how much knowledge he has about the rest of the car. Maybe 231,000 miles?

But a nice car - lovely straight-six engine. Just to show how ancient I am, V-reg was the vintage of my first company car - a Renault 20TS, the first of seven reliable Renaults which all did high mileages.
Avant - very very funny that. In them days a TomTom was an ethnic percussion instrument. How times have changed. I bought a Pentax ME super SLR camera in 1980, it still works - very well. It cost £120.00. I bought a fully featured Fujfilm digi cam on Sunday it cost me £149.00, wonder which one will still be around in 27 years time. Makes you think.
Not bangernomics - Martin1981
I know an elderly chap up in Leicester who has a 1987 E reg Fiat Regatta with only 15k on the clock, although it looks as if it has 200k on the clock as the interior is badly worn and the bodywork is faded. Still got original tyres and exhaust and has been mainly used for local shopping runs, with only occasional motorway runs to London and back. My 1994 306TD is rapidly nearing 200k (192k at the mo) and the bodywork shines like new when washed and the interior isn't bad either.

Martin
"Still got original tyres ... with only occasional motorway runs"

Thank God for that!
>If that's the way the seller spells 'excellent'

I agree - it does make one wonder. In fact, the poor standard of spelling on Ebay is a crushing indictment of educational policy over the years, but it does make bargain-hunting more entertaining, especially if you try deliberately misspelling a search term!

There are currently 4 items under 'Vuaxhall'...
Not bangernomics - jase1
The Fat Fingers website is great for acquiring cheap stuff from idiots :)
Not bangernomics - henry k
>>... poor standard of spelling on Ebay is a crushing indictment of educational policy over the years, but it does make bargain-hunting more entertaining, especially if you try deliberately misspelling a search term!
It is not just spelling. I was looking for an Xpelair fan. I saw several Expelair fans for sale that included in the the photo the original Xpelair box . Doh!!
Not bangernomics - Baskerville
>If that's the way the seller spells 'excellent'
I agree - it does make one wonder. In fact, the
poor standard of spelling on Ebay is a crushing indictment of
educational policy over the years...

Funny you should say that. Back in the early 1990s I worked for a large city council and by far the worst spellers was the the generation born in the 1920s and 1930s. It was very noticeable--presumably many of them had their edukashun interrupted by global events. The best were those born in the 1950s and 1960s. I remember this because one of the people I worked with was doing a PhD on literacy education (most of us were doing part-time PhDs in something or other). I wonder if another generation was let down in the 1980s and 1990s.
Not bangernomics - madf
The Edukation Deepartmint in the Gov't in the late 60s and 70s decided that spelin was not important.

They've moved on now.. neother is arithmatik, on english or french or anyfing apart from media studies..

In all seriousness there are some real muppets making policy..... dumbing down everyfink...
madf
Not bangernomics - DP
Media studies? Pah!

When I was in education and we wanted a skive, we chose archaeology!

Even slacking was done more intelligently in them days... ;-)

Cheers
DP
Not bangernomics - Group B
When I started University in 1991, friends used to ask me to spell-check their essays for them, there was a couple of people whose spelling was terrible. I used to wonder how people can get a degree when they can't spell; but then I got a degree with an engineering element, and my maths was pretty poor. It is improved now, but I've grown up in the age of the calculator... ;o)

Back to cars, I was never that keen on the look of the front of the Royale, I thought the Opel Monza was better looking when that came out... My boss had one when I had a Saturday job at 16. snipurl.com/1bktn
Not bangernomics - AlastairW
Completely off topic, but I'll have you know it took me (38 yr old accountant, degree in Chemistry) the better part of an hour to do do my 11 yr old sons maths homework last night...;-)
"the better part of an hour to do do my 11 yr old sons maths homework"

We have the same trouble in our house. Strange how every effort to reform educational methods seems to produce worse results but, as with industry and government, it's what you get when you listen to 'consultants' and keep reorganising.

IIRC, when I was at school in the 60's, most of the text books were at least 40 years old, but the only thing that gave it away were the worked examples, such as: 'an aeroplane flying at 80mph'...
Not bangernomics - Cliff Pope
entertaining, especially if you try deliberately misspelling a search term!

Like mis-spelling?
"Like mis-spelling?"

Don't think so...
Not bangernomics - LHM

Apparently, in Los Angeles the car was known as a "Royale with Cheese"...
I see the price has come down a bit. Someone's had second thoughts, presumably after mentioning it in the pub...